What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also find that a Glencairn is almost too good at what it does when it comes to high-proof stuff. Too much alcohol on the nose, difficult to pick out anything else. I only use mine when I'm drinking ~100 proof stuff (which is almost never haha), use a straight rocks glass for the big bourbons.
Interesting you say that considering my pending reviews forthcoming using the Glencairn lol. I find that whenever i'm drinking hard liquor that if my nose is exposed when drinking I get hit with the alcohol only. So I guess that's why I love the my glencairn so much (keeps my nose out of the way). It's probably why I stayed away from any whiskey until I was 30 and more into my heavy research state of mind. I don't think I ever would've discovered things like snifters and Glencairn's if I hadn't.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Brother's of Bourbon I'm privileged to inform you that I will be adding 8 blind bourbon reviews to this great thread. A week ago I was gifted the rare opportunity by a fellow & extremely generous BOTL member (@erjaq), with 8 Barrel Proof & not so easily allocated fine bourbons. I cannot begin to express my deep appreciation & excitement for this chance. I will try not to disappoint. Literally grinning ear to ear right now. @erjaq is gonna then respond to the thread with the correct answer, depending on how good I am with my estimations (probably way off but this Jersey Boy can get cocky sometimes)

We had agreed on this "blind review" format because it's way more fun, & gives me a chance to test my knowledge & palate a little more (or just my imagination lol). Wrong or right I'm certainly enjoying myself. I chose to sample one per day (although my busy schedule has tested that some), because I wanted all my senses to be aligned due to the high proof of barrel strength. It was amusing not knowing what I was tasting, and a little scary, as I taste my bourbon neat & could just as easily be drinking 140 proof lol. I don't have too much experience with high proof Bourbon (Bookers, OGD 114, & Noah's Mill), so this a learning experience for me.

I agreed to not only take a guess on the bourbon name but I took it 2 steps further & told erjaq that I'd also guess the Age & Proof. (there's that Jersey cockiness seeping through lol)

Apologies in advance for my over-wordiness & over-analytical reviews...its just my way. Reviews coming soon.

- My rescue dog Chance is anxiously awaiting to see what's inside -

- For a 3000 mile commute he spared no expense securing them -

- Figured you guys would be as blind as I was going into this, so no Glencairn shots (plus I wanted to save most of the sample to knowingly enjoy them for future tastings) -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Hey Brother's of Bourbon I'm privileged to inform you that I will be adding 8 blind bourbon reviews to this great thread. A week ago I was gifted the rare opportunity by a fellow & extremely generous BOTL member (@erjaq), with 8 Barrel Proof & not so easily allocated fine bourbons. I cannot begin to express my deep appreciation & excitement for this chance. I will try not to disappoint. Literally grinning ear to ear right now. @erjaq is gonna then respond to the thread with the correct answer, depending on how good I am with my estimations (probably way off but this Jersey Boy can get cocky sometimes)

We had agreed on this "blind review" format because it's way more fun, & gives me a chance to test my knowledge & palate a little more (or just my imagination lol). Wrong or right I'm certainly enjoying myself. I chose to sample one per day (although my busy schedule has tested that some), because I wanted all my senses to be aligned due to the high proof of barrel strength. It was amusing not knowing what I was tasting, and a little scary, as I taste my bourbon neat & could just as easily be drinking 140 proof lol. I don't have too much experience with high proof Bourbon (Bookers, OGD 114, & Noah's Mill), so this a learning experience for me.

I agreed to not only take a guess on the bourbon name but I took it 2 steps further & told erjaq that I'd also guess the Age & Proof. (there's that Jersey cockiness seeping through lol)

Apologies in advance for my over-wordiness & over analytical reviews...its just my way. Reviews coming soon.

- My rescue dog Chance is anxiously awaiting to see what's inside -

- For a 3000 mile commute he spared no expense securing them -

- Figured you guys would be as blind as I was going into this, so no Glencairn shots (plus I wanted to save most of the sample to knowingly enjoy them for future tastings) -

Looking forward to seeing the reviews and guesses. And very cool move @erjaq ️.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just wanted @erjaq to know (publicly this time haha) that I appreciate you making tasting these rare bourbons into a reality for me. I didn't think I'd ever get the chance to experience these hard to allocate bourbons and you certainly made it your mission to alter that. So thanks again.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blind Bourbon Review #1
Sample designation: A
Glass Used: Glencairn
Served: Neat

Bourbon Name: Originally guessed it as "EHT Barrel Proof"

However upon a unprovoked hint by @erjaq, he said this was his favorite (or at least top 3) Bourbon EVER & very difficult to source. So my answer needed to change.

Revised Bourbon Name: George T Stagg

Proof: 143.0
Color: Rich reddish Mahagony
Legs in Glass: Sturdy

Bouquet:
Deep spice but very approachable given its alleged high proof. Butter & brown sugar, lite Carmel Apple on the background, Lancaster shoofly pie.

Primed Palette & Taste:
Very similar to the aroma, rich & flavor inducing shock. A fiery Carmel applebomb soaked in rich baking spices.

Mouthfeel:
A real tongue zinger. Deep & luscious, viscous, rich mouth coating goodness. Left an oily glaze that stuck to my palette. Very chewy.

Finish:
Long & lingering. A tongue zinger at the very end, which surprised me as the bourbon made its way forward instead of backwards. Zero chest or throat burn. Builds slowly but surely.

Misc:
Wasn't fully prepared for its high proof (?) as its a blind review. A 1st for me. Somewhat similar to Ferrari shopping while blindfolded.
I foolishly took my first sip w/o hydrating my palette (if this is 140 proof, that makes me Rocky lol as I just took it)

My favorite as well thus far. So what say you @erjaq?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Blind Bourbon Review #1
Sample designation: A

Bourbon Name: Originally guessed it as "EHT Barrel Proof"

However upon a unprovoked hint by @erjaq, he said this was his favorite (or at least top 3) Bourbon EVER & very difficult to source. So my answer needed to change.

Revised Bourbon Name: George T Stagg

Proof: 143.0
Color: Rich reddish Mahagony
Legs in Glass: Sturdy

Bouquet:
Deep spice but very approachable given its alleged high proof. Butter & brown sugar, lite Carmel Apple on the background, Lancaster shoofly pie.

Primed Palette & Taste:
Very similar to the aroma, rich & flavor inducing shock. A fiery Carmel applebomb soaked in rich baking spices.

Mouthfeel:
A real tongue zinger. Deep & luscious, viscous, rich mouth coating goodness. Left an oily glaze that stuck to my palette. Very chewy.

Finish:
Long & lingering. A tongue zinger at the very end, which surprised me as the bourbon made its way forward instead of backwards. Zero chest or throat burn. Builds slowly but surely.

Misc:
Wasn't fully prepared for its high proof (?) as its a blind review. A 1st for me. Somewhat similar to Ferrari shopping while blindfolded.
I foolishly took my first sip w/o hydrating my palette (if this is 140 proof, that makes me Rocky lol as I just took it)

My favorite as well thus far. So what say you @erjaq?

Very interesting reading, and not a bad guess, but I'm afraid this one was the 2016 release of William LaRue Weller. You got BTAC right, but wrong bottle. Proof is 135.4. I don't really have a list of favorites, but this one is my main jam right now. Glad you enjoyed it.

Keep those reviews coming! This is fun for me, too.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Poured my last bit of Stagg Jr. instead of the ECBP. Opened up nicely along the way. I remember the first glass about a year ago being a bit overpowering and hot. This last glass warms a bit on the way down but in an extremely enjoyable way. A very easy 132.5 proof and delicious. I wish this bottle didn't have to end.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And how about a picture in the glass while sipping @BourbonBinder?

LOL that might be challenging while sipping. Like I said before I'm not including pictures because I wanted to save enough of the sample to knowingly enjoy what I'm tasting for the second go-around. I can, however, post pictures of my 2nd time, when I actually know what it is. Also it would be interesting to me if my thoughts changed after knowing what i'm tasting. Thanks for your comments though, I really appreciated them.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Poured my last bit of Stagg Jr. instead of the ECBP. Opened up nicely along the way. I remember the first glass about a year ago being a bit overpowering and hot. This last glass warms a bit on the way down but in an extremely enjoyable way. A very easy 132.5 proof and delicious. I wish this bottle didn't have to end.

Never a sad moment finishing a bottle like that one, especially remembering all the joy it brought you along the way.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very interesting reading, and not a bad guess, but I'm afraid this one was the 2016 release of William LaRue Weller. You got BTAC right, but wrong bottle. Proof is 135.4. I don't really have a list of favorites, but this one is my main jam right now. Glad you enjoyed it.

Keep those reviews coming! This is fun for me, too.
LOL Yeah I never even heard of that Bourbon, so I think its safe to say you won that round, although I think I'm the real winner having the chance to try it. Thanks @erjaq, it certainly tasted like a 135.4 proof bourbon. I actually wasn't too far off on the proof before you gave me that hint. I originally guessed it was 134.5 proof (according to my notes I sent you). Damn, should've kept that. "Main Jam" indeed, i really did enjoy it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blind Bourbon Review #2
Sample designation: B

Bourbon Name: Weller 12 (I realize the first being a Weller that I'm probably wrong again)

Proof: 90
Color: Dark Amber Orange Hue
Legs in Glass: Medium to Oily

Bouquet:
Approachable with nutmeg, a citrusy orange, lite baking spice and vanilla

Primed Palette & Taste:
Rye Spice, medium chew, oranges. I am not sure about the age however, a 12 should give more oak then I experienced. This is much lighter, so I'm gonna stick to my guns and say this isn't a barrel proof.

Mouthfeel:
Medium Thickness

Finish:
Medium w/ plenty of cinnamon spice heat on the tongue (but not chest)

Misc:
Originally considered it to be a Rittenhouse Rye (due to the high rye spice) but upon learning that all of these samples are either hard to allocate, expensive, and online orders, I formulated that it wasn't the easily (at least in NJ) BOTL favorite; Rittenhouse. Glencairn shots to come during the 2nd tasting...when I know what i'm sampling and my mind isn't playing tricks on me.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Blind Bourbon Review #2
Sample designation: B

Bourbon Name: Weller 12 (I realize the first being a Weller that I'm probably wrong again)

Proof: 90
Color: Dark Amber Orange Hue
Legs in Glass: Medium to Oily

Bouquet:
Approachable with nutmeg, a citrusy orange, lite baking spice and vanilla

Primed Palette & Taste:
Rye Spice, medium chew, oranges. I am not sure about the age however, a 12 should give more oak then I experienced. This is much lighter, so I'm gonna stick to my guns and say this isn't a barrel proof.

Mouthfeel:
Medium Thickness

Finish:
Medium w/ plenty of cinnamon spice heat on the tongue (but not chest)

Misc:
Originally considered it to be a Rittenhouse Rye (due to the high rye spice) but upon learning that all of these samples are either hard to allocate, expensive, and online orders, I formulated that it wasn't the easily (at least in NJ) BOTL favorite; Rittenhouse. Glencairn shots to come during the 2nd tasting...when I know what i'm sampling and my mind isn't playing tricks on me.
Ha, this was fun for me again. You were probably closer with the Rittenhouse guess, actually. And I never said these were all difficult to come by, or expensive (although I guess it's all relative, this one set me back about $100).

Anyway, sample B was an Astor Wines barrel selection of WhistlePig 10 year rye. The proof is 119.2, and it's 10 years old. To me, this one punches well above its weight, easily holding its own against more celebrated ryes such as Booker's Rye, Thomas Handy, etc. The flavor that I always get is chocolate frosting -- if you have any left, drink it and think about that flavor. It's the kind of chocolate frosting that goes on the yellow cake from the box, nothing fancy, maybe a little artificial. I can barely taste anything else in this one.

Keep 'em coming!