What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ha, this was fun for me again. You were probably closer with the Rittenhouse guess, actually. And I never said these were all difficult to come by, or expensive (although I guess it's all relative, this one set me back about $100).

Anyway, sample B was an Astor Wines barrel selection of WhistlePig 10 year rye. The proof is 119.2, and it's 10 years old. To me, this one punches well above its weight, easily holding its own against more celebrated ryes such as Booker's Rye, Thomas Handy, etc. The flavor that I always get is chocolate frosting -- if you have any left, drink it and think about that flavor. It's the kind of chocolate frosting that goes on the yellow cake from the box, nothing fancy, maybe a little artificial. I can barely taste anything else in this one.

Keep 'em coming!
LOL wow I've certainly come a long way since my very first bourbon (Woodford). The problem is I second guess myself. I was 1 proof point away from guessing right on the first review and now this review first guessing it was a Rye (but then changing it :facepalm:). Again I got to expand my bourbon search out of the small parameters of NJ, another bourbon I've never heard of (the Astor part). I am glad I have yet to try any of these yet, as I have a pretty good memory of what I've tasted thus far in this great hobby.

I will keep those notes in mind when trying my 2nd glass. 119.2 Proof??? Wow and I said 90 LOL. That was some smooth stuff I tell ya, much better then the only Rye (up until that point) that I've ever had (Woodford Rye). That stuff gave me heartburn at 90.4 proof when served neat. I heard Booker's Rye was exceptionally good, if of course you could source a bottle. Glad you're enjoying this, hopefully everyone else is as well...as we got 6 more to go!!!(y)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blind Bourbon Review #3
Sample designation: C
Glass Used: Glencairn
Served: Neat

Bourbon Name: (this is the last review where I shared my notes with @erjaq before posting the review, so LOL its the last bourbon I know I will be wrong on before the big reveal post)
Since I already guessed "George T Stagg" I can't guess that again, since I already did according to my notes. So I'm gonna do a switheroo with #1.
Re-Guess: EHT Barrel Proof.

Proof: 134.5
Color: Dark Mahogany with a Amber Hue
Legs in Glass: Thick, oily

Bouquet:
Not a nose dweller, very Booker's like approach (Glencairn probably didn't help with that). Spice kick with tobacco, cinnamon, and a hint of lemon zest.

Primed Palette & Taste:
This one definitely portrayed the distinct qualities of a barrel proof, punchy & direct. Apple on the background, vanilla, tobacco, cedar, burned brown sugar. Very intense heat at first.

Mouthfeel:
Thick & viscous, mouth & lip coating.

Finish:
Long with a heated tingle on my lips & tongue. Moved forward on the finish instead of back, which I found to be quite mesmerizing.

Misc:
N/A

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Blind Bourbon Review #3
Sample designation: C

Bourbon Name: (this is the last review where I shared my notes with @erjaq before posting the review, so LOL its the last bourbon I know I will be wrong on before the big reveal post)
Since I already guessed "George T Stagg" I can't guess that again, since I already did according to my notes. So I'm gonna do a switheroo with #1.
Re-Guess: EHT Barrel Proof.

Proof: 134.5
Color: Dark Mahogany with a Amber Hue
Legs in Glass: Thick, oily

Bouquet:
Not a nose dweller, very Booker's like approach (Glencairn probably didn't help with that). Spice kick with tobacco, cinnamon, and a hint of lemon zest.

Primed Palette & Taste:
This one definitely portrayed the distinct qualities of a barrel proof, punchy & direct. Apple on the background, vanilla, tobacco, cedar, burned brown sugar. Very intense heat at first.

Mouthfeel:
Thick & viscous, mouth & lip coating.

Finish:
Long with a heated tingle on my lips & tongue. Moved forward on the finish instead of back, which I found to be quite mesmerizing.

Misc:
N/A
0 for 3, amigo. Although I never necessarily intended for you to ID the bourbon, only to post your thoughts. It is barrel proof -- you got that part right. In fact, this one is hazmat at 140.2 proof. It's an older vintage of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof -- release #6 from several years ago. 12 years old, and my favorite of the ECBP series.

No rules against re-guessing, by the way.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
0 for 3, amigo. Although I never necessarily intended for you to ID the bourbon, only to post your thoughts. It is barrel proof -- you got that part right. In fact, this one is hazmat at 140.2 proof. It's an older vintage of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof -- release #6 from several years ago. 12 years old, and my favorite of the ECBP series.

No rules against re-guessing, by the way.
LOL Bro!!! Do not tell me its Elijah Craig 12 Year!!!! I think you know where i'm going with this :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:.
Wow I think Review #1 is still my favorite but Review #3 was the most befitting of a Barrel Proof, obviously considering its the highest proofed Bourbon I've ever tasted to this date...i'm honored.

That's right I remember now, i'm the one who said I would also guess the bourbon name and proof...setting the bar quite high...or in this case making me look crazy (in a good way I think, call it articulate in a Rain Man sorta way)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blind Bourbon Review #4
Sample designation: D

Bourbon Name: FYI: I already tasted this sample & recorded my notes before reading @erjaq correct answer to Review # 3. For the sake of being completely transparent & honest, I will not be re-guessing anymore (even though there are no rules against it). This way it's more fun for all of you patient enough to read through my ramblings.
My Original guess: ELIJAH CRAIG BARREL PROOF (told you man :facepalm:)

Proof: 124.2
Color: Deep Honey
Legs in Glass: Long and Leggy

Bouquet:
Very Tricky, not a deep diver (unless you want to singe off some nose hairs). Almond nuttiness, fiery peppery spice, deep corn ethanol. With hints of peppermint leaf on the background.

Primed Palette & Taste:
Tangy Spice, orange peel, ginger & almond butter. Oaky vanilla with a slice of chocolate cake on the back-end.

Mouthfeel:
A real mouth coater, viscous tongue zinging pepper

Finish:
Long & building with a slight lip and tongue zing (probably due to tall the peppery spice)

Misc: I realize its no competition but I feel like we're in the Wild West, smoke pouring off our whiskey and me and @erjaq are dueling it out in the street. Only every time I go to draw my pistol I have to squeeze the trigger twice. Just the image that popped into my head when you revealed the correct answer to #3 which was clearly my guess to #4. (or because i'm a huge wild west fan) Also second guessing myself to #2 being a Rye but not sticking to my "guns", and finally being 1 proof point away from the other, but second guessing myself yet again. ;). I do feel confident that my skills are improving and having a ball while doing it. Thanks again man

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Blind Bourbon Review #4
Sample designation: D

Bourbon Name: FYI: I already tasted this sample & recorded my notes before reading @erjaq correct answer to Review # 3. For the sake of being completely transparent & honest, I will not be re-guessing anymore (even though there are no rules against it). This way it's more fun for all of you patient enough to read through my ramblings.
My Original guess: ELIJAH CRAIG BARREL PROOF (told you man :facepalm:)

Proof: 124.2
Color: Deep Honey
Legs in Glass: Long and Leggy

Bouquet:
Very Tricky, not a deep diver (unless you want to singe off some nose hairs). Almond nuttiness, fiery peppery spice, deep corn ethanol. With hints of peppermint leaf on the background.

Primed Palette & Taste:
Tangy Spice, orange peel, ginger & almond butter. Oaky vanilla with a slice of chocolate cake on the back-end.

Mouthfeel:
A real mouth coater, viscous tongue zinging pepper

Finish:
Long & building with a slight lip and tongue zing (probably due to tall the peppery spice)

Misc: I realize its no competition but I feel like we're in the Wild West, smoke pouring off our whiskey and me and @erjaq are dueling it out in the street. Only every time I go to draw my pistol I have to squeeze the trigger twice. Just the image that popped into my head when you revealed the correct answer to #3 which was clearly my guess to #4. (or because i'm a huge wild west fan) Also second guessing myself to #2 being a Rye but not sticking to my "guns", and finally being 1 proof point away from the other, but second guessing myself yet again. ;). I do feel confident that my skills are improving and having a ball while doing it. Thanks again man
I'm in Vegas for the weekend, don't have the bottle to check but I think it's 122 proof or so. You're close there. It's a Willett Family Estate 14 year, barrel 2061. I always get cherry from WFE stuff, this one is no exception. Very different profile from ECBP, I'd say. Anyway, glad you liked it. And please don't shoot me haha.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had heard good things, but this is actually far exceeding my expectations. Really enjoying this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Woodford was my first love to Bourbon and I've yet to try their bourbon since in these last 2 years (too much to live up to). But I will be buying their Double Oaked expression next and look forward to it very much.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some Jefferson's.

I was just recently gifted a bottle of Jefferson's by a guy in our lounge whom I always share my bourbon with (one of the best parts of this hobby IMO is sharing). He has stage 4 Liver Cancer and is just happy to live the life he has left. He smokes cigars and drink fine spirits almost everyday.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm in Vegas for the weekend, don't have the bottle to check but I think it's 122 proof or so. You're close there. It's a Willett Family Estate 14 year, barrel 2061. I always get cherry from WFE stuff, this one is no exception. Very different profile from ECBP, I'd say. Anyway, glad you liked it. And please don't shoot me haha.
LOL Never!!! Does it matter though, i seem to be just missing the target, so I'd say you're pretty safe where you're standing. At least I nearly got the proof right. I seem to be running out of Barrel Proof Bourbons, at least in my mental "chamber". I'm gonna have to start circling back pretty soon. I look forward to re-trying these with the correct bourbon name and profile in mind. (pictures to follow of course). Thanks and hope you enjoyed Vegas. (although how could you not). Still haven't been there myself. Atlantic City is no comparison.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just picked up a bottle of that myself... still not a big fan.
I wasn't a fan of the short finish but the flavors were all there. I've only saved 3 bottles so far, Eagle Rare is one of them. I use my Bulleit as a water bottle lol.