Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blind Bourbon Review #5
Sample designation: E
Glass Used: Glencairn
Served: Neat

Bourbon Name: Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr. Barrel Proof

(The final time I use that as a guess...promise lol)

Proof: 134.5
Color: Honey Copper
Legs in Glass: Fleeting Oil

Bouquet:
Halfway Approachable. Sour Apple Grove, rich baking spices (made me cough)

Primed Palette & Taste:
Carmel Applebomb. Medium oak which eludes to the age or its lack (by comparison). Vanilla.

Mouthfeel:
Rich, oily & Chewy

Finish:
Looooong with gobs of peppercorn tongue zinging goodness. A bit throat warming though.

Misc:
Clearly a Barrel Proof but lighter shade leads me to believe it's not of a great age.
Originally considered it to be Blanton's Barrel Proof, but the lack of dense characterized nuances wasn't befitting of my once prized Blanton's Single Barrel experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I was just recently gifted a bottle of Jefferson's by a guy in our lounge whom I always share my bourbon with (one of the best parts of this hobby IMO is sharing). He has stage 4 Liver Cancer and is just happy to live the life he has left. He smokes cigars and drink fine spirits almost everyday.
Sorry to hear about the cancer but That's great that he continues on. I think Jefferson's is great for the price.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Blind Bourbon Review #5
Sample designation: E

Bourbon Name: Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr. Barrel Proof

(The final time I use that as a guess...promise lol)

Proof: 134.5
Color: Honey Copper
Legs in Glass: Fleeting Oil

Bouquet:
Halfway Approachable. Sour Apple Grove, rich baking spices (made me cough)

Primed Palette & Taste:
Carmel Applebomb. Medium oak which eludes to the age or its lack (by comparison). Vanilla.

Mouthfeel:
Rich, oily & Chewy

Finish:
Looooong with gobs of peppercorn tongue zinging goodness. A bit throat warming though.

Misc:
Clearly a Barrel Proof but lighter shade leads me to believe it's not of a great age.
Originally considered it to be Blanton's Barrel Proof, but the lack of dense characterized nuances wasn't befitting of my once prized Blanton's Single Barrel experience.

Hahaha, you can take EHTBP off your list, I don't even own a bottle of it, and I think I maybe tasted it once at a bar. Not knocking it, just not real familiar.

OK, so in some ways this was the one I was most excited about you trying. I can't tell you the proof because I don't know exactly what's in there...this is a blend of store-bought bourbons made by a guy I know in San Diego. Here's write-up with more info:

http://punchdrink.com/articles/how-homemade-blend-california-gold-became-one-of-america-best-bourbon-whiskey/

What is described in that article about it being an underground sensation is absolutely true -- when it gets posted in the facebook group (which is the only way to acquire it) -- it sells out in seconds, whereas PVW or GTS or any of the other big bourbons take hours or days to move.

I am constantly amazed at how good it is, and the more bourbon I've had in a given sitting, the better it seems to taste. I do know that the base is Stagg Jr., but don't know anything else about what's in there.

Also, I'd recommend not drinking these (or any other) high-proof bourbons in a Glencairn. Just a straight rocks glass works better IMO. The nose from a Glencairn is too intense with alcohol heat to pick up anything else.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hahaha, you can take EHTBP off your list, I don't even own a bottle of it, and I think I maybe tasted it once at a bar. Not knocking it, just not real familiar.

OK, so in some ways this was the one I was most excited about you trying. I can't tell you the proof because I don't know exactly what's in there...this is a blend of store-bought bourbons made by a guy I know in San Diego. Here's write-up with more info:

http://punchdrink.com/articles/how-homemade-blend-california-gold-became-one-of-america-best-bourbon-whiskey/

What is described in that article about it being an underground sensation is absolutely true -- when it gets posted in the facebook group (which is the only way to acquire it) -- it sells out in seconds, whereas PVW or GTS or any of the other big bourbons take hours or days to move.

I am constantly amazed at how good it is, and the more bourbon I've had in a given sitting, the better it seems to taste. I do know that the base is Stagg Jr., but don't know anything else about what's in there.

Also, I'd recommend not drinking these (or any other) high-proof bourbons in a Glencairn. Just a straight rocks glass works better IMO. The nose from a Glencairn is too intense with alcohol heat to pick up anything else.
I'm honored to have tried some then. That's quite remarkable. After I conclude (only Bourbon Review #8 to go), I will be buying some unique Bourbon Rocks glasses (got my eye on a couple). I will taste #8 with the Glencairn, and then when its time to post my re-taste short reviews/pics, I will be using the Rocks glasses and note the differences in the bouquet. Thanks for the good tip.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blind Bourbon Review #6
Sample designation: F

*** While I try to remain transparent, I feel like I could've made this so much easier on my brain had I just skimmed through the pages of this thread and scoped out all of your barrel proof bourbons you have, and then just picked from the pool that most likely seemed like the logical answer. I didn't though (actually just thought of it now), because i don't think I would've had this much fun. ***

Bourbon Name: GEORGE T STAGG Barrel Proof
I feel confident enough that this is finally that George T Stagg that you hinted at before I embarked on this journey.

Proof: 143.0
Color: Rich Copper Mahogany
Legs in Glass: Legs like the Major Award in "A Christmas Story" (hope you get my reference)

Bouquet:
Approachable (even with a Glencairn ;))
Red delicious apples, cinnamon & rye spices, strong oak, vanilla, rich almond butter

Primed Palette & Taste:
Fiery Cedar & Apple, Baking Spices, Inspiring Oak & Vanilla Cream. Tobacco leaf on the background

Mouthfeel:
Bubblegum chewy. Tip of your tongue zinging peppery spices

Finish:
Long & Summery Hot. It was literally minutes long as it stuck to my palette

Misc:
I feel like this was a high rye. It had the deepest shade I've ever seen on a bourbon and I say its at least 15 years old. This just might be the hottest/highest proof bourbon I've tasted yet.
(y)

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Blind Bourbon Review #6
Sample designation: F

*** While I try to remain transparent, I feel like I could've made this so much easier on my brain had I just skimmed through the pages of this thread and scoped out all of your barrel proof bourbons you have, and then just picked from the pool that most likely seemed like the logical answer. I didn't though (actually just thought of it now), because i don't think I would've had this much fun. ***

Bourbon Name: GEORGE T STAGG Barrel Proof
I feel confident enough that this is finally that George T Stagg that you hinted at before I embarked on this journey.

Proof: 143.0
Color: Rich Copper Mahogany
Legs in Glass: Legs like the Major Award in "A Christmas Story" (hope you get my reference)

Bouquet:
Approachable (even with a Glencairn ;))
Red delicious apples, cinnamon & rye spices, strong oak, vanilla, rich almond butter

Primed Palette & Taste:
Fiery Cedar & Apple, Baking Spices, Inspiring Oak & Vanilla Cream. Tobacco leaf on the background

Mouthfeel:
Bubblegum chewy. Tip of your tongue zinging peppery spices

Finish:
Long & Summery Hot. It was literally minutes long as it stuck to my palette

Misc:
I feel like this was a high rye. It had the deepest shade I've ever seen on a bourbon and I say its at least 15 years old. This just might be the hottest/highest proof bourbon I've tasted yet.
(y)
But what year, though? No points for a correct guess unless you can tell me the year.

Haha, just kidding. You are correct. I suppose you knew that this one would be in the mix somewhere. It is the 2010 release, 143.0 proof of tongue-numbing fire, ~15 years old. I'll have to think more about this apple note you keep mentioning, that's not a flavor I associate with bourbon but it makes sense. To me, this one is pure brown sugar, which maybe is a touch burnt in a cast-iron pan, in liquid form.

One thing your reviews are missing is a score of some kind...some indication of how much you like them. Surely you've got a favorite so far? No obligation to say you like anything if you really don't.

Also, since you keep using it...;)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@erjaq & @BourbonBinder thanks for these posts. It's been one of the most entertaining and informative exchanges I've seen here on BOTL. Great job both of you.
Thank you @Gunson, it has certainly been a learning & growing experience for me. I've never really reviewed anything before this either, so I think I found a new hobby. I enjoy the methodical nature of it, kinda like smoking a cigar (cutting, toasting, lighting, appreciating). funny, for a minute I forgot this was a cigar forum

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
More Jefferson's last night.

I'm making my way through my bottle of Jeffeson's as well. I highly recommend it with a full bodied cigar. It really adds character to it for something I consider to be a very lighthearted bourbon (82.3 proof)....especially when you compare what I've been tasting as of late, thanks to @erjaq

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But what year, though? No points for a correct guess unless you can tell me the year.

Haha, just kidding. You are correct. I suppose you knew that this one would be in the mix somewhere. It is the 2010 release, 143.0 proof of tongue-numbing fire, ~15 years old. I'll have to think more about this apple note you keep mentioning, that's not a flavor I associate with bourbon but it makes sense. To me, this one is pure brown sugar, which maybe is a touch burnt in a cast-iron pan, in liquid form.

One thing your reviews are missing is a score of some kind...some indication of how much you like them. Surely you've got a favorite so far? No obligation to say you like anything if you really don't.

Also, since you keep using it...;)
LOL I knew I was using that word wrong. Pretty good at punctuation, not so good at spelling (always been a problem). Thanks for the illustration ( I feel like I'm back at grammer school now).
LOL Glad I got one right, although you had hinted that it would be in the mix. I had no idea it would be this far in though. Ah, the year I didn't even consider that aspect for my reviews. I never tasted (or had the aroma) of the apple note until I tasted EHT Small Batch. It was weird at first but now its one note I taste a lot now. (Or it's just the Placebo Effect & i'm imagining things).

I have to eat more of these bourbon characteristics (vanilla, cinnamon, Brown sugar, maybe even some OAK haha), so I can better differentiate what I taste on the PALETTE (I meant palate, put down the ruler Sister...I'm product of Catholic School's with Nuns as Principals).

I'll be adding the scoring rating (1/10) for my follow-up short reviews (yes along with pictures), good idea. Now for my Favorite....It was Numero Uno until you brought this BIG BOY to the table; so my new favorite is Bourbon Review #6 George T Stagg. Why? Simply put I'm a "finish" type of man. This bourbon had plenty of that, in fact it lasted so long (literally minutes) that I probably only needed one sip to do my review, but that didn't stop me from taking several.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blind Bourbon Review #7
Sample designation: G

Bourbon Name: Four Roses Barrel Strength

Proof: 108.0
Color: Deep Orange Copper
Legs in Glass: Supermodel Thin

Bouquet:
Nose Dweller, spices, vanilla oak, cinnamon red hot candy, cloves, honey graham cracker.

Primed Palette & Taste:
Liquid fiery rye spices, although it had a lightness to it

Mouthfeel:
Thick with a medium chew

Finish:
Long with a peppery tingle on the center of the PALLET (lol), slowly building.

Misc:
I was uncertain that this was a Barrel Proof, which led me to believe it just might be the Four Roses. They work wonders with lower proofed bourbons that punch way above their weight class. I don't know about you but when I'm thinking of Barrel Proof, especially as of late, 108 proof doesn't come to mind. I find that to quite an achievement on their part.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Blind Bourbon Review #7
Sample designation: G

Bourbon Name: Four Roses Barrel Strength

Proof: 108.0
Color: Deep Orange Copper
Legs in Glass: Supermodel Thin

Bouquet:
Nose Dweller, spices, vanilla oak, cinnamon red hot candy, cloves, honey graham cracker.

Primed Palette & Taste:
Liquid fiery rye spices, although it had a lightness to it

Mouthfeel:
Thick with a medium chew

Finish:
Long with a peppery tingle on the center of the PALLET (lol), slowly building.

Misc:
I was uncertain that this was a Barrel Proof, which led me to believe it just might be the Four Roses. They work wonders with lower proofed bourbons that punch way above their weight class. I don't know about you but when I'm thinking of Barrel Proof, especially as of late, 108 proof doesn't come to mind. I find that to quite an achievement on their part.
Interesting review. This one is indeed the lowest proof of the ones I sent you (except for possibly CA Gold, don't know its proof). Clocking in a 115 proof, this was the William Heavenhill 14 year bourbon (released in the last 6 months or so). Barrel 6, if you're keeping track (apparently barrel 7 is the best one).

I wish you could have tasted this one the day I opened it -- it was so woody that I didn't think I would finish it. Just straight chomping on oak, as you suggest above, and not in a good way. I didn't touch it for a few months, but now, a few months after opening, I find that the flavors have meshed well. Still kinda simple in the grand scheme of things, but a pleasant dram nonetheless.

OK, just 1 to go, looking forward to it.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Taking this advice currently. It's making a huge difference. First time I've been able to enjoy Bookers neat. Great tip!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting review. This one is indeed the lowest proof of the ones I sent you (except for possibly CA Gold, don't know its proof). Clocking in a 115 proof, this was the William Heavenhill 14 year bourbon (released in the last 6 months or so). Barrel 6, if you're keeping track (apparently barrel 7 is the best one).

I wish you could have tasted this one the day I opened it -- it was so woody that I didn't think I would finish it. Just straight chomping on oak, as you suggest above, and not in a good way. I didn't touch it for a few months, but now, a few months after opening, I find that the flavors have meshed well. Still kinda simple in the grand scheme of things, but a pleasant dram nonetheless.

OK, just 1 to go, looking forward to it.
Unfortunately I over-exerted myself helping my twin brother move apartments yesterday (literally took 15 hours), so my senses were a bit exhausted. I chose not to taste Bourbon #8 but will be sampling it tonight.

Glad I was right about the lower proof (although I've been a lot closer than 7 Proofs). 115 is quite a high proof for a non-barrel strength Bourbon (or uncut/unfiltered). I can feel you on the intense oak nuance, Noah's Mill was very similar (and consistently very close in proof: 114.3). Like this Heavenhill 14, it mellowed out some. I actually got a strong dark chocolate note on it as well (Noah's Mill). Have you had that one yet @erjaq?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Taking this advice currently. It's making a huge difference. First time I've been able to enjoy Bookers neat. Great tip!

I'm glad that you took to it and can enjoy your Bookers neat (the best way to enjoy it IMO).

I actually tried my Jefferson's Reserve in a square rocks glass at my lounge (they have a full kitchen with various spirits and plenty of different glassware). I figured it was a good starting ground (90.2 proof) and I'd be able to ease into it. I was actually a bit thrown off to be honest. For the first time since my introduction into bourbon over 2 years ago, (woodford reserve) and at the same time , using a glencairn, I found it to be not so enjoyable and quite harsh. I always figured one of the reasons I took to bourbon so much, was not only the taste & characteristics; but the glencairn itself and the way I was able to approach the whiskey. Since it blocked off my nose when drinking, I wasn't hit with those ethanol fumes like I experienced every time before I got into bourbon. When I had my Jefferson's I was hit with a strong (cough inducing) harsh aroma, that I have yet to experience in bourbon while using a glencairn :(. Any ideas?

Last edited: