What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blind No Longer Bourbon Review #5
Bottle E: CA Gold
Proof: 130.9 (Being that I can't know the proof, maybe nobody does, I guess my original guess stands.
New Tasting Notes:
For starters, I've always had this urge to mix two bourbons together and see what it tasted like. However, not willing to commit Kentucky Sacrilege, I never tried. Apparently I was wrong, as this stuff (after some research) isn't just renowned in California, but all over the nation, including a little state most known for its Bourbon. It has a softer more approachable Single Barrel bouquet... but then when least expected, a Barrel Proof aroma shows itself in a big way. I'm guessing as @erjaq stated, it's Stagg Jr. (never had Stagg Jr. so its anyone's guess who's had both)
A full box of fresh stogies on the palate; cedar and tobacco. In my experience, and being almost directly on the money more times than not during these blind reviews, I'm gonna argue that it's definitely at least 128 proof. Rich and spicy mouthfeel. Never tasted anything like this before. A fiery tongue zinging spice that rolls from the back to front on the finish, which also happens to be a long one, but somehow doesn't possess a very thick and viscous mouthfeel. I'd say it's a medium thickness.
Rating: 4.50/5

In case you're wondering why the color is so light, well in my usual spirit of transparency, I noticed I made an error after finishing my review. I forgot to take a glencairn shot. Instead I give you my own version of CA Gold!! It's nowhere near CA Gold lol. I only have Marker's 46 & Rowan's Creek on hand so I decided it was worth breaking my own rule & go for it. I figured w/ the uniqueness of the French staves of Marker's 46 & the boldness & 12 year age of the 100.1 proof of Rowan's Creek, I could certainly do worse. This was most certainly a one time thing, I'll leave it to the pros from henceforth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
@BourbonBinder I recently 'blended' my own as well with the last little pours of Buffalo Trace, Koval, and little ECBP to bump it up a bit. Selections were based mainly on the fact that the first two only had a little more than a splash left in the bottle. I went with equal parts and tasted it after a few days rest - not very good lol. I'm interested to see if it gets any better or if it will remain crap.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@BourbonBinder I recently 'blended' my own as well with the last little pours of Buffalo Trace, Koval, and little ECBP to bump it up a bit. Selections were based mainly on the fact that the first two only had a little more than a splash left in the bottle. I went with equal parts and tasted it after a few days rest - not very good lol. I'm interested to see if it gets any better or if it will remain crap.

LOL I guess what you did is the perfect excuse to savor those last few drops in the bottle, I might be keeping that in mind. I usually use those drops for cologne or just soak it in my hands, yeah I know I'm a special boy.

btort

Bob
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
@btort I'vet been looking for Weller Bourbon where I live. No luck so far
I've been lucky here in the DFW area. I have been able to get my hands on some nice bourbons fairly easily. We seem to get most of the good stuff allocated to our area at least once or twice a year. It also helps to develop a good relationship with the manager at your local liquor store. He always emails me when he knows he's getting an allocation.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After starting with Basil Hayden I decided to expand my horizons on my bourbon journey. These two bottles arrived today.
View attachment 100890
Eagle rare was my 2nd Bourbon ever, it was the reaffirmation into this great hobby of ours. I myself started out with Woodford Reserve, and for some odd reason it's still my favorite bourbon so far (even after all these rare Barrel Proofers). I can't explain it. I liked Woodford so much that I have't had a sip of it since I finished my 1st bottle, who know's maybe my opinion has changed. I plan on buying a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked soon, but that's as close as I want to get to it for now.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blind No Longer Bourbon Review #6
Bottle G: William Heavenhill Single Barrel 14 year
Proof: 115 Proof
New Tasting Notes:
Some are probably thinking; Bottle G? What happened to Bottle F? BUT I'm choosing to wait to review that until very last. Why? Because it's George T Stagg and I want to save the very best for last.
This was a very highly honored and awarded bourbon so i was quite looking forward to it. Like my last review and mixing two bourbons together for the first time I did another first for this review. For the first time I drank two bourbons back to back on the same day. I know I know no big deal right? Well it was to me, as in the 2 plus years of drinking bourbon, I never had two in the same day. I guess I always wanted to give my palate a chance to recover, since I quite enjoy higher proof bourbons (and neat). I sure wasn't giving my palate a rest then, and even more I had indulged in a guilty pleasure before tasting this bourbon...Cherry Sour Punch Straws. I don't recommend this before any bourbon LOL.
Medium mouthfeel with a medium finish. This one you really need to chew it to get the complexity out from it. After doing the "Kentucky Chew" (-Fred Noe) for a couple of seconds, I got it to a longer finish with lots and lots of tongue zinging peppery spices. If secondary market prices weren't so high and it was easier to allocate a bottle, I'd definitely indulge in this as an everyday bourbon.
RATING: 4.10/5