What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Picked this up a few days ago. It's growing on me.
View attachment 100571
Tell me I'm not crazy and that it drinks way above its weight class of 80 proof. If this was included in @erjaq sample group I'd guess it was a mid to high 90 proof that was aged for at least 10 years. Here was mine, picture was probably taken close to 2 years ago

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Tell me I'm not crazy and that it drinks way above its weight class of 80 proof. If this was included in @erjaq sample group I'd guess it was a mid to high 90 proof that was aged for at least 10 years. Here was mine, picture was probably taken close to 2 years ago

@BourbonBinder I am new to Bourbon. I picked up this bottle after reading a couple of sites that recommended it for newbie's. I don't regret buying it. For now I drink it with a little ice. In time I'll try it neat.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@BourbonBinder I am new to Bourbon. I picked up this bottle after reading a couple of sites that recommended it for newbie's. I don't regret buying it. For now I drink it with a little ice. In time I'll try it neat.
Awesome and welcome to this exciting hobby. I hope your journey is full of exciting bourbons that you remember for years to come.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone know or experienced the tell-tale Elijah Craig cork separation issue, as seen in the picture I posted above? (i.e. the plastic top coming off the glued on cork.)

I wonder if their new bottle design addressed this or not. I read about this before it happened to me and it was a pain having to take the cork out with pliers every time after...and a little embarrassing at my lounge lol

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Surprisingly approachable for a high proofer. I guess hard core bourbon lovers might not like to hear that but being I'm a relatively new bourbon convert I love this. Very complex. Dark vanilla. Smoke. But some fruitiness as well. Wood. Very good. A little drying but not bad. I enjoy this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Had some for the first time yesterday. It was definitely good IMO, especially for the price.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Do tell how it was, I was a big fan of their bourbon (despite its incredible low proof). It drank like a mid 90 proof and had a buttery long finish. Their Rye has caught my glance many a time whenever I see it.
I enjoyed it. Neat with a drop of water. Like the bourbon cousin, it does drink above it's published proof. I haven't yet figured out the flavors, just wanted to drink it and see if I enjoyed it without having to think about anything. I'll probably have another glass tomorrow night.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I enjoyed it. Neat with a drop of water. Like the bourbon cousin, it does drink above it's published proof. I haven't yet figured out the flavors, just wanted to drink it and see if I enjoyed it without having to think about anything. I'll probably have another glass tomorrow night.
After my Woodford Reserve Rye experience, being 90.4 proof and having to add 10 drops of water in order to make it drinkable, I am somewhat hesitant with my Rye's. However tasting WhistlePig's 10 Year (119.2 proof) Rye has brought new light to how I look at Rye's. I think Rittenhouse BIB is next for me. At $30 it sounds like a steal too. I still have NEVER EVER had any mixed bourbon drinks so I think I will finally experiment with a cheaper Rye when I do, which is definitely gonna be Rittenhouse.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Speaking of mixed bourbon drinks; what are the popular ones? Mint Julep and Old Fashioned right? what are your recommendations for ingredients

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Speaking of mixed bourbon drinks; what are the popular ones? Mint Julep and Old Fashioned right? what are your recommendations for ingredients
Manhattan . . my go-to.
only 5 ingredients:
Rittenhouse Rye / Carpano Antica / Luxardo Cherry / Orange Bitters / Angostura Bitters. I usually use a ration of 3:1 (Rye : Carpano Antica)

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I really like the Fee Brothers Black Walnut bitters in an Old Fashioned. After having a few Old Fashioneds with it and really like them, I recently picked up bottle. Made one the other day and it turned out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blind No Longer Bourbon Review #3
Bottle C: Vintage Elijah Craig Barrel Proof Release #6 (12 Years)
Proof: 140.2
New Tasting Notes:
One of the darkest shades of bourbon I've ever seen before. It still smelled of sweet butterscotch apple on the bouquet, even after forgetting I originally said that in the blind review. Very approachable for the 2nd highest proofed bourbon I've tried; I was able to get right down into it at the rim of my Glencairn. Now you'd think after more than 2 years and having bought 18 or so bourbons, not including all these barrel proofed bombers, that I would've thought to hydrate my palate before priming it.....well you'd be wrong. (because I did LOL). The end result? An extra thick mouthfeel of liquid hellfire....but still very delicious. This is without a doubt the hottest bourbon to date, even more so than George T Stagg 143 proof. It was a long mouth coating finish but still not George T Stagg long. The problem (if you could call it that because it's a tasty problem) is that it doesn't soften on the palate as the mid palate and finish begins to take their grasp. It just burns hot all the way through, which I experienced with my Elijah Small Batch (in shorter form of course). Don't get me wrong I still absolutely loved it and savored every last drop. The Finish is my favorite part of any bourbon, especially when its a long one with complexity and flavorful characteristics and nuances. Mouthfeel (preferably viscous) comes a close second. Those factor into my ratings more so than anything.

MY Rating: 4/5 Stars

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If you don't mind me asking, who's the cigarette smoker. I've never known anyone who smoked both cigars and cigarettes. Most people who once smoked cigs quit then went on cigars completely never to return to the habit. No offense either way hopefully. BTW I use to smoke cigarettes, started in the 4th grade and smoked until the end of high school. None of my parents smoked so I'm guessing that's why the habit never stuck, as acquiring them took some creativeness. It earned me my nickname that I carry with me until this day (SMOKEY). Even my friends parents call me by it, including their children LOL.
The wife is the cigarette smoker. I'm strictly cigars and an occasional pipe.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I hate Photobucket. Had to try a new photo hosting service...
Last weekend's goodness Blanton's and La Colmena.

EDIT: OK, that did not work, what hosting service is everyone using now??