What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just found a bottle of the Stagg Jr. and really enjoyed it. Was it last years release? I did hear it wasn’t as good as this years. Congrats on the BTAC Stagg that’s a great deal at retail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man!! It was quarter # 2 of this years release (around June 2017), the proof is 129.5 if that helps. We just got the 4th quarter release in our store and its 134 (.something lol). I'm a little nervous about buying it, but for $49.99 it's tough not to take a chance.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thanks man!! It was quarter # 2 of this years release (around June 2017), the proof is 129.5 if that helps. We just got the 4th quarter release in our store and its 134 (.something lol). I'm a little nervous about buying it, but for $49.99 it's tough not to take a chance.
Mine is 131.9. Got it last week. For $50 it’s hard not to take a chance. Lots of other things that are well over $50 that aren’t very good.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine is 131.9. Got it last week. For $50 it’s hard not to take a chance. Lots of other things that are well over $50 that aren’t very good.

You're right. I can name more than a few Bourbons around $50 that I was certain would be great, only to be a little disappointed. EHT Small Batch to name one. Although I will probably wait on this one as I have my next Bourbon I'd like to get next already in mind. Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. It was the Distillers Select that first got me into Bourbon and I have yet (in 3 years) to sip anything Woodford (besides their Rye) since than, just too much to live up to. I'm finally ready to return to my first love and try their double oaked example. The plan is to try that first then buy my 2nd ever bottle of distillers select, and compare the two side by side. So excited!!!

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
So I need some advice from you guys. I recently had a bout of extreme luck & I’m not sure how I should proceed. I received a special invitation to a BTAC raffle at my local spirits store, it’s actually one of the biggest bourbon selections in New Jersey. Total private event with around 200 people. They were raffling off about 14 bottles of the BTAC and you could only win one bottle. Each person had 10 raffle tickets to play with. My goal was to win either the Pappy 23 (which I would’ve no doubt sold for the $3000 price they seem to start at), William LaRue Wellar, or the George T Stagg (which I was on the fence about selling Or one day uncorking it). The GTS goes for on average $1000 on secondary markets. Wouldn’t you know but I was one of two of the lucky winners of George T Stagg!!!! Now I need to really ponder what I want to do with it. Every ounce of me is saying to keep it...keep it...keep it. I paid just under $100 for it Witt tax included.

I also was lucky enough to be one of 5 people to score a bottle of Stagg JR, when it was allocated several months ago. I got a call from the manager that I was one of the lucky 5 he chose to sell it to. I must say that expectations were high and I’m a little disappointed. Maybe it needs to develop more in the bottle through uncorking, but it isn’t as refined as say my Bookers. It’s definitely not a mouth coater but I will wait and see. I’m not sure I’ll be buying another bottle though.

GTS secondary is $350; drink it

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
GTS secondary is $350; drink it
I'm gonna keep it but as I was eluding to prior, secondary market pricing is pretty widely subjective. I don't see how someone can put a definitive price tag on something that that is based solely on need, want and desire for a particular product for a particular someone. One person may get $350 but then someone might get much more depending on how badly that person wants it as part of their collection. According to most searches I've done on the 2017 George T Stagg, secondary market average pricing is already above that figure that yourself and one other has quoted. When I say $1,000 on secondary markets I'm not talking about right off the bat mid BTAC release, but over the course of a year (between or during next years release, when demand is higher than average). Although a brief google search will show that the 2017 releases are still (even at its wide barrel release), a hot ticket item..............after all it's still a Stagg and in many cases more award winning (but thanks in large to pop culture and advertising) still not as coveted by the general public as say a Pappy Van Winkle 23. Many will agree that current day Pappy (15, 20, 23) is nowhere as good as when it was accessible on most spirit store shelves. Whereas George T Stagg has been as consistent/award winning as it was before it's demand.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I'm gonna keep it but as I was eluding to prior, secondary market pricing is pretty widely subjective. I don't see how someone can put a definitive price tag on something that that is based solely on need, want and desire for a particular product for a particular someone. One person may get $350 but then someone might get much more depending on how badly that person wants it as part of their collection. According to most searches I've done on the 2017 George T Stagg, secondary market average pricing is already above that figure that yourself and one other has quoted. When I say $1,000 on secondary markets I'm not talking about right off the bat mid BTAC release, but over the course of a year (between or during next years release, when demand is higher than average). Although a brief google search will show that the 2017 releases are still (even at its wide barrel release), a hot ticket item..............after all it's still a Stagg and in many cases more award winning (but thanks in large to pop culture and advertising) still not as coveted by the general public as say a Pappy Van Winkle 23. Many will agree that current day Pappy (15, 20, 23) is nowhere as good as when it was accessible on most spirit store shelves. Whereas George T Stagg has been as consistent/award winning as it was before it's demand.
There were 38k+ bottles released this year of GTS. It's not a $1k bottle, and won't be in the near future either.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Not according to google without looking for long. Sure it may be worth retail now, if you could find a bottle, which most people can’t. I know certain professional collectors, guys with 8,000 bottle collections, that have only been able to snag a few bottles of George T Stagg over the last 5 years (at retail prices). so it’s certainly worth more than retail to them. Some guys are lucky (like yourself and me) and we have had a bottle (or bottles) fall into our hands. Just because there was a wide release (309 barrels this year) doesn’t exactly mean this years Stagg won’t climb up to $1000 in secondary markets in the coming years. Also not every state is created equal, your state might have a higher allocation rate. All I know is that here in NJ (the most densely populated state in the country) we have a small allocation rate (either that or it gets swallowed up very quickly). Two of my friends who are managers at major spirit store chains, say that whenever their stores get a BTAC in, most of the Stagg, Pappy, William LaRue, etc go to the store owners top clients or when they golf it's used for prizes. Just after winning the bottle I had several people in the store offer $200-$300 for it (proving that secondary market pricing exists for this years release, and is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it).

I should've mentioned in my OP that I wasn't looking to sell it right away, but after a year or so when statistically speaking, secondary market prices have climbed to $1000 for past releases. That would mean I would intentionally refrain from uncorking it and diminishing its value substantially. Of course that point is moot, since I plan to keep it.

Definitions
Secondary value: facebook sales groups specifically CREATED TO MARKET AND RESELL BOURBON, Craigslist ads, third party sales (websites like online humidor.)

Luck has nothing to do with most people acquiring htf bourbons. (Notice I did not say all people )
If you have made long lasting relationships with retailers. Generally they will sell you A BOTTLE of BtAc, Pappy, E T Lee ,Parker’s Heritage, Al Young etc etc during the collecting season. Not all bottles of your choice but at least one of the many htfs. It takes a few years to develop these relationships. Yes I realize some states are controlled. The majority are not.
Link what you may. But searching a online retailer on a quick google search is no where near secondary.

Last edited:

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0

Last night..... THIS IS LUCK for 2 friends that know each other so well they gift each other favorite bourbons for Christmas. Knowing they would get to sample each shared by each other.

THIS:
Is putting in your time with retailers.

The Stagg was shipped to someone that didn’t have my good fortune this year. The Lot B was auctioned and donated to a far greater cause then me getting buzzed. I kept the WLW.
It’s only bourbon.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There were 38k+ bottles released this year of GTS. It's not a $1k bottle, and won't be in the near future either.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Are you friends with Doc Brown or something? Secondary Market pricing is any Aftermarket retailer and is subjective and not definitive as retail pricing. Unless you know something I don't. I think you need to re-read my comments, as I have stated numerous times that the 2017 GTS isn't going for $1,000 as of yet but prices on eBay are more than halfway there with a simple search outside of Craigslist and Facebook. Like I've also stated each state isn't created equal and demand reflects that. Here in NJ we don't see nearly as much George T Stagg as other larger States. New Jersey is one of the inner city capitals of the Country and I don't imagine much BTAC makes its way out there much.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitions
Secondary value: facebook sales groups specifically CREATED TO MARKET AND RESELL BOURBON, Craigslist ads, third party sales (websites like online humidor.)

Luck has nothing to do with most people acquiring htf bourbons. (Notice I did not say all people )
If you have made long lasting relationships with retailers. Generally they will sell you A BOTTLE of BtAc, Pappy, E T Lee ,Parker’s Heritage, Al Young etc etc during the collecting season. Not all bottles of your choice but at least one of the many htfs. It takes a few years to develop these relationships. Yes I realize some states are controlled. The majority are not.
Link what you may. But searching a online retailer on a quick google search is no where near secondary.

A secondary market by definition can be any aftermarket seller that is not limited to Facebook and Craigslist. Like for instance eBay, which has 2017 George T Stagg for $450 to $650. As with most years of GTS, that number only stands to increase when supply decreases and demand increases (which is economics 101).
Luck as everything to do with it when you're referring to the general population, people who on average can't afford even a $100 bottle of Bourbon. I fall into that category, along with most people who live paycheck to paycheck (notice how I didn't say all)? Also not every Bourbon aficionado is created equal, so many have to start from somewhere and wait patiently. Some are more patient than others, which is the category I fall into, as I was patient enough to wait for my first retail George T Stagg. Many are not, which is why secondary markets exists. So when you say things like "this is putting in your time with retailers", it sounds a bit one sided, as most people don't have the money or time table to do so accordingly. I'm happy that you are fortunate enough to have had the time and fund to do so, many people aren't as fortunate or lucky to have a reliable retailer like that. Not every retailer is cut from the same cloth. The one I got my GTS from is a regional store that does multi-millions annually from a large customer base. I'm on the email list but then again so is thousands of others. The other store I mentioned hoards their BTAC for golf buddies and the owners private collection.
Even at 38,000 bottles a simple math equation puts each state to a limited allocation when you think of all the spirit store chains and mom and pop shops that get their release (certain states have more stores than other, NJ for instance has more than their share). Then you figure how many bottles were sent to online and magazine reviewers/bloggers. Not forgetting those that get shipments of BTAC in and keep it for themselves and private clients (As I've mentioned above does happen). Factoring all that in, 38,000 doesn't seem like such a big number. I hear a lot of talking but not much evidence is being provided to back up said claims. Plus didn't you say that my bottle is worth no more than I paid retail for it ($100)? That seems to be pretty inaccurate based on this $350 amount people keep throwing around on here.

$1,000; WHICH IS NOT WHAT I THINK THE 2017 GTS RELEASE IS WORTH TODAY. (sorry for all the caps but I feel that some aren't reading my replies all the way through). However I do expect it will reach that in the coming years as all George T Stagg eventually does, which is why it's so award winning (it's consistent). After all small releases like BTAC are in many ways an investment for the future for many. For those that saw the writing on the wall for Bourbons like Pappy Van Winkle (before the pop culture boom), they would and very well could've stocked up on it and had quite the investment.

Last edited:

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Here’s a 6 year old bottle of 2011 that still hasn’t sold yet. It’s also 142.6 witch is highly collectible.Price is being lowered. It hasn’t sold yet.
You’re going to be waiting a decade on your dream sale of a thousand.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here’s a 6 year old bottle of 2011 that still hasn’t sold yet. It’s also 142.6 witch is highly collectible.Price is being lowered. It hasn’t sold yet.

Finally some evidence, I thank you for that. Maybe he'd have better luck on eBay which reaches a far larger audience (most of the world) than that Facebook group. How many active members do they have? eBay is the first place I would look, but maybe I will join up on this Facebook group, even though I barely am on Facebook. Mind sending the link?

Look I started out here making a fun little post on here about my recent acquisition, I didn't imagine I'd wind up here in some kind of weird debate over secondary market pricing. I guess what they list for isn't exactly what they go for, so I can see that point. But then again as I've stated numerous times pricing is subjective and someone can get just as lucky selling a bottle for a certain price as opposed to someone like me, who was "lucky" enough to pay retail for it without having a long-term relationship with a retailer (as you have established). I can only afford at this point in my life, to spread my purchases around 3 stores, and whoever has the cheapest price I buy from said store. Unfortunately all three are pretty big chains (Wine Academy, Joe Canals and Bottle King). I'm friends with 2/3 store managers so hopefully the future will be just as providing as your retailer. Although 1/2 stores hoards there BTAC away from the public.

If I took that advice of "waiting a decade for my dream sale of $1000", then as soon as I walked into a room of 200 people with a possible one in two thousand chance of winning 1 of 14 BTAC bottles (each person received 10 tickets each to play with as they wanted), I wouldn't have wasted my time and turned around and walked out because I would naturally think I have no shot at winning. Luckily I'm a fortunate man and have had luck in the past with high stakes and small margins.

I don't know many realists who are multi-millionaires @Jfire which is why it pays to dream every once in awhile.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

If you have read my recent posts completely, then you would've seen that I am keeping my 2017 GTS, so I certainly won't be getting anything for it now........except for the money I charge my friends to try it (kidding)

Maybe one of these days I will come across a smaller retailer in New Jersey, where I can establish a more intimate relationship with and build some rapport with the manager. But like I've already stated I am pretty close with 2/3 of the managers and besides a lucky lottery drawing and a bottle of the more readily available Stagg Jr, it hasn't really gotten me all that far (besides a good conversation)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
16   0   0

Last night..... THIS IS LUCK for 2 friends that know each other so well they gift each other favorite bourbons for Christmas. Knowing they would get to sample each shared by each other.

THIS:
Is putting in your time with retailers.

The Stagg was shipped to someone that didn’t have my good fortune this year. The Lot B was auctioned and donated to a far greater cause then me getting buzzed. I kept the WLW.
It’s only bourbon.

First of all I love seeing this photo of two old friends that I am proud to call my friends as well. I agree with Justin wholeheartedly about relationship with a retailer. Every bottle I buy I buy from the same retailer and have been for many years. I get called at home if there is something special coming into the store. Establishing a relationship with a retailer means being a loyal customer. You don't have to just buy high dollar stuff. I buy of lot of JB White label, Woodford Double Oak, vodka, gin, bitters, beer, wine....you name it. If it has alcohol I buy it at one location. I am seen in the store often and known by all there. I am loyal to them and they are loyal to me. I also agree with Justin about sharing the wealth. I have been fortunate enough to accumulate some fine bottles over the years (by establishing a relationship with my local B&M) that has enabled me to share some good bottles with friends here. It is only whiskey. It's made to be enjoyed.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First of all I love seeing this photo of two old friends that I am proud to call my friends as well. I agree with Justin wholeheartedly about relationship with a retailer. Every bottle I buy I buy from the same retailer and have been for many years. I get called at home if there is something special coming into the store. Establishing a relationship with a retailer means being a loyal customer. You don't have to just buy high dollar stuff. I buy of lot of JB White label, Woodford Double Oak, vodka, gin, bitters, beer, wine....you name it. If it has alcohol I buy it at one location. I am seen in the store often and known by all there. I am loyal to them and they are loyal to me. I also agree with Justin about sharing the wealth. I have been fortunate enough to accumulate some fine bottles over the years (by establishing a relationship with my local B&M) that has enabled me to share some good bottles with friends here. It is only whiskey. It's made to be enjoyed.
How long would you say that takes. I'm a patient man but also one that moves frequently. (another factor not mentioned). I've been lucky and have been in one place for the last 3 years and have bought all of my bourbon from mainly from one place, and I have gotten little headway as far becoming those who get the rare allocated items. Even though I am friends with the manager, the list is long and those at the top spend thousands each month (much more than I can afford). It's a pretty subjective argument as there are many arms to consider. I can't speak for Illinois or Tennessee, or how many spirit stores you have per capita, but I can speak for my current state. That makes it quite hard to develop said relationship when you don't have the finances to get to the top of that list and you have tons of people that do. I'm still kinda new to this hobby, but have had more than my share of bourbon purchased from mainly 1 store (the store I won the GTS from), maybe 35 Bourbons over the course of 2 1/2 years. The best I've been able to do was getting on an email list for rare allocations but unfortunately that is a super-store, and they get everything under the sun sent in that list. Like I said I will try to find a shop that yourself and jfire have been fortunate enough to locate, one that I can really develop a relationship with, but in that case I would have to start from scratch. That would make the secondary market that much more appealing to those who can't wait...luckily I'm a patient man

Thank heavens for raffles since that appears to be one of a few ways that smaller buyers like myself have to attaining rare allocated bourbons at retail pricing.

Last edited:

xFreebirdx

Patriot Guard Rider
Rating - 100%
42   0   0

I just sold a bottle last week or so. It was from 2015 and 138.1 proof. I started the auction @ $425.00, it sold for $425 + $25 Shipping and insurance. ;)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This was one of my sources and mentors in the world of Bourbon and even he has had trouble finding George T Stagg at retail pricing, and if you look at his collection you would wonder how that is so. Simply put as I keep saying; each state isn't created equal and there is no guarantee that you're able to land on the store owners (or mangers) good graces, where you're able to attain the rare whiskies. I'd say it's by chance, the same chance that enabled me to win a bottle of George T Stagg.

He talks about George T Stagg in this Stagg Jr Review

His Collection as of 2014, which is pretty impressive.

Last edited: