What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Here are the two glasses I am thinking about getting. I do not care for the Glencarin's they are too small, and I have to tilt my head way back to drink, very uncomfortable when having a conversation.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RII1Y0W/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2WAXK2WLZ5CH2&colid=2EKXZMRY0IDPA&psc=0

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ATV2Q5Q/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I219Q0MVU4ZS5A&colid=2EKXZMRY0IDPA&psc=1

Anyone have any reviews on these?

I have thought about the Norlan (Norman )glass, but I just think they are way over priced, and with these 2 I get 6 glasses for about the same price as the Norman's.

I follow It's Bourbon night on YT, and I've noticed that they use the 1st glass I linked quite a bit.
You might like them @BourbonBinder they blind review bourbons, and only Ky bourbon.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuaWfZ9zdiH_io26xWbsprg
I have the bottom one at least the same shape that I got from my local distillery with their logo. Absolutely love it. Like the heft it has. I’m with you on the Glen Cairns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Took my wife out for a date night at an awesome speakeasy bar and spoke with the bartenders (and saw a post of theirs on instagram) I FINALLY got to try the 2016 Old Forester birthday bourbon. They also had the 2015 and 2017 OFBB too. I finished off the ‘15 for them and I got to take the empty bottle home being it was a milestone year for me.

And to add to the excitement, they had a bottle of ORVW and Van Winkle 12 year reserve too! But that’s for another visit with a DD and more $$$.

Also tried some Jefferson’s Reserve Ocean but no picture of it. Sorry, no picture of that.

Sent from my cellular device via tap to talk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I went with the Weller Special Reserve

Never once found a Weller (not exactly readily available under the rocks I've searched under here in New Jersey) but I'm very excited for my first bottle buy. Maybe when I start to travel again I will find one. Thanks to @erjaq I feel privileged being able to try one of the ultimate Weller's; the William LaRue Weller from the 2016 BTAC.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here are the two glasses I am thinking about getting. I do not care for the Glencarin's they are too small, and I have to tilt my head way back to drink, very uncomfortable when having a conversation.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RII1Y0W/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2WAXK2WLZ5CH2&colid=2EKXZMRY0IDPA&psc=0

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ATV2Q5Q/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I219Q0MVU4ZS5A&colid=2EKXZMRY0IDPA&psc=1

Anyone have any reviews on these?

I have thought about the Norlan (Norman :D)glass, but I just think they are way over priced, and with these 2 I get 6 glasses for about the same price as the Norman's.

I follow It's Bourbon night on YT, and I've noticed that they use the 1st glass I linked quite a bit.
You might like them @BourbonBinder they blind review bourbons, and only Ky bourbon.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuaWfZ9zdiH_io26xWbsprg
I think I would be more akin to the second glass (The Talory'd) but even that might involve some form of tipping. I love the spill proof abilities the Glencairn offers (tipping it on it's side will prevent most from escaping) so that 2nd glass looks like it retains that added benefit. Also the wider mouth will assist you in some of the more bolder bourbons. There's something about the Glencairn that just gets me, might have to do with it holding my first love; Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select, and that it's been with me on every glass of bourbon since (besides going to bars which I always ask for a snifter). I hear what you're saying about the Norlan and one of these days I will just jump and pay the price (at least you get 2).

Also I tend to disagree with choosing a glass that enables me to have a conversation while drinking. I completely agree when it comes to a nice beer glass but with bourbon (and this is just me talking here) I like to get up close and intimate with my whiskey, romantic if you must. I don't want any distractions when I'm priming my palate, and witnessing all of the complexities and nuances my taste buds can recognize after every sip. The Glencairn is an over-achiever at this, and so is a Snifter for that matter (as most bars here in NJ don't carry the Glencairn).

As for the YouTube channel "It's Bourbon Night" I gave it a try awhile ago but just wasn't digging the chemistry from Sara. I also was once a subscriber to "Whiskey Blooded" but found his reviews to be a little to wordy before the review actually started. Something about "The Bourbon Brothers" just syncs up with me. We have similar dislikes and likes and they have both helped me make important decisions on what to buy next. Since I usually only do blind bottle buys (without first tasting it) that kind of thing is very important. After 35 bottles bought blindly, I've only been disappointed once, and that was with Elijah Craig 12, which took a turn for the worse when it transition in the bottle from smooth to harsh (between each uncorking). There's just a type of rush I get when I buy a bottle blindly and I pour my first glass.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A little time with my friend Basil...
View attachment 106641
I was a big fan of my Basil Hayden's and if I started with this as my first I would have been more than pleased. I just love how it drink WAAAAY above it's proof of 80, to me it tasted like a 95 proof at least, with an oh so long finish and a very diverse palate. I'm excited to try their "Dark Rye" which has a very catching red label.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Took my wife out for a date night at an awesome speakeasy bar and spoke with the bartenders (and saw a post of theirs on instagram) I FINALLY got to try the 2016 Old Forester birthday bourbon. They also had the 2015 and 2017 OFBB too. I finished off the ‘15 for them and I got to take the empty bottle home being it was a milestone year for me.

And to add to the excitement, they had a bottle of ORVW and Van Winkle 12 year reserve too! But that’s for another visit with a DD and more $$$.

Also tried some Jefferson’s Reserve Ocean but no picture of it. Sorry, no picture of that.

Sent from my cellular device via tap to talk
Congrats man!! That sounds awesome.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I picked up a bottle of this to bring to a herf in Chicago earlier this month and absolutely loved it.
When I got home and started looking for more, I find out it is NOT distributed anywhere in New Mexico.
To say I was disappointed is a gross understatement.
Two weeks later I get a text from my cousin in Austin Tx. saying he will be passing through Albuquerque and could he stay a few nights. Never a problem here.
Of course I search stores in Austin and bingo! Plenty available!
I asked for two 750ml bottles and will gladly pay for them.
This guy shows up with two 1.75 bottles and refuses to take any money.
So I send him down the road with a dozen local brews and a large Baggie full of cigars, it's the least I can do.
Merry Christmas to me!
image.jpeg

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I picked up a bottle of this to bring to a herf in Chicago earlier this month and absolutely loved it.
When I got home and started looking for more, I find out it is NOT distributed anywhere in New Mexico.
To say I was disappointed is a gross understatement.
Two weeks later I get a text from my cousin in Austin Tx. saying he will be passing through Albuquerque and could he stay a few nights. Never a problem here.
Of course I search stores in Austin and bingo! Plenty available!
I asked for two 750ml bottles and will gladly pay for them.
This guy shows up with two 1.75 bottles and refuses to take any money.
So I send him down the road with a dozen local brews and a large Baggie full of cigars, it's the least I can do.
Merry Christmas to me!
View attachment 106680
Love Willett Pot Still myself! Really enjoy it! Lucky man.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Never once found a Weller (not exactly readily available under the rocks I've searched under here in New Jersey) but I'm very excited for my first bottle buy. Maybe when I start to travel again I will find one. Thanks to @erjaq I feel privileged being able to try one of the ultimate Weller's; the William LaRue Weller from the 2016 BTAC.
I have been looking in my work travels, keep finding SR in Dallas, haven’t seen 107 or the 12 year yet. But it won’t stop me from looking. Good luck and keep trying it will happen.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I think I would be more akin to the second glass (The Talory'd) but even that might involve some form of tipping. I love the spill proof abilities the Glencairn offers (tipping it on it's side will prevent most from escaping) so that 2nd glass looks like it retains that added benefit. Also the wider mouth will assist you in some of the more bolder bourbons. There's something about the Glencairn that just gets me, might have to do with it holding my first love; Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select, and that it's been with me on every glass of bourbon since (besides going to bars which I always ask for a snifter). I hear what you're saying about the Norlan and one of these days I will just jump and pay the price (at least you get 2).

Also I tend to disagree with choosing a glass that enables me to have a conversation while drinking. I completely agree when it comes to a nice beer glass but with bourbon (and this is just me talking here) I like to get up close and intimate with my whiskey, romantic if you must. I don't want any distractions when I'm priming my palate, and witnessing all of the complexities and nuances my taste buds can recognize after every sip. The Glencairn is an over-achiever at this, and so is a Snifter for that matter (as most bars here in NJ don't carry the Glencairn).

As for the YouTube channel "It's Bourbon Night" I gave it a try awhile ago but just wasn't digging the chemistry from Sara. I also was once a subscriber to "Whiskey Blooded" but found his reviews to be a little to wordy before the review actually started. Something about "The Bourbon Brothers" just syncs up with me. We have similar dislikes and likes and they have both helped me make important decisions on what to buy next. Since I usually only do blind bottle buys (without first tasting it) that kind of thing is very important. After 35 bottles bought blindly, I've only been disappointed once, and that was with Elijah Craig 12, which took a turn for the worse when it transition in the bottle from smooth to harsh (between each uncorking). There's just a type of rush I get when I buy a bottle blindly and I pour my first glass.
I totally understand the close and intimacy with bourbon, but I can be a bit of a blabbermouth when the alcohol get in me heh.
I think Sara is more experienced in her bourbons' than Chad, but that's me, she takes the heavy spicer drinks like a champ. I agree with you on Whiskey Blooded, I have not heard of The Bourbon Brothers, will have to check them out, that is a helluva a track record you have there my friend.
I too will probably just buy all 3 glasses, it's only $ right? I will not however get the Glencarins, just not for me.