What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Massachusetts or Grand Cayman depending on weather
Was visiting my daughter in Brooklyn, NY last night. She takes me to the Post Office in Williamsburg, absolutely the best whiskey bar I've ever been to. They have a great bourbon menu. The owner happened to be there, and we got to talking. He tells me he has a lot of bottles not on the menu. I mention I like wheated bourbons, and ask if he has Wellers, which was not listed on the menu. Absolutely he says. Well I'm psyched, as it's pretty hard to find Wellers in my area of town. But then he says, I also have Pappy's 10 or 12! Well I've been waiting my whole life to try Pappy's to see what the hype is all about. I start with a Pappy's 10 neat (always). It is by far the best bourbon I've ever tasted. Incredibly smooth, mellow, rich, and with a huge long finish. Now I figure I might as well go for the 12 year. The pours are not cheap but it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. It was fantastic as well, but I have to say I liked the 10 year more. He also gave me a free shot of the Wellers so I could compare it to the Pappy's. Wellers is great, but not in the same league. He told me that there are only 56 bottles of Pappy's distributed to the entire NYC area each November, and that he got three of them. He was offered the Pappy's 23, but he would have had to charge $100 a pour, and didn't think he'd sell too many so he doesn't carry it. I finished the evening down the street at a speakeasy bar with a Woodford reserve. Still a great bourbon even after a couple of Pappy's. All in all a good night.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My New Years resolution: 1) get into Bourbons 2) get into pipes & distant 3) start exercising/ eating better...so this is my first buy after trying it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you're just getting into Bourbon, I started a thread awhile back that may have some good tips you might find revealing. Hope you're enjoying it so far. Whistlepig Rye is certainly no slouch. Happy New Year!!

http://www.botl.org/threads/for-brothers-new-to-bourbon.89114/

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blade & Bow

Definitely need a bottle

And I sampled some Hudson Baby Bourbon, I need to sample some more, I liked it, but didn't love it. I got a lot of fruit out of it....like apples.
Apples is a pretty common nuance I come across from time to time. EHT Small Batch was an apple bomb for me. It's a nice change of pace from the usual spicy characteristics of bourbon.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I totally understand the close and intimacy with bourbon, but I can be a bit of a blabbermouth when the alcohol get in me heh.
I think Sara is more experienced in her bourbons' than Chad, but that's me, she takes the heavy spicer drinks like a champ. I agree with you on Whiskey Blooded, I have not heard of The Bourbon Brothers, will have to check them out, that is a helluva a track record you have there my friend.
I too will probably just buy all 3 glasses, it's only $ right? I will not however get the Glencarins, just not for me.
HAHA Thanks!
I re-watched their channel again and agree that Sara is more experienced and able with the higher proofed bourbons. As for the glencairn, get whatever helps you enjoy this great hobby all the more. There are no wrong or right choices, just ones that are more or less popular. Even if you prefer drinking bourbon out of a red solo cup; who am I to say you should do it my way. That's the great thing about Bourbon drinkers, we're way more lax than our over-meticulous Scotch drinking brothers lol

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was visiting my daughter in Brooklyn, NY last night. She takes me to the Post Office in Williamsburg, absolutely the best whiskey bar I've ever been to. They have a great bourbon menu. The owner happened to be there, and we got to talking. He tells me he has a lot of bottles not on the menu. I mention I like wheated bourbons, and ask if he has Wellers, which was not listed on the menu. Absolutely he says. Well I'm psyched, as it's pretty hard to find Wellers in my area of town. But then he says, I also have Pappy's 10 or 12! Well I've been waiting my whole life to try Pappy's to see what the hype is all about. I start with a Pappy's 10 neat (always). It is by far the best bourbon I've ever tasted. Incredibly smooth, mellow, rich, and with a huge long finish. Now I figure I might as well go for the 12 year. The pours are not cheap but it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. It was fantastic as well, but I have to say I liked the 10 year more. He also gave me a free shot of the Wellers so I could compare it to the Pappy's. Wellers is great, but not in the same league. He told me that there are only 56 bottles of Pappy's distributed to the entire NYC area each November, and that he got three of them. He was offered the Pappy's 23, but he would have had to charge $100 a pour, and didn't think he'd sell too many so he doesn't carry it. I finished the evening down the street at a speakeasy bar with a Woodford reserve. Still a great bourbon even after a couple of Pappy's. All in all a good night.
I will have to check that place out next time i'm in the city. Was thinking about checking out Nat Sherman's for my first time so that would be awesome to close out a night in the city.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
HAHA Thanks!
I re-watched their channel again and agree that Sara is more experienced and able with the higher proofed bourbons. As for the glencairn, get whatever helps you enjoy this great hobby all the more. There are no wrong or right choices, just ones that are more or less popular. Even if you prefer drinking bourbon out of a red solo cup; who am I to say you should do it my way. That's the great thing about Bourbon drinkers, we're way more lax than our over-meticulous Scotch drinking brothers lol
I concur, but I will not be drinking out of a red solo cup

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks I started to follow it. I definitely have to find easier to find good bourbons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's one of the beauties of Bourbon, even if you go my route of blind bottle buys, at an average price of $35 - $40 (here in NJ at least), you're not gonna go wrong all too often. Out of the 35 blind bottle buys I've only experienced one that didn't suit me, and I still polished off the bottle. My only advice is to attempt to steer clear of the one to two dimensional bourbons after you develop your palate. These are great for cocktails but not so great for sipping neat. Examples of this can be Standard Makers Mark, Bulleit, Knob Creek 100 proof. I wasn't able to draw much deep rich complexity of either of these, but that might have to do with my experience and fondness for barrel proof bourbons. For beginners these 3 bourbons are probably the most requested, although I started off with Woodford Reserve so what do I know.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
That's one of the beauties of Bourbon, even if you go my route of blind bottle buys, at an average price of $35 - $40 (here in NJ at least), you're not gonna go wrong all too often. Out of the 35 blind bottle buys I've only experienced one that didn't suit me, and I still polished off the bottle. My only advice is to attempt to steer clear of the one to two dimensional bourbons after you develop your palate. These are great for cocktails but not so great for sipping neat. Examples of this can be Standard Makers Mark, Bulleit, Knob Creek 100 proof. I wasn't able to draw much deep rich complexity of either of these, but that might have to do with my experience and fondness for barrel proof bourbons. For beginners these 3 bourbons are probably the most requested, although I started off with Woodford Reserve so what do I know.
There is probably lots of truth to that. I look at Makers, Knobb Creek, Jack, etc. like I look at Budweiser and Coors. Made for the masses, they aren't "craft" spirit makers. I'm no expert and I don't mean any disrespect to anyone that enjoys them. Drink, smoke, enjoy what you like but typically a smaller scale manufacturer that uses higher quality ingredients and takes more care during their process is going to produce a higher quality product with more "character" that I'm going to enjoy more.