What's new

Today's Bourbon

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Not sure if this is the right place for questions, but.

Been a while since I've been in the bourbon/scotch arena. Now that I finally have a bar, I need a few bottles (shocked I have none) but noticed prices are all over the place and availability is stupid. When I was drinking it casually, I could get George T for $80 a bottle.

Anyhow, looking for suggestions on great bottles that would be fairly available in the market that don't cost you a second mortgage.

Thanks for looking and mods, please move this if I'm in the wrong spot.

Cheers

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Just what I waa looking for. Was a little embarrassed when I had a friend over and he asks for bourbon and I was .... have plenty of crazy rum but wasn't bourbon.

Jfire, appreciate the kindness but I was just looking for leads to help the old mind.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trying Blanton's for the first time at a local bar. My question is why the hell I waited so long to try it!? Sooo delicious. I'll be buying some at the local shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like yourself I waited awhile before trying Blantons, although mine was consciously. I had heard it was one of the best and readily available bourbons, when i first got into the hobby. I wanted my palate to be ready as can be & have as much variations of bourbon before it, so i could compare. Bar none my 2nd favorite of all time. Clearly lived up to my expectations. Thanks for sharing

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Just what I waa looking for. Was a little embarrassed when I had a friend over and he asks for bourbon and I was .... have plenty of crazy rum but wasn't bourbon.

Jfire, appreciate the kindness but I was just looking for leads to help the old mind.
You can't go wrong with anything from Woodford Reserve (mainly Distillers Select). I've yet to try Double Oaked, but hear great things. Also Eagle Rare is a good expression, although short on the finish. I'm mainly a high proof (110 & up) & neat bourbon drinker but I gotta throw some prop points to Basil Hayden's. It may only be 80 proof but it drinks much like a mid 90's proof with a very lengthy finish with complexity. You'll find Evan Williams Single Barrel to be somewhat inconsistent (it's usually hit or miss) as of late. Mine was a big miss (2008). I've found most of my truly great bourbons to be anywhere from $28 to $50. Haven't had the privilege of Buffalo Traces Antique Collection or Pappy but that stuff certainly isn't readily available. I'm still wait listed for mine.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Like yourself I waited awhile before trying Blantons, although mine was consciously. I had heard it was one of the best and readily available bourbons, when i first got into the hobby. I wanted my palate to be ready as can be & have as much variations of bourbon before it, so i could compare. Bar none my 2nd favorite of all time. Clearly lived up to my expectations. Thanks for sharing
I haven't been out to a bar in quite a while but I always try to scope out bourbons, scotch and whiskies that have been on my radar before comitting to a bottle. So being I've seen it posted here numerous times, knowing readily available and finally at a local bar I took the plunge. They have Bookers too. But that's for next time I go visit. I already have a bottle before the whole price gauge crap of theirs that occured. But seems like my local shop the prices went up on it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't been out to a bar in quite a while but I always try to scope out bourbons, scotch and whiskies that have been on my radar before comitting to a bottle. So being I've seen it posted here numerous times, knowing readily available and finally at a local bar I took the plunge. They have Bookers too. But that's for next time I go visit. I already have a bottle before the whole price gauge crap of theirs that occured. But seems like my local shop the prices went up on it.

Smart formula. I had a snifter of my 1st Bookers at JR Cigars Montecristo Lounge with a nice Upmann stick. Man I wasn't ready for the flavor & strength explosion (had it neat too). My first lesson in not judging a bourbon by its label. (I thought since it was a Jim Beam product, it would be like there other mass produced stuff). Happy to be wrong & I bought a bottle afterwards (Ring Batch- 126.7 proof). My mission is to never buy the same bourbon twice; so much out there to experience (that's just my crazy ways)

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Smart formula. I had a snifter of my 1st Bookers at JR Cigars Montecristo Lounge with a nice Upmann stick. Man I wasn't ready for the flavor & strength explosion (had it neat too). My first lesson in not judging a bourbon by its label. (I thought since it was a Jim Beam product, it would be like there other mass produced stuff). Happy to be wrong & I bought a bottle afterwards (Ring Batch- 126.7 proof). My mission is to never buy the same bourbon twice; so much out there to experience (that's just my crazy ways)
Some of the craziest looking bottles/labels have the best tasting spirits! Haha