What's new

Today's Bourbon

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Thanks to @Unpossible_1 or @irratebass for mentioning the awesome sale on RR10 locally!
I was out after work yesterday and snagged these at Big Red... I also had to sample one last night since it has been a while since I have had RR10. Ridiculously good for the sale price. Cheers!
View attachment 131422
I'm still jealous of you boys...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Thanks to @Unpossible_1 or @irratebass for mentioning the awesome sale on RR10 locally!
I was out after work yesterday and snagged these at Big Red... I also had to sample one last night since it has been a while since I have had RR10. Ridiculously good for the sale price. Cheers!
View attachment 131422
That's probably my favorite in the WT product line. Right combo of age, taste, and proof for me. And price! Their high rye mashbill tends to drink hotter than the proof to me, so that one is just right...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Ok, all this talk about rye got me interested...20190216_170249.jpg
Bulleit was a nose full of green grass, and it tasted the same. Potent, bold, sweet grass. Spicy, as expected. Finish was short and, well, grassy. 95% rye mashbill would expect this.

Sazerac had a nose of grass and caramel. Expected the caramel to show on the palate too, but it was absent. Tasted watery, dilute, after the Bulleit. Had some rye spice, but subdued. Tasted like a rye that had been proofed down too much. Definitely not a mixer... Finish was better, with lingering oak, and a touch of caramel.

EHT Rye nose was much more oak and caramel relative to the first two. Palate was more caramel sweetness, with oak. Grass was present, naturally, but in the background. Finished long, starts grassy, but ends with an oak note.

KC CS nosed more like a bourbon. Caramel, oak. Slight rye spice relative to the others on the palate. This really drinks like a bourbon. Richer, sweeter, plenty of oak. Finish is long, full of oak, sweet, but relatively grass-free. Seriously, this is like bourbon...

I'm a fan of the KC. The EHT is passable, but not a repeat at $70. Probably won't buy the Saz again. Bulleit is the generic MGP (made in IN) available under 50 labels. I buy MGP-sourced rye based on best price...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Ok, all this talk about rye got me interested...View attachment 131435
Bulleit was a nose full of green grass, and it tasted the same. Potent, bold, sweet grass. Spicy, as expected. Finish was short and, well, grassy. 95% rye mashbill would expect this.

Sazerac had a nose of grass and caramel. Expected the caramel to show on the palate too, but it was absent. Tasted watery, dilute, after the Bulleit. Had some rye spice, but subdued. Tasted like a rye that had been proofed down too much. Definitely not a mixer... Finish was better, with lingering oak, and a touch of caramel.

EHT Rye nose was much more oak and caramel relative to the first two. Palate was more caramel sweetness, with oak. Grass was present, naturally, but in the background. Finished long, starts grassy, but ends with an oak note.

KC CS nosed more like a bourbon. Caramel, oak. Slight rye spice relative to the others on the palate. This really drinks like a bourbon. Richer, sweeter, plenty of oak. Finish is long, full of oak, sweet, but relatively grass-free. Seriously, this is like bourbon...

I'm a fan of the KC. The EHT is passable, but not a repeat at $70. Probably won't buy the Saz again. Bulleit is the generic MGP (made in IN) available under 50 labels. Buy MGP-sourced rye based on best price...
How does the KC compare to their other ryes? I keep seeing but wasn't sure if the cask strength is worth the extra money.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
How does the KC compare to their other ryes? I keep seeing but wasn't sure if the cask strength is worth the extra money.
Only other KC rye I've tried was during a barrel pick. They were all in the 130s proof-wise, and 5 years old. All three barrels tasted the same, nothing exceptional. Good, but they were taking it down to 115 at bottling. Never bothered to buy a bottle.

This cask strength is 9 yrs old and 119.6 proof. Lots of barrel influence with the extra aging. $45 vs $60, it's worth the extra $15 to me. If I drank more rye, I'd look into the double cask. Intriguing, but not that dedicated to drinking rye, personally.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
View attachment 131364 First time with this one. Not bad, was hoping for better. At 7 years, it has more youthful character than I hoped. Sourced from HH, but reminds me more of a Beam product, almost Bookers-like. Peanut/corn grain...

I'll revisit it in the future. Might not be a good one to contrast with the KC CS Rye...
Are you at a Knob Creek showroom or is that your home setup? Looks professionally decorated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
View attachment 131422
Man I gotta try some of that. It’s gotta be damn good enough for you to buy a case of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Are you at a Knob Creek showroom or is that your home setup? Looks professionally decorated.
That's my bar area/game room/entertainment area. The barrel was from a Private Selection I was a part of. The table is my open bottles and the artwork is a XL painting I came across in a furniture store.