What's new

Today's Bourbon

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Hey little thing let me light your candle, cause I’m sure hard to handle now.....
You introducing me to the Russel's Reserve line during the Milwaukee HERF was the single best (and worst) bourbon gift I've ever received. The number of bottles I've gone through since then is substantial.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Mick, how is this one? Don't think I've seen in in my liquor store. Is it wirth tracking down?
Bob if you like your bourbon hot with a sweet hot caramel flavor with apricots, then I say yep it's work it. It was good, but i am not used to such hotness. Not like my BT or Woordford.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Mick, how is this one? Don't think I've seen in in my liquor store. Is it wirth tracking down?
Isnt that the release that blended Beam Bourbon with very well aged corn whiskey?
Here's the review fellas

https://thewhiskeywash.com/reviews/whiskey-review-little-book-easy/

To summarize @gurgalunas you are correct:

Earlier this year, Jim Beam announced it was introducing a new twice-yearly release called Little Book. Packaged in a Booker’s lookalike bottle, Little Book is also an uncut, unfiltered whiskey, but it’s not tied to Booker Noe, Beam’s previous, famously charismatic master distiller. Instead, Little Book is the first whiskey created by Freddie Noe, Booker’s grandson and the son of current master distiller Fred Noe.

The new whiskey takes its name from the nickname Booker gave to Freddie as a child, apparently in a nod to qualities he saw in his grandson that reminded him of himself. (For me, I’m having a hard time banishing Manny’s introductory scene from Black Books from my mind every time I hear the phrase.) Now 30, Freddie Noe says blending, tinkering, and experimenting are his passions, hinting that the Little Book line may become a venue for Beam to release unusual, experimental, or non-traditional whiskeys.

The first Little Book expression, called The Easy, certainly kicks things off on a quirky foot. It’s a blended whiskey, but unlike the cheapo plastic pint bottles stashed behind the counter, it doesn’t contain any neutral grain spirit or flavorings. Instead, it’s a blend of four different whiskeys in unspecified proportion: a four-year-old bourbon, a 13-year-old corn whiskey, an approximately six-year-old straight rye whiskey, and an approximately six-year-old straight malt whiskey. According to the marketing materials, the corn, rye, and malt whiskeys were chosen to reflect “the three ingredients commonly found in a bourbon mash bill.”

I love a good oddity, so I was delighted when we received a sample of this new release, well ahead of Little Book’s proposed October introduction to the market. Will this be the next must-have bottle for Beam fans?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So i wanted to publicly thank Craig @gurgalunas and Mickey @irratebass for bombing me recently. You guys are awesome!! This month hasn’t exactly been kind to me as the small company that I work for is closing their doors at the end of this month. Luckily I have some possibilities lined up but still kinda sucks, as I liked what I did. When I got home on Saturday, these packages were waiting for me. Expect a couple of my style reviews coming this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thought I start this party off this week with one of the Bourbon samples I received. Thanks Gurgalunas for the best Knob Creek I’ve had to date.

Bourbon: Knob Creek Single Barrel Private Selection

Glass: Glencairn

Proof: (guess) 121.4

Legs in Glass: oily, like Yankee Pinstripes

Color: Copper with a deep orange hue

Nose: A real nose dweller. Notes of honeysuckle, maple brown sugar, leather, tobacco & honey graham cracker

Palate: A viscous mouthfeel with chewy notes of molasses, pecans and potent sticky honey

Finish: Loooong & spicy with tantalizing nuances of black peppercorn & semi sweet chocolate

Cigar pairing: upcoming

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
@BourbonBinder Sorry to hear about the job situation. Hopefully, you'll be able to look back on this as the opportunity that pushed you on to greater things.

That KC is one of my favorite bottles I've tasted, with very few exceptions. The mouthfeel and finish are to die for... sadly, the store is sold out, but we picked another barrel that had similar qualities, is a year older, and it's due in at any time.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@BourbonBinder Sorry to hear about the job situation. Hopefully, you'll be able to look back on this as the opportunity that pushed you on to greater things.

That KC is one of my favorite bottles I've tasted, with very few exceptions. The mouthfeel and finish are to die for... sadly, the store is sold out, but we picked another barrel that had similar qualities, is a year older, and it's due in at any time.
Thanks you guys, appreciate the well wishes. Luckily I have good cigars & excellent whiskey to keep me smiling. Going to be surrounded by my cigar friends on Friday; that place is like medicine to me.

That’s really cool! How’s my aim with the proof? I’m curious to see how close I was (121.4 Proof).

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
All KC SiB is bottled at 120 proof, but I think that one was low 120s straight out of the barrel. One of the keys when doing barrel picks (samples are straight out of the barrel, not diluted) is to realize the effect of adding water at bottling. While they provide distillery water to dilute the samples to bottling proof, the less water added makes for better bourbon in the bottle (generally). Usually, several of the 3 choices are high 120s or low 130s at barrel proof. As long as the lower proof option tastes good to start with, there is less dilution of the flavor, mouthfeel, and other aspects of flavor, and the bottled product will be closer to the sample. You know exactly what you are getting...