What's new

Today's Bourbon

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
IMPRESSIVE!!! How many cigars would you say you smoke in a week? I'm only at about 3 per week, which I enjoy Friday only at my cigar lounge. 1-2 cigars at B&M prices and one that I smoke from my private travel humidor (online prices).
I would say the average week for me is 10-12. I'm probably only at a B&M 5 or 6 times a year, so most of it is on-line or gifted/traded cigars for me.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’m not sure this goes here, but I’ll post it anyway. Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream with coffee paired with an AJF Last Call.
View attachment 135450
Thanks @GoBison for turning me on to the BTBC!!(y)

Jody
If you like the Buffalo Trace Bourbon and Crème you need to try the Barton's Chocolate Bourbon Ball liquor available at the distillery. If you are ever in the area pickup a couple of bottles. Nice for that "something sweet" after dinner.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
If you like the Buffalo Trace Bourbon and Crème you need to try the Barton's Chocolate Bourbon Ball liquor available at the distillery. If you are ever in the area pickup a couple of bottles. Nice for that "something sweet" after dinner.
Ok, thanks for the heads up. (y)

Jody

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
You picked great places to start. I probably would have started you with the BH, as it's an 80 proof bottle. Not that the BT is high proof, but usually it's best to introduce one with lower alcohol. Its so the burn, which takes some getting used to, isnt as much of a factor.

The BT is a great one, and budget friendly. What did you think?
Sorry for the two day delay. Had to do the 16 hour shifts the past two days. I think I deserve another drink tonight, lol!

So on to my first pour. I chose the BT because that was the one I’ve wanted to try since I made the decision to give bourbon a try. You’re right though, I probably should have started with the BH but, oh well. The burn was not bad at all with the BT. I was expecting it to get to me more than it did.

I poured it neat, deciding I wanted to taste the bourbon and nothing else. I’m sure I’ll experiment with an ice cube or a drop of water in the future. I liked the aroma, sweet with a bit of oak to it. Not being able to compare it to anything else yet, I’ll just say it was a very pleasant smell. First sip and that sweetness was really there in the forefront. I got the burn at the end but it was very tolerable. I’m sure there are more unique flavors than just saying it was sweet but it was very good. I drank it with a Roma Craft Cromagnon, which for me is a bold, medium to full cigar. I think they paired fairly well, but maybe a less sweet bourbon would go better?

Overall, I really enjoyed the experience. It was a nice departure from my normal beer and cigar pairing. I can definitely get used to this, and I’m looking forward to trying again with the BH.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for the two day delay. Had to do the 16 hour shifts the past two days. I think I deserve another drink tonight, lol!

So on to my first pour. I chose the BT because that was the one I’ve wanted to try since I made the decision to give bourbon a try. You’re right though, I probably should have started with the BH but, oh well. The burn was not bad at all with the BT. I was expecting it to get to me more than it did.

I poured it neat, deciding I wanted to taste the bourbon and nothing else. I’m sure I’ll experiment with an ice cube or a drop of water in the future. I liked the aroma, sweet with a bit of oak to it. Not being able to compare it to anything else yet, I’ll just say it was a very pleasant smell. First sip and that sweetness was really there in the forefront. I got the burn at the end but it was very tolerable. I’m sure there are more unique flavors than just saying it was sweet but it was very good. I drank it with a Roma Craft Cromagnon, which for me is a bold, medium to full cigar. I think they paired fairly well, but maybe a less sweet bourbon would go better?

Overall, I really enjoyed the experience. It was a nice departure from my normal beer and cigar pairing. I can definitely get used to this, and I’m looking forward to trying again with the BH.
Glad it's going well for you. I am a huge fan of Neat, as I've said many times on here. It's a good starting point for really anything. If I were to offer any bit of advice it would be this. You're certainly off to a good start getting the right foundation. Some people start off with using sand as a foundation and try bottom shelf bourbon, and I'm not referring to the good stuff like Evan William BiB or Heaven Hill BiB either. What you started off with is concrete. So my advice would be to keep building off of that (staying on this metaphor thing). Don't skip all the way to the roof, which IMO would be top shelf Single Barrel or Barrel Proof. Wait until you have more bourbon under your belt before making the leap. I did it this way and I found a greater appreciation in what I was trying as a result. In fact the first 7 bourbons were as follows: 1. Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select - 2. Eagle Rare Single Barrel - 3. Elijah Craig 12 - 4. Angel's Envy - 5. Basil Hayden - 6. Blanton's Single Barrel - 7.Booker's. The idea was to find a deeper appreciation for bourbon before trying Blanton's for the first time, which helped me prepare for Booker's in return (my first Barrel Proof)

Hope this helps. In the end just have fun with it. I envy what you have; wish I could go back in time and try all of my now favorites for the first time again.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Glad it's going well for you. I am a huge fan of Neat, as I've said many times on here. It's a good starting point for really anything. If I were to offer any bit of advice it would be this. You're certainly off to a good start getting the right foundation. Some people start off with using sand as a foundation and try bottom shelf bourbon, and I'm not referring to the good stuff like Evan William BiB or Heaven Hill BiB either. What you started off with is concrete. So my advice would be to keep building off of that (staying on this metaphor thing). Don't skip all the way to the roof, which IMO would be top shelf Single Barrel or Barrel Proof. Wait until you have more bourbon under your belt before making the leap. I did it this way and I found a greater appreciation in what I was trying as a result. In fact the first 7 bourbons were as follows: 1. Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select - 2. Eagle Rare Single Barrel - 3. Elijah Craig 12 - 4. Angel's Envy - 5. Basil Hayden - 6. Blanton's Single Barrel - 7.Booker's. The idea was to find a deeper appreciation for bourbon before trying Blanton's for the first time, which helped me prepare for Booker's in return (my first Barrel Proof)

Hope this helps. In the end just have fun with it. I envy what you have; wish I could go back in time and try all of my now favorites for the first time again.
Thanks for your input brother. I know I have the experience of many of the brothers on here to help guide me on this journey.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Mint Julep earlier in the week and some Baby Saz tonight. I not to use the OWA in a cocktail, but I didn’t really have anything less expensive to use.

And I was planning on fixing that situation, but then my dad and a friend both reached with options to scoop two private barrel picks; one from a liquor store in MD that my dad stopped at, and one that’s not available for purchase to the general public but my friend gets some bottles because he is part of the group the selects the barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
It's been a year or two, but HW used to source rye from MGP in Indiana. They started distilling their own, and once the product reached 2 years old, they switched to their own distilled spirit. You may have gotten the old one on vacation, and the new one at home...
Makes some sense, not sure where or when my friend sourced the one from vacation. Might just have to discharge a little pepper spray into my next pour. ;)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cracked my bottle of High West Double Rye tonight, and was somewhat disappointed. The batch I had on vacation had a distinct cayenne heat on the back end; this one does not. Still good rye, I just liked the finish on the other one much better.

That reminds me of the first time I had Knob Creek Small Batch at the Montecristo Lounge in JR Cigars, or what I thought was the Small Batch. The server must not have properly checked, as it was the Single Barrel offering. It absolutely blew me away, as I was expecting it to fall flat on its face, much like that Maker's Mark I had. So obviously I had to have a bottle of my own (Small Batch). Suffice it to say it was nothing like the snifter I had at JR's.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Maker’s Mark Private Select Oak Stave - R. Field
BIL bought this a couple months ago and offered a taste to my wife and I tonight. I liked it and was mildly surprised that my wife liked it too...she’s not big on bourbon. I should see if they still have more.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Cracked my bottle of High West Double Rye tonight, and was somewhat disappointed. The batch I had on vacation had a distinct cayenne heat on the back end; this one does not. Still good rye, I just liked the finish on the other one much better.
Recently read an article by I guess Michael Veech that said our taste experiences are affected by many things including the food you eat, location, what you aredoing at the time, mood etc. So the bourbon may not have changed, just your experience of the bourbon changed.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
That reminds me of the first time I had Knob Creek Small Batch at the Montecristo Lounge in JR Cigars, or what I thought was the Small Batch. The server must not have properly checked, as it was the Single Barrel offering. It absolutely blew me away, as I was expecting it to fall flat on its face, much like that Maker's Mark I had. So obviously I had to have a bottle of my own (Small Batch). Suffice it to say it was nothing like the snifter I had at JR's.
I feel your pain.

Recently read an article by I guess Michael Veech that said our taste experiences are affected by many things including the food you eat, location, what you aredoing at the time, mood etc. So the bourbon may not have changed, just your experience of the bourbon changed.
:(

I absolutely agree with those factors as they affect cigars as well. But I'm also very sure there was a prominent cayenne note in the HWDR on vacation that is not present in my bottle....but Hell, I'll give her another try this weekend. :)

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I feel your pain.

:(

I absolutely agree with those factors as they affect cigars as well. But I'm also very sure there was a prominent cayenne note in the HWDR on vacation that is not present in my bottle....but Hell, I'll give her another try this weekend. :)
Agree completely that enjoyment of a pour is situationally enhanced. That spice note is difficult to mistake, though. DR used to be the 95% rye MGP mashbill, which is very spicy. If searching for that taste again, there are a lot of ryes that source the 95%. Bulleit, James E Pepper, Redemption, etc, etc, etc. Just watch the Rye labels for Distilled in Lawrenceburg, IN.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Agree completely that enjoyment of a pour is situationally enhanced. That spice note is difficult to mistake, though. DR used to be the 95% rye MGP mashbill, which is very spicy. If searching for that taste again, there are a lot of ryes that source the 95%. Bulleit, James E Pepper, Redemption, etc, etc, etc. Just watch the Rye labels for Distilled in Lawrenceburg, IN.
Excellent, I will look out for the Pepper and the Redemption, I know the Bulleit Rye is always on the shelf. Th Thank you for the tip!