What's new

Today's Bourbon

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
So how was it, Brian, I am hearing from people who have tried 22-01 and 22-02 that they like this one better.

I actually cracked my Ronnie's (22-01) last night. A bit muddled at first, some of the heat of Donohoe without the straight acetone notes. After being in the glass for 45 minutes or so it showed some tobacco and peanut shell notes and a nice viscosity. Pretty good actually. A second short pour landed somewhere in between. I definitely will be reserving judgement on this one until I see how it develops after a few weeks open.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how was it, Brian, I am hearing from people who have tried 22-01 and 22-02 that they like this one better.

I actually cracked my Ronnie's (22-01) last night. A bit muddled at first, some of the heat of Donohoe without the straight acetone notes. After being in the glass for 45 minutes or so it showed some tobacco and peanut shell notes and a nice viscosity. Pretty good actually. A second short pour landed somewhere in between. I definitely will be reserving judgement on this one until I see how it develops after a few weeks open.
Just a small pour but initial thoughts were amazing. I let it sit for a bit for some of the ethanol to bleed off of it, while not super complex it was quite tasty. Would recommend.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Just a small pour but initial thoughts were amazing. I let it sit for a bit for some of the ethanol to bleed off of it, while not super complex it was quite tasty. Would recommend.
Thank you Brian.

I grab a couple of each when I find them, and stockpile a few more of the best.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is making me think I should pour my high-proofers a half hour or so before I start to drink them. I noticed a BIG difference in the KC 9 SB when it sits in the glass for 15 or so minutes. After it sits, the nose in just absolutely gushes spice/caramel/vanilla pastry in the most pleasant way possible, and the burn eases a bit on the palate. Much of that nuance is missing when I sip it immediately after pouring.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is making me think I should pour my high-proofers a half hour or so before I start to drink them. I noticed a BIG difference in the KC 9 SB when it sits in the glass for 15 or so minutes. After it sits, the nose in just absolutely gushes spice/caramel/vanilla pastry in the most pleasant way possible, and the burn eases a bit on the palate. Much of that nuance is missing when I sip it immediately after pouring.
This. I always pour and wait. Usually jump in the shower in the evening while it waits.

Always a much better result for sure, IMO.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
yea I was at a tasting in Kentucky with a couple of people from Pennsylvania and when I asked for a bit of ice they started giving me the Bourbon Snob look. I said I live in Louisiana and if I'm drinking outside during the summer no ice means there probably won't be bourbon.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
yea I was at a tasting in Kentucky with a couple of people from Pennsylvania and when I asked for a bit of ice they started giving me the Bourbon Snob look. I said I live in Louisiana and if I'm drinking outside during the summer no ice means there probably won't be bourbon.
It's so true. As much as I love bourbon, I do most of my consuming during colder months. It really is a hard sell in this heat, especially since lately most of my choices are north of 105 proof.

I will say that going to Kentucky/Indiana last month kind of shattered my "the heat isn't as bad up north because there's no humidity like we have here" illusion. It was 96ish degrees there for two of our three days and I was still sweating like hell. Got a bit of a sunburn at the Speedway, and was sweating buckets touring Buffalo Trace.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Had a couple more samples last night, Stagg Jr. Batch 17 and Rebel 12 Year (distillery only, 125 proof).

The Stagg was consistent, I'd put 17 behind only batches 12 and 15 for recent releases.

The Rebel was amazing, sweet nose and a complex palate that drank less than its proof.

Detected a note of caramel in the Rebel, and decided that I wanted to finish the night with a LOT of caramel, so I had a bit of Country Ham before bed.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My vacation pours
Yuul ball Mezcal old fashioned 31BA48A1-535E-407F-81F5-868644FC7AC0.jpeg
Breakfast old fashioned
Bourbon with Kahlua, surprisingly good 841004ED-A316-4DE3-96DE-DA16C880498B.jpeg
Old Fashioned with Willet 4 year rye (sorry not much left of this one, I forgot to take a fresh picture) was looking forward to trying willet and another rye but just found this one a fairly standard rye.
CBDFF7B4-BA51-4364-9642-0BD4C15727EE.jpeg
next up old fashioned with Noah’s mill x2 (to date this is definitely one of my all time favorites). The Noah’s mill has such a rich fruit note and so smooth for the proof.34C2A1EE-79DC-4BC5-B413-6877E7B1DA87.jpeg