What's new

Todays brew (February 2005)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJerry

Coffee Guy
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Turquino Extra/Peaberry this morning and afternoon...two pot day so far.

Very rich and creamy...I'm going to be drinking this for the rest of the week...then I'll be working on some beautiful Dark Burundi beans that I've got.

I love my Job!

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Sorry I missed yesterday, it was an incredibly hectic day.

Today we did Kona da'Kine Estate Mix. A low grade Kona, still nice but not killer. It's a little less expensive then other kona's and still has the kona taste, much more so then any of the kona blends which require only 10% kona beans in them. This is a great cup of coffee, but some nonkonas can compete for less then half the price.

Live well, laugh often.

Have a great day.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Kenya AA Tegu in the house.

Live well, laugh often

Heading out to see Jimmy Buffett this evening.
"I got my hush puppies on, I was never meant for glitter rock n roll" JB

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I had a late night last night and an early board meeting at the radio station where they served some sort of annonymus brew. I had one cup of that. Got out of there as soon as I could and made a pot of JBM at work AHHHHHHHHHH nice.

The Buffett concert was good, typical parrothead nirvana. He did a great rendition of "Soutern Cross" by CSN and a really good "Uncle Johns' Band" a favorite from my deadhead days.
Two girls right in front of me put on their own show, I love watch girls in love (lust). :smt054

Live well, laugh often.
Have a great day.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
The much loved Kenya AA Tegu plantation. I buy this by the 10 pound bags.

African coffee's are some of the more forgiving beans in terms of roasting. They can accept a wide range of roasting degrees and still maintain their flavor profiles. The usually roast uniformly also.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I love the Kenya AA also. I tried some Malawi Mazzuzu #1s last week which I really like too.

Today's roast was Moka Java blend. First batch Full City+ and second batch City+ and then blended them. It came out really nice.

I had Indian Mysore Nuggets yesterday. I stupidly only got a pound and I have to ration it....

shatfield

Toast? Nope, Burnt!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
stogies&hoagies said:
I buy this by the 10 pound bags.
How many pounds of beans do you have at any given time?

I've never gotten into the home roasting thing. Do you roast one pound at a time, one pot, etc? What's the difference in taste between something you roast and something bought? (Excluding starbucks, I can taste the difference there!) I love coffee, but definitely not snobby about it, I can drink whatever is around. I can definitely appreciate a good cup, though.

Just curious. :smile:

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I have about 15 maybe 20 pounds on hand right now. I'm thinking of placing an order shortly. My last order was for 42 pounds.

I use a freshroast8 machine. It will hold enough beans for about a 6 or 8 cup pot of coffee for each roast. I usually do three roasts of a bean at a time as that will fit into a quart size mason jar perfectly. After roasting a batch of beans, they will need to rest at least 24 hours (48 is better) before using them to brew a pot. During that time the beans give off CO2 and the mason jar will need to be burped a couple, three times, to let the gas escape. Most beans take under 6 minutes to roast a batch. I usually brew the beans within 10 days of roasting for maximum freshness. Green beans will last well over a year in a cool dark cabinet. (not in my house LOL)

The taste difference is incredible between store bought and home roast. The is never any bitterness with home roast. I tend to buy most of my beans with the same flavor profile. I like nutty, cocoa, earthy, caramel best. Green beans come in as many flavor profiles as wines. I drink my coffees black, the wife likes a touch of cream. It's amazing how just a very small amount of either cream or sugar can completely change the taste, bringing out different flavors. Lots of my buds do that.

Another bonus is the cost, about half the price of store bought beans. A lot of beans can be had for under $6 a pound. The cost to get started is about $80 to $90. That includes the machine and usually a starter order of 4 pounds of beans. The machine is smaller than a kitchen blender.

Do you grind your own beans? If so I could send you some that I roast and you could try it. It's better to grind them just before brewing for maximum flavor. I warn you though, once you try fresh roast, you're toast, just like smoking your first cubans.

LMK if you want me to send you some, I can roast them this weekend and ship 'em monday.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Love great thick coffee...Had some amazing coffee from "you know where" when I was in London, brought a bag of beans back, talk about dark roast.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
allanf said:
Love great thick coffee...Had some amazing coffee from "you know where" when I was in London, brought a bag of beans back, talk about dark roast.
If you're referring to cuban coffees, yeah they can to be roasted pretty dark, almost to an oily sheen. Most beans don't benefit from that dark a roast, but cuban coffees can hold up pretty well.

shatfield

Toast? Nope, Burnt!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thanks for the info. I had no idea it was that inexpensive to do. I grind mine just before I brew it, and I definitely taste the difference from the pre-ground.

I can only drink my coffee black in the afternoons and evenings. For some reason it doesn't go down in the morning, so I usually add cream and sometimes a little sugar. But I am more and more enjoying it black.

I would absolutely love to try some of yours, and I'm sure that's a slippery slope too. My addy is in my profile. Thanks a ton!! And I'll let you know how it goes down.

Sam

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
It's a two potter morning. The wife sleeps in so I make a small pot for me to start and then something for her when she gets up.
My choice was the cuban serrano I got from a box pass. It rested 48+ hours and I roasted it well into second crack. Very nice full bodies coffee. Smooth as can be.
For the wife the Kenta AA Tegu, I like to keep her happy.

Now it's off to the cigar club for our Sat. morning smoke. Once a month we all get together to discuss new member applications and just to smoke. Coffee and breakfast is supplied. We have about 50 members. Most make it to these.

Live well, laugh often.

Have a great day.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just getting into the home roasting scene personally. Still trying to decide on what beans to order, so I am sipping on some Nicaraguan Knife Fight courtesy of Mr Jerry this morning.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Cold and rainy here this morning so I went with one of my favorites.

Pele Plantation Pearlman Estate kona coffee. Quite possibly my favorite of PP's kona's. Chocolatey and velvety with a great round, full mouthfeel.

Live well, laugh often

Have a great day

Status
Not open for further replies.