What's new

Today's Scotch

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This was the “appetizer” in a scotch tasting session at a friends home in Finsbay, isle of Harris, Scotland. It was followed by Old Pultney 17, Clynelish 21, Clynelish Distillery Edition and Bowmore.

It was a good night, but after the first I gave up on pictures.

Trout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Night 2.

A word of warning. When you are in the home of a Scotsman, especially one who has been drinking and collecting scotch whiskey for 60 years, do NOT make general statements like “all Islay’s are terrible”. He will endeavor to prove you wrong, and you will pay for it the next morning.

Tonight, Aberfeldy 12 for the teaser, a Caol Ila cask strength that was almost peat free and was divine, a Caol Ila that was very peaty and still divine and this Kilchoman that was somewhat peaty but very nice.

So though I may never love Laphroig, Lagavullan, Talisker or Ardbeg, I can no longer say Islay’s are terrible. There are just as many Islay’s closer to Bunnahabain as there are Islay’s like Ardbeg.

And oh, am I enjoying learning that.

Trout

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Night 2.

A word of warning. When you are in the home of a Scotsman, especially one who has been drinking and collecting scotch whiskey for 60 years, do NOT make general statements like “all Islay’s are terrible”. He will endeavor to prove you wrong, and you will pay for it the next morning.

Tonight, Aberfeldy 12 for the teaser, a Caol Ila cask strength that was almost peat free and was divine, a Caol Ila that was very peaty and still divine and this Kilchoman that was somewhat peaty but very nice.

So though I may never love Laphroig, Lagavullan, Talisker or Ardbeg, I can no longer say Islay’s are terrible. There are just as many Islay’s closer to Bunnahabain as there are Islay’s like Ardbeg.

And oh, am I enjoying learning that.

Trout

ever have any Bowmore's? Its still peated, but less so with more barrel influences(sherry) showing through

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nite 3 was gentle. Had to leave early the next morning to catch the ferry to Skye. So Fettercairn Fior for appetizer, a Glenmorangie Signet for entree and (an ind. bottle) Jura 36 cask strength for dessert.

Trout

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ever have any Bowmore's? Its still peated, but less so with more barrel influences(sherry) showing through
Sorry, missed this. Yes, on nite 1 as my friend was trying to break me of my Islay phobia, he threw in a Bowmore.

Agree, not bad.

Trout

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I suspect some of you may not approve, after research I decided to try Kirklands 18 year sherry cask Scotch, single malt. My introduction to Scotch was Talisker 18 or 25 I don't remember, but it was really good. I kept hearing that Kirkland Scotch was excellent for the price, so I thought I would try it and I am amazed that for $55.00 it is well worth the price, in fact it is quite a bargain. The problem is it is not always available, so last time I was in Costco, there it was and I grabbed it.20180317_184524.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect some of you may not approve, after research I decided to try Kirklands 18 year sherry cask Scotch, single malt. My introduction to Scotch was Talisker 18 or 25 I don't remember, but it was really good. I kept hearing that Kirkland Scotch was excellent for the price, so I thought I would try it and I am amazed that for $55.00 it is well worth the price, in fact it is quite a bargain. The problem is it is not always available, so last time I was in Costco, there it was and I grabbed it.View attachment 111375
So Alexander Murray, a well respected independent bottler is bottling some undisclosed Speyside distillery’s 18 year old whisky...it’s going to be pretty darn good. But then I like Speysides.

Sláinte,
Trout

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
So Alexander Murray, a well respected independent bottler is bottling some undisclosed Speyside distillery’s 18 year old whisky...it’s going to be pretty darn good. But then I like Speysides.

Sláinte,
Trout

The crazy part is it is less than $100.00 a bottle!