What's new

Today's Scotch

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Had my first drams of Laphroaig 10 last night. 1st sips took some getting used to, now I know what a peated whiskey tastes like. Paired it with an EP Carrillo Core Line Maduro that was sitting in the humidor for a while. The earthiness of the cigar muted the peat a bit and made for a good pairing. Not sure I could drink the Laphroaig without smoking a full bodied, earthy cigar.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my first drams of Laphroaig 10 last night. 1st sips took some getting used to, now I know what a peated whiskey tastes like. Paired it with an EP Carrillo Core Line Maduro that was sitting in the humidor for a while. The earthiness of the cigar muted the peat a bit and made for a good pairing. Not sure I could drink the Laphroaig without smoking a full bodied, earthy cigar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Can you recommend something with a bit less peat under $60-$70?
It’s a tad over your mark but I picked up my first bottle of Glenfiddich Small Batch Reserve 18 for $80 and I just poured a dram. It noses some honey and fig with some floral and earthy notes. Honey continues in the tasting with hints of brown sugar, allspice and...is that ginger? The mouth feel is buttery and the finish is long, warm, tingly, and surprisingly dry considering the semisweet character. I’m a fan.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you recommend something with a bit less peat under $60-$70?
It would be hard to find something with a bit MORE peat.

But I suspect what you may be looking for is some smokiness but less medicinal.

If so, you may want to avoid Islay’s. Some say that the seaweed that decomposed in the Islay peat thousands of years ago gives that iodine tase.

So if you like smoky but not medicinal, look for a pleated scotch from another region.

You might enjoy Springbank 12, (Campbeltown, cask strength, which I prefer) or Scapa Glansa, (Island and a little more gentle) or if you are willing to stretch the budget just a bit more, the Balvenie 14 Peat Week, (Speyside) might work.

Enjoy exploring,
Trout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk