What's new

Today's Smoke (Meat Edition)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess most people call these country ribs, just sliced Pork Butt but they sure can be tasty, and cheap.

View attachment 182201

View attachment 182202

View attachment 182203
They are usually cheaper than Boston Butt Steaks or regular ribs around here. So, they are great if you need to make enough for five or six people.

I like to coat mine in garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, and oregano before searing them. Then sear, chop, and cook in pinto beans with jalapenos and poblano peppers chopped up. (Season the beans as well, of course.) When it is ready grab a few tortillas and enjoy.

They are definitely an overlooked meat choice.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
They are usually cheaper than Boston Butt Steaks or regular ribs around here. So, they are great if you need to make enough for five or six people.

I like to coat mine in garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, and oregano before searing them. Then sear, chop, and cook in pinto beans with jalapenos and poblano peppers chopped up. (Season the beans as well, of course.) When it is ready grab a few tortillas and enjoy.

They are definitely an overlooked meat choice.
Yea, so many options. After smoking try them in the crockpot with some kraut.

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
My wife bought me my first smoker for my Bday. Needless to say, I was super stoked.
She bought a couple prime ribs and I used two different binders and rubs. They turned out excellent aside of the Traeger probe and Meater(another gift I received) differing big time on temp which made them turn out medium well. The Meater turned out to be correct on temp. I'll be smoking a pork shoulder tomorrow. Any advise is very much appreciated.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My wife bought me my first smoker for my Bday. Needless to say, I was super stoked.
She bought a couple prime ribs and I used two different binders and rubs. They turned out excellent aside of the Traeger probe and Meater(another gift I received) differing big time on temp which made them turn out medium well. The Meater was turned out to be correct on temp. I'll be smoking a pork shoulder tomorrow. Any advise is very much appreciated.
View attachment 188351
View attachment 188352
View attachment 188353
Whoa!!! Nice!!

Can't give any advice on pork shoulder. Only done one and that was probably close to 20 years ago. I believe folks from @MikeNice 's neck of the woods are experts on such matters though!

highsierrasmokin'

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Whoa!!! Nice!!

Can't give any advice on pork shoulder. Only done one and that was probably close to 20 years ago. I believe folks from @MikeNice 's neck of the woods are experts on such matters though!
I was talking with @Capn_Jackson yesterday and he gave me a wealth of great info, but I love hearing everybody's tricks and tips.

Being that I'm in very humid conditions at times is it necessary to remove pellets after smoking???

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm sure I'm just repeating advice you already have but two different ITs for slicing and for pulling. 4 or 5 hours of smoke and then wrap with a bit of liquid like apple juice to finish. Meat only picks up smoke for the first couple of hours so you can move it to the oven for convience. I have a stick burner and the quicker out of the smoke the less work I have.

Don't fret the stall. Every pork butt does it and how long it takes to move past depends on something unknown to modern science. Keep your temps steady and be patient.

When you get within a couple of degrees of your final IT remove the wrapped pork butt from the smoker/oven and place in an ice chest with a couple of old bath towels to improve heat retention. IT will continue to rise once in the ice chest. The longer in the ice chest the better and more tender it will be.

If you are pulling the pork butt remove the visable chunks of fat. I like to make a finishing sauce of apple juice, cider vinegar and maybe some cajun spices like Toney's. The vinegar really cuts the fat and cleans the palate. Put the finishing sauce in a squeeze bottle and just use a couple of good splashes when you go to serve.

highsierrasmokin'

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'm sure I'm just repeating advice you already have but two different ITs for slicing and for pulling. 4 or 5 hours of smoke and then wrap with a bit of liquid like apple juice to finish. Meat only picks up smoke for the first couple of hours so you can move it to the oven for convience. I have a stick burner and the quicker out of the smoke the less work I have.

Don't fret the stall. Every pork butt does it and how long it takes to move past depends on something unknown to modern science. Keep your temps steady and be patient.

When you get within a couple of degrees of your final IT remove the wrapped pork butt from the smoker/oven and place in an ice chest with a couple of old bath towels to improve heat retention. IT will continue to rise once in the ice chest. The longer in the ice chest the better and more tender it will be.

If you are pulling the pork butt remove the visable chunks of fat. I like to make a finishing sauce of apple juice, cider vinegar and maybe some cajun spices like Toney's. The vinegar really cuts the fat and cleans the palate. Put the finishing sauce in a squeeze bottle and just use a couple of good splashes when you go to serve.
Thank you Al!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Another thing, if you start getting rust on the smoker, bacon grease. Get an old rag and just slather it on. Some people use mineral oils but I find bacon grease works pretty well and well, smell awesome when the smoker gets going. Only thing for rust spots on the fire box that I know of is high temp paint

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Another thing, if you start getting rust on the smoker, bacon grease. Get an old rag and just slather it on. Some people use mineral oils but I find bacon grease works pretty well and well, smell awesome when the smoker gets going. Only thing for rust spots on the fire box that I know of is high temp paint
This. I use Crisco but same logic. Firebox is gonna be an eternal fight against rust. Just clean out all the ash the next day, and keep everything covered and out of the rain.

highsierrasmokin'

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I smoked my first brisket last week for 12 hours. The traeger probe and meater took a crap halfway through. :mad:(n) Anyhoo, the top half was a bit tough but th flat bottom was decent.
Some of the outer nugs were very tasty though. Put the rest of it in the crock pot for 8 hours on low and made burritos with it. It moistened up very nicely.

highsierrasmokin'

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Brisket 2.0 yesterday. I did some things different. I wrapped it up when it reached 165 and put the mop juice inside.
Then let it get to 195 before I pulled it out. This piece was flat cut which I like much better.
Came out delish and moist when I cut it, but after sitting on the plate for a few minutes it dried up quick. I guess I need to cut it and put it back in it's juices???
Huge improvement from last time regardless. I cut off those end pieces first and ate them immediately. So F'ing tasty!!!

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Brisket 2.0 yesterday. I did some things different. I wrapped it up when it reached 165 and put the mop juice inside.
Then let it get to 195 before I pulled it out. This piece was flat cut which I like much better.
Came out delish and moist when I cut it, but after sitting on the plate for a few minutes it dried up quick. I guess I need to cut it and put it back in it's juices???
Huge improvement from last time regardless. I cut off those end pieces first and ate them immediately. So F'ing tasty!!!
View attachment 189650
View attachment 189651

If you have the spare time, can also try coolering it for a few hours. That is an old trick around here. Pull off the smoker, put in foil tray wrapped tightly in foil, then put in a cooler full of towels shut tightly for a few hours. Really helps with tenderness.

highsierrasmokin'

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
View attachment 189652

If you have the spare time, can also try coolering it for a few hours. That is an old trick around here. Pull off the smoker, put in foil tray wrapped tightly in foil, then put in a cooler full of towels shut tightly for a few hours. Really helps with tenderness.
I wanted to do that last night, and I thought I had one foil tray left, but not the case. I'll try it next time. I'm off to the store today to get foil trays and more aluminum foil.

BTW...Once the temp reached 195 I took it out and put it in the oven at 170 for an hour and a half. Next time I'll substitute that with the cooler method.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I wanted to do that last night, and I thought I had one foil tray left, but not the case. I'll try it next time. I'm off to the store today to get foil trays and more aluminum foil.
May as well try to get ahold of some beef cheeks while you're out. :D I'm sure they wouldn't mind hanging out with the brisket in the smoker for a few hours!

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I smoked my first brisket last week for 12 hours. The traeger probe and meater took a crap halfway through. :mad:(n) Anyhoo, the top half was a bit tough but th flat bottom was decent.
Some of the outer nugs were very tasty though. Put the rest of it in the crock pot for 8 hours on low and made burritos with it. It moistened up very nicely.
View attachment 189533
View attachment 189534
View attachment 189535
View attachment 189536
Man! Hate it when a probe dies in mid-smoke. It’s happened to me twice before, sadly.

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
View attachment 189650
View attachment 189651
I like to go to 203 internal temp. The “faux cambro” method in towels and a cooler works great! I used to do that for years and years. Finally just started keeping it in the oven at 170 or 175 to rest for a few hours. The faux cambro is better, but oven is easier haha.