What's new

Today's Smoke (Meat Edition)

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Is the third pic super rare meat? WICKED awesome grilling and pics!!!
Nope! You're seeing the smoke ring there. What happens is the first 1/4" or so of meat under under bark turns reddish due to a chemical reaction with the smoke. It looks blood red in the pic for some reason hehe.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Did you know that adding a touch of TenderQuick to your rub will give you a knock out smoke ring? Nitrous Oxide interacts with the myoglobin in the meat to give you the smoke ring. Wood smoke has the Nitrous Oxide in the smoke, so you get the smoke ring. Electric smokers / ovens do not produce the Nitrous compounds so a bit of cure will give you the a smoke ring, Also why meats cured with Cure #1 or Cure #2 are usually reddish.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Did you know that adding a touch of TenderQuick to your rub will give you a knock out smoke ring? Nitrous Oxide interacts with the myoglobin in the meat to give you the smoke ring. Wood smoke has the Nitrous Oxide in the smoke, so you get the smoke ring. Electric smokers / ovens do not produce the Nitrous compounds so a bit of cure will give you the a smoke ring, Also why meats cured with Cure #1 or Cure #2 are usually reddish.
Never heard of it but I'm up to try it!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You are using wood smoke so don't add that junk to perfectly good meat, not necessary. A lot of the guys that use (what we used to call Dino Fuel) electric smokers will use the cure so they can show pretty pictures on the Internet

Those cheeks are redder then Santa's on a cold day. Is that your camera or are they normally finished like that?

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You are using wood smoke so don't add that junk to perfectly good meat, not necessary. A lot of the guys that use (what we used to call Dino Fuel) electric smokers will use the cure so they can show pretty pictures on the Internet

Those cheeks are redder then Santa's on a cold day. Is that your camera or are they normally finished like that?
Oooh, ok cool. I'll avoid it then hehe. The cheeks were pretty damn red but it was more of a maroon. The camera made it look almost crayon/blood red. Usually I do get my best smoke rings on beef ribs/cheeks...but these were a lot more intense than usual. It's rarely visible if at all when I do pork ribs.

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0