What's new

Today's Wine

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Hey everyone. I know there's a Today's Drink (non beer) but I figured I would start a dedicated Wine thread so guys can post what they are drinking on the wine spectrum. I figured it can be another resource for those of us that are just starting to venture down this road (myself) and a place for those with more knowledge of wine to help everyone else along. I'll get us started on this one in the next post.

PS: Ignore this and or delete it if there's another dedicated Today's Wine thread.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Julienas from Pardon and Fils. This is from the Beaujolais region of France. It's my first from there. And really only like my third French wine. First ever Gamay grape wine. I understand this is an underrated region of France (that's what my wine guy tells me). Well let me say I'm all in. This is fruity, juicy, red berries juice forward. Enough balance. Light enough to be an everyday drinker. It's really really refreshing and really good. I'm all in on Beaujolais so far! Ha.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I do semi-often! just noticed this. Will be back next time I open a bottle!
I loved your description of the wine above. sounds mighty fine.
Awesome! In fairness I haven't had any since then either! Hopefully this picks up as I love the bourbon thread and thought this would be good too!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I drink wine but haven't had much of any lately. Which reminds me, when funds allow I need to hit the liquor store and pick up some more port wine. I drank through a bottle I picked up from a local vineyard pretty quickly.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Wife and I drink Moet champagne weekly(not now since she's preggo) but that's as far as we go into wine.

We have done some great wine tastings in California tho.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Beaujolais us not underrated.
it gets the attention it rates.
Gamay is for those who know no better.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Either way. Post what you are drinking and show us the way! I'm excited to see what people around here are drinking.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I totally disagree. The Gamay grape is excellent for wines that are meant to be enjoyed during the first 2 years or so of the harvest. The crop varies year to year and in some years the wine is just outstanding.....straightforward, jammy, fruity and just damn good. It's not meant to be Bordeaux or Burgundy. Glad you enjoyed it @phibby. One of the biggest days of the year in France is the release of the Beaujolais Nouveau. Some years just outstanding some just okay but an awaited day to be sure. I have been drinking wine for going on 5 decades and I would never be so arrogant as to pass up a good wine because some uninformed writers or "experts" might disagree. Just like everything else. Smoke what you like, drink what you like and how you want to drink it and the naysayers be damned.

Nacho Daddy

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Gamay is for those who know no better........

Said what I meant, meant what I said.
Spent years working in a large wine retailer and was forced to taste hundreds of wines.I can pick out Gamay in a French wine where it is not supposed to be,like some of the Minervois or Langedoc bottles we get in the US.
I too have 5 decades of enjoying wine, and yes I have my opinions, and my opinion is that Gamay is not my pick of grapes,and Beaujolais is not my pick of wines.
Beaujolais now costs what a good Italian red costs,or an Aussie red,or a Vin de Pays.
And there are lots of Beaujolais that are age worthy and will easily sail past 5 years,so don't let the Nouveau thing confuse you.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well you might want to consider @Nacho Daddy that no one said that it is the pick of all wines. @phibby just mentioned that he enjoyed the wine he had and you did mentioned that Gamay is for those that "know no better". A little condescending don't you think? It might have been unintentional but there is really no need. Just defending the general principle that everyone should drink what they like. To hell with the expert opinions. There certainly are times when I want a chilled Beaujolais instead of Chateau Leoville-Las Cases or Coppola's Rubicon from California. I am sure @phibby knows what he likes and I am pretty sure that he knows better than "no better".

Nacho Daddy

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
You see my having an opinion as condescending.
Is my opinion less valuable than yours?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Nope. Yours is just as valuable as mine or anyone elses for that matter. Opinions are just that...OPINIONS though I do think that they can be stated without putting someone's choice of wine down as not knowing any better. Like I said it could have been unintentional.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
OK gents! Easy easy! I just want to be able to track what BOTL is drinking on the wine spectrum! All opinions and thoughts are valid. Post up guys! I'd like to see this take off like the others.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0

Cheaper Bordeaux. I know little about wine and even less about French wine. I do know this is OK. That's about it. Decent complexity actually. But short finish and too much acidity hold it back. 3.5/5