What's new

Today's workout

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Just trying to get my fatness moving again.... Yesterday was pushers, tomorrow will be pullers

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
It’s Monday.
Gotta earn those sticks.
Then I have to find the time to smoke said sticks, which seems impossible this winter!

Warm up
5 mins stretching

The Work
A1. KB 1-arm press x 10
A2. KB goblet squat x 10
A3. V-grip pull-up x 8
x 10 rounds

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I will jump in here too. Its been about 13 years since I worked out (my second kid happens to be 13, easy way to remember) and its time to get back at it.
Both kids are interested and we picked up a power rack for the basement, now the whole neighborhood of adolescent males is interested...
Today I pulled out my sled and dragged it up and down the driveway 3 times, with a 45lb plate on it. My sled goal is to get up to 20 minutes of cardio. 3 laps was only 10 minutes, probably only 5 minutes pulling.

My weight training will be Iron Addicts Simple Power Based Routine. That worked wonders for me when I used it last so I hope to recoup some of that.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Today's exercise:
Squats 3 sets with 95 pounds
Glute/ Ham Raises (I don't have a set up for this, so I used a band). Red band, 3 sets of 10
Chest supported rows (again I don't have the equipment so I used a green band strapped to the power rack). Supposed to be 4 sets of 6. Still figuring out where I am so wound up with extra reps, 4 sets of 8.
Last item I did was some curls. 25lb dumbells, 3 sets of 8.

Who else hit the weights today?

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Off day as well.
I did Sun-Tuesday this week, then I’ll do Thrus-Sat or Sunday.
My current programming revolves around 3 programs:
-Wolf Brigade’s Training Days.
-Mitchell Strength
-Heavy bag
Once it warms up I’ll start running again.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I wasn't too proud of 95 lb squats, but later realized I weigh 60 pounds more than when I last worked out....that's like I'm starting with 155 lbs!
Of course that's nothing to be proud of either, but at least I know why the 95 lbs felt heavier....

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I wasn't too proud of 95 lb squats, but later realized I weigh 60 pounds more than when I last worked out....that's like I'm starting with 155 lbs!
Of course that's nothing to be proud of either, but at least I know why the 95 lbs felt heavier....
It’s nothing to be ashamed of either!
Getting back after it is what matters.

Last edited:

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
This morning was heavy bag work.
Warm up
Stretching

The Work
3:00 rounds
:30 sec rest
5 pull-ups immediately following each round
8 rounds

Round 1 - jabs only
Round 2 - lead hand uppercut, hook, shovel hook, etc followed by 2 more punches
Round 3 - begin each combo with power hand, followed by 2 more punches
Round 4 - combo work
Round 5 - close fighting, working on punching scenarios in tight situations.
Round 6 - punch and duck
Round 7 - all punches and combos off of footwork
Round 8 - endurance punching; throw combos and punches for 20 second, keep hands up and rest for 20, repeat.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
@Jim D , you're back at it, that's all that matters at this point. The strength will return. (y)

Thursday and Friday are my killer days currently. Thursday is back/chest supersets, rotating types of intensity each Thursday (high reps, heavier weights, lower rest times). Friday is leg day. Nuff said. :LOL:

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
@Jim D , you're back at it, that's all that matters at this point. The strength will return. (y)

Thursday and Friday are my killer days currently. Thursday is back/chest supersets, rotating types of intensity each Thursday (high reps, heavier weights, lower rest times). Friday is leg day. Nuff said. :LOL:
Good luck!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
This morning was heavy bag work.
Warm up
Stretching

The Work
3:00 rounds
:30 sec rest
5 pull-ups immediately following each round
8 rounds

Round 1 - jabs only
Round 2 - lead hand uppercut, hook, shovel hook, etc followed by 2 more punches
Round 3 - begin each combo with power hand, followed by 2 more punches
Round 4 - combo work
Round 5 - close fighting, working on punching scenarios in tight situations.
Round 6 - punch and duck
Round 7 - all punches and combos off of footwork
Round 8 - endurance punching; throw combos and punches for 20 second, keep hands up and rest for 20, repeat.
My shoulders are sore just thinking about all that!

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
My shoulders are sore just thinking about all that!
Mine used to be wrecked after training like this. Years of not tending to shoulder injuries will have that result.
I started swinging a steel mace and doing kb exercises to get some mobility back in my shoulders. It worked great!
Then I started taking casein protein at night to aid in recovery, collagen with my coffee, and turmeric in the morning as well.
It has made a huge difference!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
After years of whey proteins, I remember trying casein. I loved it. It was like a milkshake! Thick and tasty. But it also gave me headaches. Finally figured out my cottage cheese yogurt mix was giving me headaches too. I stopped drinking milk, stopped taking casein, stopped yogurt and cottage cheese and have been headache free since. Just ordered some whey protein and BCAAs to supplement my diet.

@Mr.Draned I've never supplemented with turmeric, what does it do?
My wife wants to know which collagen you use/recommend?

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
After years of whey proteins, I remember trying casein. I loved it. It was like a milkshake! Thick and tasty. But it also gave me headaches. Finally figured out my cottage cheese yogurt mix was giving me headaches too. I stopped drinking milk, stopped taking casein, stopped yogurt and cottage cheese and have been headache free since. Just ordered some whey protein and BCAAs to supplement my diet.

@Mr.Draned I've never supplemented with turmeric, what does it do?
My wife wants to know which collagen you use/recommend?
It’s good to hear you figured out what was causing those headaches!
Nice work using whey and bcaa’s.

I take turmeric capsules post workout and before bed on hard training days.
It aids with inflammation, and may also be linked to helping prevent cancer.
My shoulders being messed up like they are seem to benefit.
Win win there!
Nature’s Bounty is the brand I purchase.
The brand of collagen I use is Bub’s Collagen.
They have really good reviews, their product is high quality, and I save by subscribing to my order and also applying my military discount.
The container says take 2 scoops a day, but 1 seems to be working for me!

If you ever have any other questions, let me know!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Thank you @Mr.Draned , we will look those up.

Today was sled dragging day for me. Did 3 laps of the driveway, 1 minute pulling with about1 minute walking in between. 45lbs on the sled. Per my phone, my heart rate was 124 bpm after the first pull, 134 bpm after the second, and 142 bpm after the third.
Felt good overall and seemed to help remove some of the soreness setting in from yesterday's squats...
Took the pooch for a stroll afterwards, which was easy after pulling that sled!

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Thank you @Mr.Draned , we will look those up.

Today was sled dragging day for me. Did 3 laps of the driveway, 1 minute pulling with about1 minute walking in between. 45lbs on the sled. Per my phone, my heart rate was 124 bpm after the first pull, 134 bpm after the second, and 142 bpm after the third.
Felt good overall and seemed to help remove some of the soreness setting in from yesterday's squats...
Took the pooch for a stroll afterwards, which was easy after pulling that sled!
Sled drags are no joke, especially after squats the day before!
Sounds like a good morning, dog walk included.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I'm mostly a whey protein guy, Optimum Nutrition (usually Rocky Road), but do like the 5 protein blend Muscle Pharm Combat. Unfortunately I don't imagine you can use the Combat as casein is one of he proteins @Jim D .

@Mr.Draned , I tried starting turmeric twice (2 different brands), and started developing kidney stones within a couple days. Needless to say I don't use that, though I wish I could with all my shoulder inflammation.

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I'm mostly a whey protein guy, Optimum Nutrition (usually Rocky Road), but do like the 5 protein blend Muscle Pharm Combat. Unfortunately I don't imagine you can use the Combat as casein is one of he proteins @Jim D .

@Mr.Draned , I tried starting turmeric twice (2 different brands), and started developing kidney stones within a couple days. Needless to say I don't use that, though I wish I could with all my shoulder inflammation.
Holy cow! I’m glad you figured it out and stopped, as that must have been painful.
I’m a big fan of Optimum Nutrition as well, but need to switch up the flavor.
I’m hitting that point where I don’t want to drink a shake post-training because I’m burnt out on the flavor. Rocky Road...that sounds delicious!