What's new

What Coffees Are You Drinking?

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
You can send me some of your Kona or other various expensive coffees whenever you want!:stretchgr

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So what exactly is peaberry and how does it differ from the regular beans?

roughly only 3% of the beans are considered peaberry cherries hold just one small oval-shaped bean instead of two flat-sided beans. These small oval beans are called "peaberry" beans. They have a more intense flavor...Some coffee afficianados...consider this the Dom Perignon or Cristal of Coffee.... I like the flavor..I have my guy roast them DARK...instead of medium....you cannot make a bad cup o'joe with peaberry... even if you overdo the beans...the flavor holds up ...

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I am a coffee "snob" I only drink 100% Kona Peaberry.... I have a small plantation on Kona that only gets about 25 to 30 lbs of true peaberry beans per year. I buy all of it. As it ripens... he roasts them and sends to me...

I am a huge fan of original Jamaica Blue Mountain. I have it shipped ..fresh roasted...to my door..about maybe 10 lbs a year.

I was also fortunate enough to hookup with some TRUE Kopi Luwac....after being scammed on some imitation crap...<~no pun intended... I actually had the Civet coffee shipped in..and had it roasted locally...that way I knew it was true civet coffee....the balance of this coffee..is quite unique... has some "unusual" characteristics not found in other coffees I've drank <cough> ... but it drinks well.... not sure it's worth $600 a pound.. my Kona for $30 is WAY more appealing...but hey...been there...done that....got the Teeshirt.... <~and yeah..i got the teeshirt... HA!...

I prefer to use a french press...only use a burr grinder to grind my beans...never order preground coffee... and demand my coffee come directly from the grower....

I know..I know..I'm a self centered pretentious Ahole...but hey...I told you at the beginnning of this ..I was a "Coffee Snob"
Hey, everybody has to like something. True Kona is unbelieveable. Hard to find.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
so would it be reasonable to assume that the majority of peaberry coffee that i've had in the past was, in fact, not the real stuff?

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Many different peaberries. Kona usually is sold as a blend where they wave the kona beans over the bag and say it is kona.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
All coffee varietals have peaberry beans....it's just that nature decides which ones have like two pods instead of one.... it's a pain in the neck for the growers to seperate these...there are so few beans..but the GOOD growers will..and roast them seperately when they get enough to roast. Some growers in Hawaii..only get maybe 2 to 3 lbs per year..and they keep those for themselves...I had to find a mid level farmer that I befriended...and sent a box of Anejo's to...along with a signature bottle of George D'Latour... took me like 3 years to recoup that cost LOL

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Even my local Starbucks...doesn't get TRUE peaberry..or even Kona for that matter. CWS is 100% right on...READ THE LABEL... usually will say "blend".... that means less than 10% kona beans....

I guarantee my beans are 100% real kona....

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
All coffee varietals have peaberry beans....it's just that nature decides which ones have like two pods instead of one.... it's a pain in the neck for the growers to seperate these...there are so few beans..but the GOOD growers will..and roast them seperately when they get enough to roast. Some growers in Hawaii..only get maybe 2 to 3 lbs per year..and they keep those for themselves...I had to find a mid level farmer that I befriended...and sent a box of Anejo's to...along with a signature bottle of George D'Latour... took me like 3 years to recoup that cost LOL
Awesome. I keep looking for the pure stuff. Tried a number of sites but luck was limited and product was spotty at best. Good job.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
At home I've been drinking Mexican Chiapas by Higher Ground Roasters. In the office it's good ol' Eight O'Clock 100% Colombian (dark brown bag). Love em both!

Check this out: www.highergroundroasters.com

Great organic fair-trade coffees, and my brother did their website.

Adios,

tim

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
For me this morning it was a medium blend from Misty Valley Ethiopia. Tastes like blueberries!
So my families business is coffee roasting. If you want great coffee, find a local artisan roaster that specializes in single origin, free trade organic coffee (these will be the Pete Johnson's of the coffee world) and you should not be disappointed. Most will have "cuppings" once a week or month, and this is an opportunity to come in and taste and learn about their roasting techniques.

Bowhnter

Backyard Smoker
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wow, so much to know about coffee!

This morning I am having French Market coffee and chickory.

I am normally a Folgers / Maxwell house guy. Sometimes some 8 o'clock

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Kojak - that sounds amazing!

I LOVE my coffee, but have yet to ascend to the levels of snobbery you've acheived. If you ever want to set up a 'lil' trade, let me know!

Until then, I'll stick with my Killer Beans, Black Dog & Peets.

Now, excuse me - I need to go brew.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Even my local Starbucks...doesn't get TRUE peaberry..or even Kona for that matter. CWS is 100% right on...READ THE LABEL... usually will say "blend".... that means less than 10% kona beans....

I guarantee my beans are 100% real kona....
I got my bag of Kona from Kojak, I can not wait to give it a try this weekend!!:blob: