What's new

What Coffees Are You Drinking?

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
That's the 3 whole wedge cone correct? What's the ml/sec your getting from it?
Kalita Wave. It's the one with the flat bottom and three small holes to drip through. I got the stainless one, a real beauty! It's premise is that, with the flat bottom, it creates a more even extraction. The filters are also wavy, like the old-school coffeemaker machines. It really works well. The recipe I'm going with is as follows:

26g coffee, ground at 4 of 12.
208º water. Pour 65g water in 15 seconds in a spiral that begins in the center, moves outwards, and then back in. Let bloom for 45 seconds.
At the 1:00 mark, perform another 15 second 65g pour, 130g total. Let sit for 15 seconds.
At the 1:30 mark, repeat pour, 195g total.
At 2:00, repeat, 260g total.
At 2:30, repeat, 325g total.
At 3:00, repeat, 390g total. Brew finishes at 4:00.

So basically it's pour for 15, let sit for 15, pour for 15 etc. I enjoy the process.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Kalita Wave. It's the one with the flat bottom and three small holes to drip through. I got the stainless one, a real beauty! It's premise is that, with the flat bottom, it creates a more even extraction. The filters are also wavy, like the old-school coffeemaker machines. It really works well. The recipe I'm going with is as follows:

208º water. Pour 65g water in 15 seconds in a spiral that begins in the center, moves outwards, and then back in. Let bloom for 45 seconds.
At the 1:00 mark, perform another 15 second 65g pour, 130g total. Let sit for 15 seconds.

So basically it's pour for 15, let sit for 15, pour for 15 etc. I enjoy the process.
Nice so you're about 4.3 ml/sec on the extraction is that ratio for a fresh light roast? Do you notice it as hard to maintain a good bedding as a v60? I got a bonavita which is very similar but only has one small hole in the bottom, smooth filters but ridges in brewer.

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

What in the unholy ghost of folgers are you talking about?

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Nice so you're about 4.3 ml/sec on the extraction is that ratio for a fresh light roast? Do you notice it as hard to maintain a good bedding as a v60? I got a bonavita which is very similar but only has one small hole in the bottom, smooth filters but ridges in brewer.
Yeah my roasts are about as fresh as they get these days lol. I'm not exactly sure what you mean with the bedding? I've also never considered having an extraction rate in terms of ml/sec, that's an interesting idea. How do you measure that? I just measure by "I want this much water (weight, not volume) and I want it to finish at this time". Not quite as scientific.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
By even bedding I mean while the coffee is saturated it forms kind of an even "surface" I call it a bedding because I picture it as a bed of coffee over the filter. By uneven I mean as the water flows out, instead of evenly distributing itself along the outside perimeter of the filter sometimes I've noticed if I pour uneven or the filter / brewer isn't true it'll tend to flow from one area and gather in one spot more. This also leads to under extraction and over. I've found that some darker roast really really shine being coarser ground and having a super low extraction rate... like 1.5 ml/sec. Ooo also a little tip. 1ml=1mg yes its volume and density but that's why specific gravity is based on water. Convenient.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I'll YouTube it lol. I know you are talking about coffee, but good lord that is a hell of a process for a cup of joe lol
I know it seems like a lot, particularly compared to a K-cup or Mr. Coffee or something, but it's really not a big deal. Takes four minutes. That's less effort than traveling to the local coffeeshop, and my coffee is better and cheaper. Most importantly, it's enjoyable for me.

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I know it seems like a lot, particularly compared to a K-cup or Mr. Coffee or something, but it's really not a big deal. Takes four minutes. That's less effort than traveling to the local coffeeshop, and my coffee is better and cheaper. Most importantly, it's enjoyable for me.
I'm sure it is absolutely delicious lol. I also imagine the process is quite enjoyable, just lot more work than I like to do for coffee lol