What's new

What's going on in your golf game?

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I figured we've derailed the golf purchases and new irons thread enough that it would warrant a new thread. So, what is going on in your game right now? There seems to be enough golfers here, I thought we could have a support group of sorts.
I've been playing going on six years now. Never took a lesson until last month, and now I have to unlearn all my bad habits. Like most amateurs, I have an outside-in, or baseball swing, fades and slices have been a way of life for me. Instructor changed my grip and started me on some drills to turn the club over more. The outside-in is still there, but the balls are flying straighter than ever before with the short irons. Played 9 today, and on #7, my second shot was 147 to the pin.( pin in center of green) I line up as usual, to the right edge of the green to compensate for the fade ( southpaw), and low and behold, I hit the first ever draw in a game. Wound up 20 yds right of green, pin high. I can't really get angry for a shot like that. I was pretty stoked actually. For the rest of the round, I couldn't line up correctly to save my life not knowing what shot shape I was about to make.
For the record, I shot a 46 on a par 35, which I pretty average for me. I usually hang out in the low 90's for 18. The good part is that I shot 3 pars, with two chances at birdie. Hit one OB, and had two other doubles. What is everyone else's goals this year? Mine is to have a sound swing by the fall.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
My problem is I suck

I can't string more than two good shots in a row

I feel it is all mental at this point because I can go to the range and hit clean over and over but on the course I'm thinking about all sorts of shit

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
My goal is the same as a last year: Have enough golf balls to finish the round. Usually bring about 8 or so with me. HAHA!

Honestly, my goal is just to play more this year. I only got twice last year. The April cold snap isn't helping at all...

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
My problem is I suck

I can't string more than two good shots in a row

I feel it is all mental at this point because I can go to the range and hit clean over and over but on the course I'm thinking about all sorts of shit
Me too. I've got a book that deals with the mental aspect of the game. I highly recommend it. Do you have a nook or nook app on your phone?

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I started two years ago and try to play as often as I can.

Took a couple of lessons and they helped a little bit but found that playing in sweeps or competition type stuff helps me much better. Drive okay, putt well, irons needs consistency.

Goal is shaving 4-6 from my 20 handicap.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I've been stuck at this handicap since I started. (20). I've shot as low as 84 and as high as 118 last year. Like Ryan, consistency is severely lacking in my game
no handicap first year. 26 or 30 last year. 20 now. If I don't go out of bounds off the tee, I should be able to do that.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
My goal is the same as a last year: Have enough golf balls to finish the round. Usually bring about 8 or so with me. HAHA!

Honestly, my goal is just to play more this year. I only got twice last year. The April cold snap isn't helping at all...
You northern brothers have it bad when it comes to the weather. We were playing in late February, early March with only one or two snow flurries in between. We can get 6 inches of snow one day, and it be 60* two days later at that time of year. I've honestly played at least 15 games already. We've also already hit 90* too

Now we're in the middle of Tornado season. That's how it goes living in tornado alley

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
You northern brothers have it bad when it comes to the weather. We were playing in late February, early March with only one or two snow flurries in between. We can get 6 inches of snow one day, and it be 60* two days later at that time of year. I've honestly played at least 15 games already. We've also already hit 90* too

Now we're in the middle of Tornado season. That's how it goes living in tornado alley
got in a round yesterday and aiming for 100 this year. Probably won't make it but good to have goals.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Got new clubs this year and have only been to the range once. I would like to be able to golf more this year than the half dozen times I got last year.
As chef said I just suck. Thats all there is to it. I go to have fun and the more I drink or the stronger the cigar the better I feel about how bad I am doing.
I can out drive a lot of people with my 9 iron but every other club sucks when I am on the course. Practice greens I can sink puts all day long. But on the course its a miss by an inch and over by feet.
Why do we play such a messed up game?

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I started 3 years ago and had only played twice before that. Since then I have played over a hundred rounds each year. The most was 2 years ago @ 126. Never had a lesson and my handicap is around 19. This year I have played around 20 so far and I am really concentrating on getting my hands turned over. Would love to be around 15 and I can definitely get there if I just eliminate the 1 or two bad holes a round. Lots of par and bogies with an 8 thrown in because of a poor decision followed by another poor decision.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My goal is to just get out there! :) I haven't been in close to a year.. I have a 4 year old and haven't been able to get out... I'm going to take him this year for the first time.. On the hunt for some little clubs if any of you have a set laying around hit me up.. On the other hand. Here are the old dusty clubs.. Put together a new set about 5 or 6 years ago, still not any better than the old Knights. Lol.

It's all for Fun! Get out there and hit um!

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I play about once a week. Twice if I can swing it. (Har har) I shot an 86 last night with 2 birdies and 3 pars which is about the best round I've put out in the last year. Typically I'm in the mid 90s. It helps that I have co-workers and a wife that enjoy playing so that makes it easier to find an excuse to play. I play with a really old garage sale set of clubs but I figure I'm not good enough to upgrade.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
My goal is to just get out there! :) I haven't been in close to a year.. I have a 4 year old and haven't been able to get out... I'm going to take him this year for the first time.. On the hunt for some little clubs if any of you have a set laying around hit me up.. On the other hand. Here are the old dusty clubs.. Put together a new set about 5 or 6 years ago, still not any better than the old Knights. Lol.

It's all for Fun! Get out there and hit um!
Let me see if my daughter is ever gonna play again. I bought her a set of clubs two years ago, and they were used twice. Might be a tad big for yours right now, but they grow fast. I'll let you know