What's new

What's the next hot brand?

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I have bought Caldwell, Warped, and some Crowned Heads lately. So outside of the usual brands I tend to purchase I suppose those are the brands that have my interest at the moment.
All three put out some quality rolled cigars. The only Cubanacan I want to try is the HR but haven't had the opportunity to find any yet.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I'm in the same boat with you guys on the brands. Roma Craft and is putting out killer stuff, but the brand that seems to be on more peoples' lips is Crowned Heads. I think one of the telling things is that more of the larger retailers (CI, JR and Famous) are stocking them and they're seemingly selling well.

This.

I LOVE the work Caldwell is doing, just wonderful cigars. RoMa Craft too, Skip and those boys really are doing some nice work. Haven't tried the Warped offerings yet, but Kyle seems like a great guy with a lot of design passion. Illusione and Room101 have been around for a bit and have their fan bases, But no one else is generating the buzz that Crowned Heads is generating right now, at least in my observation (for whatever that's worth).

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I'm biased, but I'd have to say Warped as well. Having a behind the scenes look at what Kyle does and how much passion he puts into every detail really impresses me. And obviously his cigars are really freaking good.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
BOTL - Just wanted to 'drop-in' and say thanks for the mentions....not sure that we wanna be "hot" or "trending"--my intention is to build upon what we've done to this point and be around this business for a good long while.

I'd rather be focused on ending up in the 'Rock n Roll HOF' down the road as opposed to being a 'one-hit-wonder,' if that makes any sense.

Anyway....I'm gonna throw my vote in here on this thread for WARPED. I'm a fanboy. Fell in deep love with La Colmena, and Kyle's attention to detail is unsurpassed, IHMO.

Runner-Up: Rocky Patel (watch out for this brand...I hear they're coming up).

Cheers.

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads

Stogie_Bear

Chulo Savage
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Anyway....I'm gonna throw my vote in here on this thread for WARPED. I'm a fanboy. Fell in deep love with La Colmena, and Kyle's attention to detail is unsurpassed, IHMO.
Class act, Mr. Huber.

Who is Rocky Patel? Never heard of them...

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Maybe I'm out of touch with what the rest of the world thinks but Crowned Heads has been the the hot brand for a couple/few years now from what I see on BOTL, in my humidor, and in the shelf space dedicated to CH at every B&M I visit.

To answer the question, I have no idea what the next hyped or overhyped brand will be. I'll throw out my favorite mom and pop shop called Serafin De Cuba. They're tiny and mostly for tourists in Florida but I love their stuff.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
BOTL - Just wanted to 'drop-in' and say thanks for the mentions....not sure that we wanna be "hot" or "trending"--my intention is to build upon what we've done to this point and be around this business for a good long while.

I'd rather be focused on ending up in the 'Rock n Roll HOF' down the road as opposed to being a 'one-hit-wonder,' if that makes any sense.

Cheers.

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads
I think you have to be hot and trending while you're on the road to the HOF, but that's just my opinion, Jon.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have bought Caldwell, Warped, and some Crowned Heads lately. So outside of the usual brands I tend to purchase I suppose those are the brands that have my interest at the moment.
All three put out some quality rolled cigars. The only Cubanacan I want to try is the HR but haven't had the opportunity to find any yet.
I didn't check their site to see if it's listed, but walking smallbatch's humidor, they are not in short supply of the HR's. They are marked between $20-$28 a stick, however.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1

Cheers.

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads
Wow....Vety classy that a top cigar maker would give praise to his competition. That doesn't happen often at all in the cigar industry.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
This thread should be renamed what's the next brand to reach Gurkha Status, because they are the benchmark, the staple, the god of cigars, this is true because I read it on the internet, not to mention obviously stated by their MSRP.

Anyway to reiterate what a lot of people said, I am Looking at Roma and Caldwell to do somthing great this year. In the end I think Warped will take the biggest leap foward. I really haven't explored their line much (as of yet) but I will say the El Oso lance is quickly becoming one of my favorite in the vitola. Their combination of great blending, effort in creating an aesthetically pleasing product, and overall appreciation of cigar culture, I believe, will bring them to the forefront. As far as Crowned Heads, their there, and will continue to be.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I've pondering over this the last few days and really having a hard time with coming up with the "next big brand", are we talking to all cigar smokers or to the crowd of cigar geeks here like us?

While most here will say that Tatuaje and Liga Privada are global sensations and huge brands now, they aren't as big a mover to the average Joe walking in off the street, he could care less about a fire-cured-feral-flying-dirty-ratzilla-drumstick-reserva. While we appreciate those types of releases, I think the majority of cigar smokers don't really concern themselves with that.

The ground rules were set by Pete and a lot of people followed suit and are now able to find there niche in a market with plenty of room for manufacturers. It is really funny how quickly the shelf life for a brand can fade these days, you look at how many brands the big boys kill each year and come out with the next to satisfy the "what's new" mentality that seems to be gaining momentum. Personally, I like all the options, but also am concerned about the constant flooding of new products to the market. It makes me wonder how much longevity some of the guys mentioned in this thread will have if they have to constantly put out new stuff to sustain, especially if they don't own or aren't that connected to a factory.

When I first joined I was all about the chase for the latest and greatest, but over time it wore on me and my preference became more about what I could smoke without having to jump through a bunch of hoops to get. I still like to try the limited stuff, but only if it's easy to come across. At IPCPR, I talked to a guy who's stuff was 100% limited edition, 1 and done stuff.... I had no desire to even try it simply because if I did like it, I'd never be able to smoke any of the stuff down the road on a regular basis. Maybe that works for him, I don't know?!?

So, with all that said (sorry for the long winded response :) ), my personal favorite of recent has been RoMa Craft, I just like Skip's cigars and his passion. I think what makes a lot of these brands so well sought after is the people behind them. They aren't necessarily 3rd or 4th generation tobacco guys, but seem to have those people close enough to get the right cigars made. Guys like JD, Pete, Huber, Skip, Kyle, etc... seem to have a good connection to the guys who smoke their stuff on a sort of personal level that really help build their brands.