What's new

Which cigar sent you down the slippery slope

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
I saw this thread on another forum and like it so much I thought I'd copy it. So which one was it for you?

For me there were two. One was the La Gloria Cubana Wavell Maduro, back before Ernesto sold his ownership of the brand. I had one and it was marvelous. The shop guy at the local mall cigar store told me hold your shorts this is going to be strong for you but it's fantastic and it was. The next was the Don Carlos #3,my childhood buddy and me went to downtown Chicago back when it was treat to go and not a headache, that was quite a few years ago. The shop guy told me spend the extra dough and I think you'll love this. At the time it was $8 for the stick(downtown prices) and was $5-$6 dollars more than I'd normally spend on a weekend cigar. Well it was fantastic, that was the first time I remember identifying a note in a cigar....leather. Ever since than, I've fell in love with cigars and always love a stogie with a nice leather note. Unfortunately, LGC is no where near what I remember and the #3 no longer has for me that great leather tone. Now cigars for me are much more of an interest and love my daily moments with cigars and my BoTL.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
A Rocky Patel "Edge". Before that I just bought the usuall chit out there and was only an occasional smoker. That cigar triggered what I was really missing and now my game has really improved along with my passion.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
For me I'm not sure if it was necessarily one particular cigar, but more being introduced to the BOTL that sent me sliding :grin:. If I had to pick one cigar though it would be the Padron 2000 maduro. That was the first cigar that really impressed upon me what a cigar could be.

Dan

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I started out in Iraq smoking Acids and never tried anything else very much. I had some other smokes that I tried but just wanted the infused stuff at the time. Well, fast forward about a year or two, and back state-side. I had two 100 cap humis in Iraq and brought them home, but I wasn't really smoking cigars any more because I was staying with my in-laws (relocated and had to work minimum wage job till I could find something better) who I didn't know very well at the time, so I didn't want to impose. Unfortunately, I let the humis sit for a long time and a lot of cigars got mold on them. I salvaged a couple and took them to work to smoke on a lunch break.

Cutting to the chase: I smoked a 601 Green and LOVED it! I heard guys talking about spicy smokes in Iraq and I wasn't into the whole idea. Well, I smoked the 601 and I thought "so this is what a spicy smoke tastes like... I LOVE IT!" I then had an Ashton cigar and, being the naive newb I was, though "look at the boring band on this, it's probably a cheap smoke" but I smoked it anyway and I really enjoyed it! (keep in mind, I didn't appreciate nice full-bodied smokes at the time) Well, that really motivated me to explore cigars and learn to appreciate it. My birthday was soon approaching and I purchased a 5er of my then-favorite smoke: the Felipe Power. I still really enjoy them because they're a more mild-medium smoke (even though they're labeled med-full) but they're full of flavor IMO.

Making a long story longer, I started searching the internet for more information on cigars and found BOTL. I lurked for a while and wasn't at all familiar with vBulletin format, so I wasn't too comfortable and wrote it off. I later came back and was looking through it some more and started getting involved, and I've found two favorite pass-times: discussing/experiencing cigars and enjoying quality conversations with some of my best friends!

bradb

Brown Label Crew
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tatuaje Havana Angeles. First time I ever experienced pepper. I have almost finished my second box. Thanks a lot pete:sarcastic

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
The slippery slope was paved with HTF and Rare cigars that I never planned on smoking...
That did it for me. Collecting!!
The cigar that I could smoke all day and all night non stop, would be the Cojonu03

Rating - 100%
62   0   1
I think what really sent me sliding wasn't just a cigar, but the herfs that I attended/performed for in Baghdad at the Victory Cigar Club. That said, if I had to choose a stick, it would probably be the Padron 1964 maddie I was gifted by the secretary of the club. Tats and Illusiones are currently shoving me down the slope at a rapid rate.

klipsch

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I blame Famous for sending me a box of Noella Reserva's by mistake (I did call them to make em aware and asked how they wanted to handle it. I was told to keep em... :))

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
For me, it was the first REAL cigar I bought, not at a gas station! It was a AF Hemi SS. After I smoked that, and my buddy said "yeah, they're good, but wait until you try...". That's when I knew I had to buy a humidor.

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I used to smoke cigars off and on, and at the time was a cigarette smoker. I messed around with padrons, some cohibas and whatever else an old friend would give me at poker games. I would occasionally buy a stick here and there when I knew we had a poker game or a special hunting trip planned.

One day around 1997 or so I splurged a bit over what I was used to paying and picked up a Padron 1964 Anni Principe maduro. I was blown away by the flavor and never looked back. I still recall how creamy the flavor was and how much more complex than what I had been smoking. I started smoking a lot more sticks after that and I quit smoking ciggs back in 2000.

The rest as they say is history...

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
My first, first cigar was a Griffin back in college, roommate and I smoked them to look cool. LOL
The one that got me truly interested was the Onyx Maduro.