What's new

Wine Cooler 101

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Just called avanti and no replacement parts are avail. for this unit... Looks like I am out of luck/

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Just called avanti and no replacement parts are avail. for this unit... Looks like I am out of luck/
you should look into canceling your drawers if you can, if they are not done yet... Cause if you end up with a different unit they will not fit...

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
you should look into canceling your drawers if you can, if they are not done yet... Cause if you end up with a different unit they will not fit...

Nice advice but the trays came in last week :agreesmil

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't despair Justin - it's just gonna take a little more work on your part. You've already gotten the bad news that Avanti doesn't appear to support their product. The good news is that the Peltier unit was more than likely a component that Avanti purchased and just incorporated into their design. The good new here is if they bought it - so can you. Your going to need to remove the heat exchanger unit from the back of your unit. More than likely this is like a finned aluminum heat sink. Attached to this or somewhere in the immediate area should be a component that looks something like a flattened tea bag with two wires coming out of it. Clip the wires and remove the Peltier. There should be some numbers on the pelitier that can be decoded by your local supplier of small appliance parts. Even if there are no serial numbers on the unit - a knowledgeable parts man should be able to hook you up with a suitable replacement. Suggestion - if there are no numbers on the unit - take it into the parts store in person so they can see what you've got
Solder the new unit in place and you should be good to go.

Good Luck-

Last edited:

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Don't despair Justin - it's just gonna take a little more work on your part. You've already gotten the bad news that Avanti doesn't appear to support their product. The good news is that the Peltier unit was more than likely a component that Avanti purchased and just incorporated into their design. The good new here is if they bought it - so can you. Your going to need to remove the heat exchanger unit from the back of your unit. More than likely this is like a finned aluminum heat sink. Attached to this or somewhere in the immediate area should be a component that looks something like a flattened tea bag with two wires coming out of it. Clip the wires and remove the Peltier. There should be some numbers on the pelitier that can be decoded by your local supplier of small appliance parts. Even if there are no serial numbers on the unit - a knowledgeable parts man should be able to hook you up with a suitable replacement. Suggestion - if there are no numbers on the unit - take it into the parts store in person so they can see what you've got
Solder the new unit in place and you should be good to go.

Good Luck-

Yep, they are on ebay.

Like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/5x-TEC1-12706-91-2W-TEC-Thermoelectric-Cooler-Peltier-/150435633277?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2306a9987d

as noted, you will need to find the right one.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
This is good info that should be incorporated into Justin's original thread just for reference purposes.
Maybe we can get this merged, thanks for the help thus far. I will take the unit apart tonight :yes:

jjon90

CRA Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
If it is the same cooler pictured in your thread Coolers 101, I bet you could order the part from Edgestar or Vinotemp because it looks exactly like my Edgestar inside.
It's not uncommon for a single manufacturer to put several name brands on identical product only changing external appearances to make it different.

Please take pics to help us for future repairs.
Thanks!

Last edited:

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
If it is the same cooler pictured in your thread Coolers 101, I bet you could order the part from Edgestar or Vinotemp because it looks exactly like my Edgestar inside.
It's not uncommon for a single manufacturer to put several name brands on identical product only changing external appearances to make it different.

Please take pics to help us for future repairs.
Thanks!

I will take pics of everything and post it in a repair section lol. I need the pics for myself to make sure it goes together right lol!

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
This thing was a bit tougher to get out than I thought it would be. I took a bunch of pics of the dismantling of the unit. The numbers on the Peltier are: TEC1-12706 JO2008/10G I will be searching for one of these but if anyone comes across one before I do let me know. Everything in the board looked well soldered so I would assume that this must be the source of the problem.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Justin-

Very much looking forward to seeing your pics. The numbers after the generic part number are probably some manufacturers code and will not likely provide any useful info. You would probably need to see a detailed electrical schematic to determine the wattage spec. - I don't think that would be available from Avanti. If the wattage draw is analogous to a light bulb - the more current the Peltier draws the greater the temperature differential. In other words the higher wattage Peltier would cool an enclosed space faster. Given no other info - if it were me I probably would opt for the 60W unit. It would draw less power and the cooling would be more gradual - I'm thinking that would be better for your contents.
In any event - maybe a degreed EE would like to chime in here.
Further - you may still want to find a local supplier - some of those EBay delivery times seem rather long. Keep us up to date

Good Luck-

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
for 7 bux, free shipping and the seller being in california, seems like the way to go!!

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
For those that may be in the same boat that I am in, I ordered a new peltier (and a back up :thumbsup:) from this site:
http://www.customthermoelectric.com/
They have an engineering department that you can call and give them the numbers on the peltier and they will tell you exactly which one to buy. They are a bit more expensive but the customer service is great, same day priority shipping also.
When there units come in I will do the install and feel comfortable calling them back to ask questions.
There is some great information on that site also.

The one I got ended up being 51.4W, ebay doesnt sell anything like it, I am sure you can buy similar but these guys really knew what they were talking about.

jjon90

CRA Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Justin,
This is excellent info! I'm sure we will all be in the same boat someday. Can't wait to see the pics! Good luck with the install and take good notes!:help:

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Thanks for taking the time to document this project Justin. I am hopeful that I won't need to go through this but at least I'll have some idea of what to do if mine breaks.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I know I promised pics over the weekend but I was apparently missing a key ingredient... You need some thermal grease to adhere the peltier to the heat sink. I didnt have any (actually I had no idea what it was) so I had to place an order at newegg.... I think it will be in tomorrow or wed. so I can get back to putting it together.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Thermal grease is arriving today so hopefully if all goes well this will be back up and running tonight! :thumbsup: