What's new

2014 BOTL Pipe of the Year

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
chief, I haven't ever hit you. i kinda HAD to ask! o)

still, flipping stellar work, and huge ups to EVERYONE: from making the briar, organizing the thread and votes, keeping things on focus, and cheering them on, for a "first@ this entire process has just run more smoothly than i ever dared to hope.

viva la BotL, and happy piping!
Wait we can hit the chief?

Without getting "ban hammered" as you call it

How bout gifting a turn?

Another ban "hammering" I suppose

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
alrighty, let's not all pile on E. i just kinda got carried away. o)

more pix guys! maybe a test drive review of the pipe? help out those of us who are waiting, or missed out.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Crappy cell phone pics, but here's what I've got so far...

As far as test drive impressions, I am not as seasoned a piper as many of you but I'll give it a go. I mentioned a little in the daily bowl thread already but I'll reiterate here. The draw is about as effortless as I could imagine. The taper inside the stem really seems to be making a difference. It's also incredibly comfortable both to hold and clench, but with the stem as thin as it gets I wouldn't clench it without a softee/pipe saver. It's not that I think it would suffer from bite through unless you played Jaws in James Bond, but the angles on the sides are almost sharp and I would hate to have chatter marks on such a beautiful pipe. The shaping around the rim is also a great feature and I think someone would have to be rushed or intoxicated to char it. The fit at the mortise is like a bank vault. Even with the taper on the bowl it doesn't heat up nearly as much as my other pipes. I don't know if it's Cody's pipe making voodoo or my attentiveness because of how much I love this thing, but either way it is a win. The grain on my example is awesome to me, and you can tell this briar is top notch. I couldn't be more happy with it honestly, and it is setting an unhealthy precedence of what I will expect from future pipe purchases... Ha ha.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Crappy cell phone pics, but here's what I've got so far...

As far as test drive impressions, I am not as seasoned a piper as many of you but I'll give it a go. I mentioned a little in the daily bowl thread already but I'll reiterate here. The draw is about as effortless as I could imagine. The taper inside the stem really seems to be making a difference. It's also incredibly comfortable both to hold and clench, but with the stem as thin as it gets I wouldn't clench it without a softee/pipe saver. It's not that I think it would suffer from bite through unless you played Jaws in James Bond, but the angles on the sides are almost sharp and I would hate to have chatter marks on such a beautiful pipe. The shaping around the rim is also a great feature and I think someone would have to be rushed or intoxicated to char it. The fit at the mortise is like a bank vault. Even with the taper on the bowl it doesn't heat up nearly as much as my other pipes. I don't know if it's Cody's pipe making voodoo or my attentiveness because of how much I love this thing, but either way it is a win. The grain on my example is awesome to me, and you can tell this briar is top notch. I couldn't be more happy with it honestly, and it is setting an unhealthy precedence of what I will expect from future pipe purchases... Ha ha.
You really did get a near-perfect straight grain up the bowl. It's crazy how each different grain example compliments the design in different ways, and all of them end up look equally amazing!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
thanks for the mini-review, sir! "crappy cell phone pix" and "not as seasoned a piper" nothing, you did a solid job of making me feel like i was holding one already. o)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I think it bears mentioning as some of us who purchased one may not have as much (or any) experience with the pipe: do not try to remove or adjust the stem while the pipe is hot! Always wait until the pipe has cooled before disassembling for a thorough cleaning.
If you attempt twist off the stem while the briar is warm and swollen, you could very easily snap off the shank where it meets the bowl. I'd hate to see any of us do that to such a beautiful piece of art!
Happy piping, all!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I think it bears mentioning as some of us who purchased one may not have as much (or any) experience with the pipe: do not try to remove or adjust the stem while the pipe is hot! Always wait until the pipe has cooled before disassembling for a thorough cleaning.
If you attempt twist off the stem while the briar is warm and swollen, you could very easily snap off the shank where it meets the bowl. I'd hate to see any of us do that to such a beautiful piece of art!
Happy piping, all!
man speaks truth!

it's a briar; you can probably save or salvage the finish, lucite should be resistant to tooth marks, and you can salt treat it to rededicate the bowl to another style of tobacco, but PLEASE do not abuse the tennon-stem junction!

as an aside, do they pass a cleaner through to the bowl?

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Let me add my gratitude to everyone who was involved with this. From Kelvin who first proposed the thread/idea to those who expressed enough interest to make it something worth considering.
A big thank you to Clint who organized and handled all the processing/polling/shipping/etc. Joe for the extra surprise (I wasn't even aware of it!). And most importantly, Cody for making it all happen.

And Sean - you will never know! :tonguerol
Thank you for approving it Eric.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Cody, do you have a website where you show off your commission work and one-off pipes?
Great point! You really should have a venue to show past work, even if you don't have things currently available for sale. Until then, we have Instagram... ;)
No I don't I really should find a web designer.
I'll PM you...
Well to those that have asked I will soon have a website, rdomfoto has been went above and beyond and decided to volunteer his services to help me out.
Thanks a lot Rob.
Well, thanks to the generosity of one Mr. Domaschuk (our own rdomfoto) Cody now has a website!
Great job, Rob!
Check it out:
www.cperkinspipes.com

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Cody, do you have a website where you show off your commission work and one-off pipes?
Great point! You really should have a venue to show past work, even if you don't have things currently available for sale. Until then, we have Instagram... ;)
I'll PM you...
Well to those that have asked I will soon have a website, rdomfoto has been went above and beyond and decided to volunteer his services to help me out.
Thanks a lot Rob.
Well, thanks to the generosity of one Mr. Domaschuk (our own rdomfoto) Cody now has a website!
Great job, Rob!
Check it out:
www.cperkinspipes.com
Considering all generosity shown to me by the brothers, I was more than happy to help out with this.

One caveat: it is still in its infancy and there are more changes coming. However I would love feedback.

So keep checking back

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I'll PM you...
Thanks a lot Rob.
Great job, Rob!
Check it out:
www.cperkinspipes.com
Considering all generosity shown to me by the brothers, I was more than happy to help out with this.

One caveat: it is still in its infancy and there are more changes coming. However I would love feedback.

So keep checking back
Feedback...

Brilliant!!!

However, there is a spelling error on the "meet Cody" section.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
If you need any help with anything let me know. Graphics for sliders, any coding to change the wp stuff or anything. More than willing to help.