What's new

2014 BOTL Pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
James (dscl) still hasn't gotten the go ahead from Eric. Perhaps PM Eric and let him know this is something you want? Maybe just keep confirming interest on this thread so it stays near the top? I don't know. I don't know if Eric just forgot about this or if he decided against it, but he needs to respond to James' PMs before anything continues... But, if we DO get this train moving we could possibly still have them for distribution by the BOTL 10th Anniversary!

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Unfortunately the only interaction Eric had given so far was the post in the thread saying he would prefer something carved like the DE pipe vs. something branded with a stamp. I worry how feasible this is as I'm guessing a carved piece like the DE was never meant to be more than a one-off and was probably gifted to JD, where as a small run of those would likely fetch $600-$1000/ea and take forever to produce.
Many pipe clubs do limited run "year" pipes that are unique and limited to that build, but still look like pipes, turn out amazing and are highly coveted.
I'll post one I wish I would have jumped on earlier this year...

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Some examples of my work for those that are curious.

Wow. That is some beautiful work.

As for making it a BOTL pipe, perhaps a silver band with BOTL engraved can handle that. A carved pipe like the DE one will not be cost effective and will price it out of the hands of too many people. I personally thin the DE pipe looks ridiculous and I wouldn't want one, but that's just my opinion. I would continue to talk with Eric about it, giving him several options as the final decision is his.

Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
This was a 50 (60?) piece run that Mark Balkvec did for the 2014 TPC Pipe of the year.
The style is a common one for the carver, but the finish and styling was specific to this run.

I still kick myself for not jumping on this when I had the chance, but I had just started following their site at the time and hesitated.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Wow. That is some beautiful work. As for making it a BOTL pipe, perhaps a silver band with BOTL engraved can handle that. A carved pipe like the DE one will not be cost effective and will price it out of the hands of too many people. I would continue to talk with Eric about it, giving him several options,
Engraved band is an excellent idea!
(See the Peterson St. Patrick's Day as an example)

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
This was a 50 (60?) piece run that Mark Balkvec did for the 2014 TPC Pipe of the year.
The style is a common one for the carver, but the finish and styling was specific to this run.

I still kick myself for not jumping on this when I had the chance, but I had just started following their site at the time and hesitated.
I like that shape. I have about 25 pipes that I enjoy, all different styles. But I tend to gravitate towards the apple or small Danish styles

Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0

I like that shape. I have about 25 pipes that I enjoy, all different styles. But I tend to gravitate towards the apple or small Danish styles
I'm particularly partial to that yellow-stemmed blowfish that Cody made, but really I want one of everything! 👍😉

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I second the idea about an engraved band. That is a good idea and I like the looks of the on Clint posted on the previous page

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I wouldn't purchase a pipe like the DE pipe- not even close to my thing. The pipe maker who has posted here has get some really nice looking work IMHO. Don't know how they smoke but I intend to find out very soon.
I too like the thought of an engraved band but it might be too much money.
Carry on

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Has anyone messaged Eric regarding this? Or are we just hoping he will notice the thread again and chime in?

Status
Not open for further replies.