What's new

A Proposition for All You Homerollers

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I need to agree here, we did this for feedback. What the hell am i going to do with feedback on my rolling over a year ago? I definitely don't remember my rolling... Woooo those leaves tasted good at some point?

This is why bliss's tasting/contest reins superior. 2 months. Reviewed. Scored. Done.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Its about time for another isnt it?

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Cigar reviewing is funny business. We talk about our cigars ROTT, after 6 weeks, after 6 months, after 1 year...I'm still green in this realm but find some cigars that I don't like right off the table are great a year later while some that were pretty good right off the table are blah after a year...no rhyme or reason to it that I can find. Who knows what time will do to a blend until the time is passed and the cigar smoked? I just did it for the fun of it.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Cigar reviewing is funny business. We talk about our cigars ROTT, after 6 weeks, after 6 months, after 1 year...I'm still green in this realm but find some cigars that I don't like right off the table are great a year later while some that were pretty good right off the table are blah after a year...no rhyme or reason to it that I can find. Who knows what time will do to a blend until the time is passed and the cigar smoked? I just did it for the fun of it.
And yet something like this doesn't actually help, i no longer roll the same way and i no longer have access to that leaf (we all know year plays a big part in homeroll flavors)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

A Huge Nerd

Lee-Hair-Oh
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Meh.

All of us that submitted cigars roll orders of magnitude better now. I am extremely disappointed that Matt hasn't made it clear that after giving us a very tight deadline he sat on the cigars for over a year.

These reviews mean nothing.
Sure you're having a good time, smoking free cigars. We (with the exception of @BrewinHooligan) are apprentice rollers, and have substantially increased our skills since the time these cigars were submitted. A mea culpa from @A Huge Nerd would go a long way to setting this right. His introduction to Jonathan's cigars was patronizing at best, and sets a very bed tone for home rolling cigars. "A shucks, those kids sure do try hard, don't they?"
@nic you seem upset. I would have been happy to discuss all of it through private message, but you seem to be ok with here in the public forum, so I'd be glad to address some of your individual points here.

- The first review published on 1/31/18 was my very first time attempting to post a review on BMP. It's a process that I am still learning and yes, I made a few mistakes that first time. I'll probably make mistakes again in the future. It happens. Please see the next point...
- I have apologized on multiple occasions in this thread and taken complete responsibility for delays and slow timelines. If you want something above and beyond the mea culpas I have already offered, I am open to suggestions.
- The first review posted exactly one year after the submission deadline. Yes, that seems like a long time. Yes, it is far longer than I would have preferred and I have apologized for that. It is not nearly as long of a time as you alleged in one of your comments. As for the original deadline, I don't recall any heavy-handed behavior or statements on my part back when I was still taking in the cigar submissions. I posted reminders a few times in the thread to let people know that the deadline (that everyone agreed upon) was approaching. Everyone who wanted to submit cigars did so before that date, but if for some reason anyone had been a bit late, I can all but guarantee I would have let it slide.
- You replied to Zane something about him smoking free cigars? This I don't understand at all. You want me to send you some cigars in return for the ones you submitted to this series? That wasn't part of the generally accepted participation agreement, but I am open to suggestions.
- My introduction to Jonathan's cigar was patronizing at best? I respectfully disagree, and if you had bothered to read the introduction for the review of the cigar from Brendon, you would realize they are virtually identical. It's a boilerplate intro to go along with all of the cigars in the series. Not a word of it was written with intent or desire to patronize or belittle the rollers who take part in the series.

Please let me know if I missed anything, or if you have any additional questions or concerns. Thank you.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Excellent job @Marc L, that's a cigar I would love to try for sure. Anything you roll for that matter..
I personally think he rolls better than that review... morning only smoke? No. Boring? Absolutely NOT! Is it a Nicaraguan flavor bomb? No.
Reviewers need better tastebuds to appreciate that one

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I personally think he rolls better than that review... morning only smoke? No. Boring? Absolutely NOT! Is it a Nicaraguan flavor bomb? No.
Reviewers need better tastebuds to appreciate that one
@webmost made a great point yesterday regarding something along those lines. Taste is subjective and just like a beer comp, we are at the mercy of the judges and we don't know what they like/dislike. I stopped entering homebrew comps because of inept judges. Not saying these reviewers are inept, but they aren't used to smoking stuff like what Marc rolls. I was really disappointed when my review rolled out, but the brotherhood and friends have already spoken on what they think of my sticks and that's good enough for me.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
@webmost made a great point yesterday regarding something along those lines. Taste is subjective and just like a beer comp, we are at the mercy of the judges and we don't know what they like/dislike. I stopped entering homebrew comps because of inept judges. Not saying these reviewers are inept, but they aren't used to smoking stuff like what Marc rolls. I was really disappointed when my review rolled out, but the brotherhood and friends have already spoken on what they think of my sticks and that's good enough for me.
Preach buddy.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Even the highest rated cigar/beer in the world doesn't appeal to everyone's palette. I too stopped entering competitions based on inconsistencies driven by personal preferences from the judges. I drew the line after I was the steward for a couple of competitions. Hearing the judges argue back and forth about what they did and didn't taste in different beers was humorous.