What's new

AR-15 Build Thread

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hell yes!!! I am so far behind. I got my vice block and my punches to build the lower but still missing the vice. I thought I would be done by now, but unexpected expenses keep getting in the way. Stupid adult priorities...
Yea I thought I would have already been done with it to, but beside those stupid adult priorities you mentioned I picked up ANOTHER hobby in drones. So for the past couple of months my extra money had been going to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Did you buy the upper completed or did you build it also? I am going back and forth on buying or building, just wanted an opinion.

The lower I built completely. The only thing I did to upper was install the forward assist and ejection cover. I went on and decided to let the owner of the store I bought the handrails from install the barrel, gas tube, gas block, and handrails. Reason being that I wanted to make sure that was done correctly. Also if anything was to ever happen to the upper he warranties his work. Already planning my next build which I'm thinking of going with a AR pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Nice rifle, I pretty much did the same thing, built the lower, and ordered a Rainer Arms complete upper. It is so much fun to shoot.

I want to do a .300 blk pistol with 8.5" barrel, Shockwave blade for the brace.

PSA has completely assembled pistol lowers for $139.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
@BrewinHooligan I built my lower using this block I screwed to the work bench. I didn't need a vice till I had to tighten the castle nut on the buffer tube. But you can do that prior to shooting.

blocks/ar-15-m16-spike-s-block-prod54958

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Well hell. That thing looks pretty awesome! I already have a block to use with a vice though, I just need to hurry up and file my taxes so I can get the vice and the rest of my parts.

xddco

The Skipper
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
I am just starting my first build....I already have an S+W Sport with Magpul furniture, Midwest Ind. 12 handguard, Trijicon TA31F ACOG, Spike's trigger guard, Troy medieval muzzle break and Larue 3.5 trigger upgrades.....and an HK SL8-1 setup with Nikon .223 optic...but the allure of building my own rifle, part by part, was too much to resist.

For my build, parts in hand include: Same Magpul carbon fiber furniture kit that Hoshy used, Davidson Defense billet upper with Colt 1:8 match barrel and 15 in. carbon fiber keymod handguard, Fail Zero Ni-Bo BCG, ATX billet lower, Spike's Tactical enhanced lower kit, Giselle 3 lb trigger, Lantac dragon compensator & Kyntec Corp. hydraulic recoil buffer. (My granddaughter will shoot this one.) I also have a new TA31FGRMR optic to put on it. The upper was finished, but I changed the muzzle break (with help from a friend's son who is a USCG armorer in MIA) and will do the lower as soon as I can get together with him. Reading this thread has got my interest piqued again. I've already decided that this year, I'll start a .308 build.
I'll send photos when done.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, BUIS added, still waiting on MRO, and a few other goodies popped on. It's now rocking a Geissele SD3G, LWRC's UCIW, an Arisaka QD sling mount and some Strike Industries MLok rail covers. I always say I'm done but builds never seem to end.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, BUIS added, still waiting on MRO, and a few other goodies popped on. It's now rocking a Geissele SD3G, LWRC's UCIW, an Arisaka QD sling mount and some Strike Industries MLok rail covers. I always say I'm done but builds never seem to end.
How much would you say you put into this?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much would you say you put into this?
I'm always nervous about putting numbers out there in case my fiance stumbles across them lol.
Right now I think it's sitting a little over $2k in new parts. I was able to use or trade some stuff I had on hand and that kept prices down...sorta.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats not bad for what you got. Id like to build one for a grand and then slowly make mods over the years

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not bad for what you got. Id like to build one for a grand and then slowly make mods over the years
Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk
One part at a time is all it takes. My first build was accomplished entirely by just putting a $20 away every week and buying tiny parts as I could. That's what makes these rifles so great.