What's new

AR-15 Build Thread

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Following, wanting to build a new MSR next spring so....
What are your goals? Budget build? Unique caliber? Have you built one before?
I use mostly aero lowers for quality/value. But there's a lot of good options. Parts should be abundant and inexpensive for the next year or so.
I preferred cmmg and spikes/seekins lpks, by far the best I've tried.
Big fan of ballistic advantage barrels as well as PSA's CHF CMV line of barrels. Faxon has been good to me as well.
And the ALG G2S is by far the best value trigger I've found so far.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your goals? Budget build? Unique caliber? Have you built one before?
I use mostly aero lowers for quality/value. But there's a lot of good options. Parts should be abundant and inexpensive for the next year or so.
I preferred cmmg and spikes/seekins lpks, by far the best I've tried.
Big fan of ballistic advantage barrels as well as PSA's CHF CMV line of barrels. Faxon has been good to me as well.
And the ALG G2S is by far the best value trigger I've found so far.
Yes budget build to an extent, wanting to retire my old Mauser and hang it up as it has my gunsmith really concerned. so I would like to build one in 308 which is not that unique. If I have to build one in 223 I'm fine with that because it will mainly be for coyotes and deer. The wide availability of parts is a main motivation for going the msr route.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Yes budget build to an extent, wanting to retire my old Mauser and hang it up as it has my gunsmith really concerned. so I would like to build one in 308 which is not that unique. If I have to build one in 223 I'm fine with that because it will mainly be for coyotes and deer. The wide availability of parts is a main motivation for going the msr route.

Hmm, well, ar10 builds are a different animal. Parts commonality and interchangeability is not nearly as universal. And cost will probably be about 30- 40% higher. I think with some extra research you could get into a great build with aero/BA, cmmg, and psa parts for around 1200. Just be sure to study up so that you're not buying parts that won't play nice with each other.
That said, 15`s will do well enough for coyote and deer (if they allow deer hunting with 223 in your state) and you can always add a blackout, Grendel, or 22 upper later. With careful purchasing you can have a quality build in the $700 range.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Some great looking builds in here...
Heres my two.
Untitled by Shift_Six, on Flickr

Top: 10.3" SBR
Noveske N4 upper, Noveske Lower, Noveske bcg, Daniel Defense MK18 RIS-II rail & 10.3" barrel. Surefire 556RC Socom can, Trijicon TA33G-H ACOG, Geissele SD3G trigger, KAC BUIS

Lower: 14.5"
Noveske Gen-III upper, Noveske hybrid rail, Noveske N4 lower, Geissele SD-E trigger, Aimpoint T2 on a Geissele mount, Noveske BCG, Larue UDE furniture.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Some great looking builds in here...
Heres my two.
Untitled by Shift_Six, on Flickr

Top: 10.3" SBR
Noveske N4 upper, Noveske Lower, Noveske bcg, Daniel Defense MK18 RIS-II rail & 10.3" barrel. Surefire 556RC Socom can, Trijicon TA33G-H ACOG, Geissele SD3G trigger, KAC BUIS

Lower: 14.5"
Noveske Gen-III upper, Noveske hybrid rail, Noveske N4 lower, Geissele SD-E trigger, Aimpoint T2 on a Geissele mount, Noveske BCG, Larue UDE furniture.
Well damn if those aren't beautiful, awesome builds brother!! I'd love to build an SBR, but I live in Commiefornia so that pretty much sums up that idea.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Gotta love that canned life! :D
View attachment 100824
Budget frankenbuild, (albeit quality parts) Omega.
Its nice being able to swap between the two rifles as well. Yours looks fun as hell too :) If this rain lets up and stuff dries out here in Houston, I'll be hitting the range before the heat comes back. Sporting clays have been getting all the attention lately. Rifles need some dusting off. :)

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Its nice being able to swap between the two rifles as well. Yours looks fun as hell too :) If this rain lets up and stuff dries out here in Houston, I'll be hitting the range before the heat comes back. Sporting clays have been getting all the attention lately. Rifles need some dusting off. :)
Indeed. It's loads of fun. Far more accurate than it has any right to be. The blackout sbr gets more range time than anything though. Just so fun on the steel. Just rarely can make time. Even having a range at the house..

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, well, ar10 builds are a different animal. Parts commonality and interchangeability is not nearly as universal. And cost will probably be about 30- 40% higher. I think with some extra research you could get into a great build with aero/BA, cmmg, and psa parts for around 1200. Just be sure to study up so that you're not buying parts that won't play nice with each other.
That said, 15`s will do well enough for coyote and deer (if they allow deer hunting with 223 in your state) and you can always add a blackout, Grendel, or 22 upper later. With careful purchasing you can have a quality build in the $700 range.
Yes which is why I'm leaning more towards a 15 build in 223. I do love the 308 win cartridge for several reasons but things are what they are. Missouri as far as I know is ok with that small of a projectile thing is I'd need to get a 10rnd mag as you can't have anything bigger on you if you are hunting deer in MO. Dillos, feral dogs, coyotes are a whole different story.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Last AR that I called mine was given me by my Uncle, there was a string attached. I had to hand over my trusty M-14. Keep thinking of buying a P.O.F - AR made in Arizona, kind of pricy. But I keep people say they are good.

I am not what I call a tool guy, funny thing is I once started a Tool & Die Maker Apprentishship. Decided inspecting others work was more my thing, so I follow that career for a year.

Maybe I need to put on my 2018 and AR. Recommendations?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Niiiiiiice! I've heard good things....
My good friends are neighbors to Art Elfmann. Best part is, if I have issues I take it right to him to look over, fix, or replace. Can't beat it.
Last AR that I called mine was given me by my Uncle, there was a string attached. I had to hand over my trusty M-14. Keep thinking of buying a P.O.F - AR made in Arizona, kind of pricy. But I keep people say they are good.

I am not what I call a tool guy, funny thing is I once started a Tool & Die Maker Apprentishship. Decided inspecting others work was more my thing, so I follow that career for a year.

Maybe I need to put on my 2018 and AR. Recommendations?
POF does have a good reputation, but if you are the least bit capable I am in the frame of mind where you get way more gun for your money if you build vs. buy. Plus, with how much there is out there, you build what you want to begin with instead of buy a gun then spend more swapping parts here and there.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
My good friends are neighbors to Art Elfmann. Best part is, if I have issues I take it right to him to look over, fix, or replace. Can't beat it.POF does have a good reputation, but if you are the least bit capable I am in the frame of mind where you get way more gun for your money if you build vs. buy. Plus, with how much there is out there, you build what you want to begin with instead of buy a gun then spend more swapping parts here and there.

Well then only firearm I ever build out of a part kit was a Flintlock Smoothebore that I hunted with for many years. It was a copy of a Pennsylania Fowler. Very accurate out to 50 yard with patched Roundballs, plus I could load shot for bird hunting.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Well then only firearm I ever build out of a part kit was a Flintlock Smoothebore that I hunted with for many years. It was a copy of a Pennsylania Fowler. Very accurate out to 50 yard with patched Roundballs, plus I could load shot for bird hunting.
If you can build that, you can build an ar15. They are like legos for adults. Lol. You need some punches and if you aren't buying a barreled upper you need a vice and a vice block, a torque wrench, and some other tools you probably already have.

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Santa was good to me for Christmas. Good friends of mine know Art Elfmann really well, they were able to get me hooked up.
Nice, I’ve wanted to pick one of those up since I saw them at Shot last year.

I second building an AR, but once you start it’s easy to just buy parts to put together later, don’t ask how I know.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
PSA has an after Christmas sale going on.. their mil-spec forged lower that normally retails for $119 is currently priced at $39 (sale ends tomorrow)..

I dont really NEED to build another AR...

But at that price couldnt resist.. and bought 2x new lowers.. :D

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-lower-safe-fire-1728.html?trk_msg=L9LCM0CFJB34396PSVHJVH632S&trk_contact=MAHEMMTS7VE0G228L7U5601D2O&trk_sid=RLEKQASB68M4GHU3BVCBUGQ8T0&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-lower-safe-fire-1728.html&utm_campaign=Daily Deal Email&utm_content=5:00 Email