What's new

Best Cutters?

beercritic

Noobness
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuban Crafters CC-23.

My night vision sucks, so this is a no brainer. Cutter has a shield backing, to prevent over-cutting. so I don't have to see what I'm doing. A bit of pain to periodically remove stuck bits of tobacco. Not as much pain as a ruined cigar, though.

joe

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
Xikar Xi3 or X8 (Or the cheaper Xi series- Xi2 - They all have the same blades, just different bodies). The Xi cutters are the teardrop while the X8 is the standard guillotine.

Also, Xikar's 009 punch is one of the largest I've seen... They also have a discontinued model (can't remember the name) that's even bigger... like a 10 or 11 mm punch... I know my local B&M has one or two, so try looking at your tobacconist - they may still exist

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Haha...This thread is fuuuuny!
He should have listed a poll instead of a question. Seems like everyone has a different cutter they prefer leaving the same question...which one should he buy?
Just like cigars...Cutters seem to be different strokes for different folks.
I say just buy one of the top two used by all the brothers opinions in this thread and you can't go wrong.
That being said I love my Xikar Xi3.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Palio is a great guillotine cutter, which makes it easy to use. The cut on the Xikar Xi cutters are harder to use and leaves a little bit of an uneven cut. Why most prefer the Palio over it. But now Xikar makes the X8 which pretty much uses the same design as the Palio. It is a two blade guillotine style where one is a fixed blade and the other one works. It is very sharp and cuts just as good as the Palio. Where I think the Xikar beats it out is the size and price. The Xikar can cut over a 60 RG and the MSP is $25 while the cheap Palio is at $40.

But I would say my favorite is the Xikar VX! It is a V-Cutter that makes a deep clean cut. Now V-cut is not my favorite for smoking a cigar, but I have never had a cutter cut easier, cleaner, or better then this cutter and thats why I use it.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Palio is my favorite guillotine and the Xikar VX is my absolute favorite for the same reasons listed just above. Clean, sharp cut with a great draw and no tobacco flakes in my mouth.

jebloom22

Master Blend
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xi2...but it fell out of my pocket and burst into pieces. It's sitting in an envelope waiting to be sent to KC for repair. For the most part, it's done well in the last 3 years or so since I've had it.

*also came with Cohiba gift set

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Love the Xikar I got with a Cohiba gift set years ago. I still use it exclusively while the Palio sits in a drawer. I believe it is an Xi3 -- bought the girlfriend an Xi2 recently -- cuts good, but feels very cheap in the hands. I wouldn't recommend it.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Happy with my Palio, XiKar scissors, Wolf V Cutter, Tatuaje buzz cutter, and just a cheap punch cutter (the ones that look like a .44 mag cartridge) All perform well for various purposes.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Xikar that has worked well for over 10 years. The company also backs its product. My first Xikar was chewed up by my Golden Retriever. Tooth dents in the blade! Sent it to the company to see if it could be repaired and they sent me a new one!

I also have a Swiss Army Knife (golf edition) that has scissor cigar cutter on it. It is also a great cutter. I probably use it more because it fits well in my travel humidor.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I also have a Swiss Army Knife (golf edition) that has scissor cigar cutter on it. It is also a great cutter. I probably use it more because it fits well in my travel humidor.
Cant seem to find the knife your talking about... got a link?

Fia

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a Xikar that has worked well for over 10 years. The company also backs its product. My first Xikar was chewed up by my Golden Retriever. Tooth dents in the blade! Sent it to the company to see if it could be repaired and they sent me a new one!

The SAK also doubles as good roach clip when your nubbing a cigar!:peace:

Rating - 90%
9   1   0
I can tell you what the worst cutter is. The Colibri Cut, their half ass attempt to rip off Xikar. The POS broke in less than ten days. I'm ordering a Xikar.

jbizzle

jb
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm w/ Pooh on this one, my stainless SAK is hands down my go to cutter. Handy to have a pocket knife and a cutter with me in one small object. Besides that, the blade is still sharp after about 5 years or 5000 cigars. I have two Palios, two Xikars, and a handful of other cutters. Honestly while the Palio and Xikar are sharp, I don't like the way they fit in my hand when cutting and I have rather large mits. I can get a quick, clean cut much easier with the thumb action on my SAK.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Before you give up on your current cutter, take a Q-tip, dip it in alcohol, and rub the cutting surfaces of the blades. You might find that it starts working like new again. Or just buy a Palio. Or Xikar. Or SAK... :cbig: