What's new

Blend testing

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Tried a blend of 1.5 habano seco and 1.5 mata fina with Dominican binder and PA Oscuro wrapper today. Started with all pepper for the first inch the moved into a predominantly chocolate and some oaky flavors for the rest of the stick. It was only 5 days old so this leaves me wondering what would happen if I let it sit for 3 months, 6 months, or a year...I'm going to roll enough of these to let some sit.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Tried a blend of 1.5 habano seco and 1.5 mata fina with Dominican binder and PA Oscuro wrapper today. Started with all pepper for the first inch the moved into a predominantly chocolate and some okay flavors for the rest of the stick. It was only 5 days old so this leaves me wondering what would happen if I let it sit for 3 months, 6 months, or a year...I'm going to roll enough of these to let some sit.
Which habano seco? I have found that while a stick will smoke and be enjoyable at 5 days, two months or more rest to allow the flavors to meld and the rh to equalize will provide a much better experience and can definitely affect the flavors. I have stopped trying to "judge" blends young, but I will still "test" them when I just can't stand to wait. That wrapper can be very spicy and somewhat harsh young, time will just make that stick better and will smooth it out.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Which habano seco? I have found that while a stick will smoke and be enjoyable at 5 days, two months or more rest to allow the flavors to meld and the rh to equalize will provide a much better experience and can definitely affect the flavors. I have stopped trying to "judge" blends young, but I will still "test" them when I just can't stand to wait. That wrapper can be very spicy and somewhat harsh young, time will just make that stick better and will smooth it out.
It's the WLT Nic Habano Seco.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
So there is a dried fruit flavor in the Le Careme that I love. Does anyone know what tobacco contributes to that?
It's really hard to say as crowned heads has access to way more leaf than we do. Also, different ratios of the same leaf can have different flavors along with the flavors you might get from the binder and wrapper. I can get flavors like toasted marshmallows out of certain blends and swap out the wrapper alone and that toasted marshmallow turns to malted milk balls (whoppers). I guess what I'm saying is that there is an endless number of flavors and options even available to us home rollers.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's really hard to say as crowned heads has access to way more leaf than we do. Also, different ratios of the same leaf can have different flavors along with the flavors you might get from the binder and wrapper. I can get flavors like toasted marshmallows out of certain blends and swap out the wrapper alone and that toasted marshmallow turns to malted milk balls (whoppers). I guess what I'm saying is that there is an endless number of flavors and options even available to us home rollers.
I appreciate it. I want to try LO dark fire cured blend when I get the funds.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Please don't judge but I had a toscana that tasted just how it smelled. I've been dying to get a blend close to it.
Not judge? Why, I thought that's what we're here for.

My friend Larry the Tobacco Butcher makes some fire cured from time to time. I'll be digging round my stash this weekend. I'll let you know if I run onto some. I may have given it all out.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not judge? Why, I thought that's what we're here for.

My friend Larry the Tobacco Butcher makes some fire cured from time to time. I'll be digging round my stash this weekend. I'll let you know if I run onto some. I may have given it all out.
That would be awesome! I just love that taste. I want to make a Yellow Rose clone but use some fire cured to give some extra smokiness.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Would you use it in the binder, wrapper, or filler? I like the idea of a sumatra or san andreas wrap
Last spring I had a blend that used the WLT Virginia (I think?) Fire Cured. I'll see if I can dig out the blend information. Ended up adding one or two strips (1-1.5 x 6 inches) to the filler while bunching. Had the smokey notes, but didn't radically overpower anything. There were a few test blends I did which were 1/2 and 1/3 fire-cured, and in a corona, whew, that was really tough to get through, even though I love the taste.

I'll try to figure out where I put it (the smell won't be hard to find), and blend with it this weekend.

Garbeque here we come.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last spring I had a blend that used the WLT Virginia (I think?) Fire Cured. I'll see if I can dig out the blend information. Ended up adding one or two strips (1-1.5 x 6 inches) to the filler while bunching. Had the smokey notes, but didn't radically overpower anything. There were a few test blends I did which were 1/2 and 1/3 fire-cured, and in a corona, whew, that was really tough to get through, even though I love the taste.
Thanks for the info!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Would you use it in the binder, wrapper, or filler? I like the idea of a sumatra or san andreas wrap
I'm not sure anyone here has really played with the fire cured stuff... @BrewinHooligan?

Sent from Webmost's phone
I haven't worked with any yet, if I want smoky tasting tobacco I grab my pipe and an English blend usually. If I were to try, I would place it in the filler and use no more than a half leaf in a robusto.