What's new

Blend testing

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I scored some Dominican volado (piloto) from LT. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Anyone here gotten good mileage out of this? What did you blend/bind/wrap it with?
Nic wrapper or Dom binder for the binder ... dom fillers... cam wrapper for a med blend or dom wrapper for a milder blend ~xox

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thinking about experimenting with a WLT triple Criollo --
  • 1/2 WLT Criollo ligero, for sting
  • 1 WLT Criollo viso, for burn
  • 1 WLT Criollo seco, for sweet
  • 1/2 FXSS CT shade (huge leaves!) providing both binder and wrapper, for cream

Before I slice open new bags, I thought I'd ask what y'all may opine. Anyone tried a similar triple criollo?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Thinking about experimenting with a WLT triple Criollo --
  • 1/2 WLT Criollo ligero, for sting
  • 1 WLT Criollo viso, for burn
  • 1 WLT Criollo seco, for sweet
  • 1/2 FXSS CT shade (huge leaves!) providing both binder and wrapper, for cream

Before I slice open new bags, I thought I'd ask what y'all may opine. Anyone tried a similar triple criollo?
I haven't tried a triple criollo, but I imagine that blend will be smooth and creamy with some hints of nuts and wood and a decent spice on the back end. I'm gonnna have to try this with corojo now that you have me thinking about it.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was thinking about the corojo at first ... but I thought it might turn out too strong for everyday human consumption. Besides, I love that criollo seco aroma sweetness.

Looking for the next stashable blend, here. Fill up a couple boxes.

Took inventory of my stash plan yesterday. I'm over halfway there, not including the duds.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Making some progress on this uppowoc criollo thing. Rolled one pint-sized leaf criollo ligero, and a regular sized leaf each criollo viso and seco. Bound and wrapped in what the package claims to be CT shade, but which looks like regular CT broadleaf natural. It was pretty doggone good. Rich spicy raisins. Only thing, the wrap and binder didn't want to burn worth a darn. My next experiment will substitute that Dom volado for binder, & see how that burns.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Got this batch of wunnerful sumatra wrapper grown by my friend the Tobacco Butcher in Kentucky. Been looking for the best blend to roll in it. After half a dozen experiments, have settled on corojo seco, bound in Dominican volado. Sounds very simple but o my gawd

So damn good I ran upstairs and rolled another real quick, just to be sure:

Great color. The taste reminds me of my fave San Benigno.

Here's an oddity... Look at the snow white ash that the corojo produces:

This is a yummy stick. Gonna stash a couple boxes of these rolls.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'm going to try a combo of leaves in the Golden Ratio (.5 ligero, 2 viso, 1 seco) as follows:
.5 Criollo Ligero
2 Corojo Viso
.5 Habano Seco
.5 Corojo Seco
I doubled up on the Dominican Binder and wrapped with Ecuadorian Ligero.
If they'd burn right now I'd be smoking one instead of posting, they smell so good!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What in the world is it!?
It was a 111 Jorge wrapped in the infamous Jorge Habano. This is a wrapper that I, Web, and GDaddy all purchased, loved the smell of raw, and found to be apocalyptically strong and terrible when burnt. I had many serious psychadelic experiences screwing with that leaf. This cigar was modeled after the Warped El Oso Cub.
Anyway, I rolled this thing ten months ago, and something magical happened somewhere along the way, sometime between last July (when I last tried one of these) and yesterday. No idea if I used any mojo like pineapple to dial it back. But now I don't feel like I wasted $70 on that wrapper: it just needed a LONG FUCKING TIME to go from terrible to amazeballs. If I had any filler left I'd use what I've got left of that wrapper. Someday. This equaled or was better than a Cub or an Illusione maduro lancero.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a small bit left. What filler did you stick in it? Remember?
"111 Jorge" = equal parts three primings Jorge, and Jorge binder.
[edit:] I think in general and specifically with a sun-grown wrapper, any good filler's gonna work if the wrapper's good. Stick whatever's your least-bad filler in there and you're good to go, in ten months.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
"111 Jorge" = equal parts three primings Jorge, and Jorge binder.
[edit:] I think in general and specifically with a sun-grown wrapper, any good filler's gonna work if the wrapper's good. Stick whatever's your least-bad filler in there and you're good to go, in ten months.
I got filler. I got patience. I got Jorge.
Remind me to smoke 'em next Fall.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well, once again, I am all fulla schmidt. The Jorge I have turns out to be about a quarter pound of seco. I do, however, have a couple boxes of Sheiks stashed away. They are Jorge seco, viso, and ligero. Rolled way back last May. So they're almost ripe. Unfortunately, one box is wrapped with that blowtorch proof Corojo Oscuro. The other is wrapped with motley stuff. Looking forward now to breaking those Sheiks out after Easter.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Well, once again, I am all fulla schmidt. The Jorge I have turns out to be about a quarter pound of seco. I do, however, have a couple boxes of Sheiks stashed away. They are Jorge seco, viso, and ligero. Rolled way back last May. So they're almost ripe. Unfortunately, one box is wrapped with that blowtorch proof Corojo Oscuro. The other is wrapped with motley stuff. Looking forward now to breaking those Sheiks out after Easter.
I have one sheik left, the first one was a mighty fine stick. I am a corojo junkie though and the arid climate here is more forgiving on the flame retardant wrapper.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think the key to this thing was the wrapper. The filler blend was pretty neutral.