What's new

Blend testing

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I don't use bermocoll... I absolutely despise when wrappers unravel for various reasons... for that reason my binder and wrapper are moister than the filler leaves... and I glue both ends and the leaf rim... but if you ever have moisture issues... I recommend sun drying your sticks. I always sun dry my Vault Sticks. Sundried sticks are smokeable the same day as they are rolled. (this is not the same as putting them on your windowsill ... which may work but works at a much longer pace with uneven drying). I'm very organic in my process so I tend to consider tobacco use much like the natives... let mother nature marry them under sun. There were no fancy aging rooms back in the days of ole... sticks were rolled or tobacco pipe prepped for smoking now verses months or years later as we do today. I built a sundried box out of a very large Shadow Box and added some ledges to the inside and 2 hinged arms to the back of the outside... I added a screen behind the glass... instead of just the glass... In the winter I leave the glass on and in the spring/summer I remove the glass so only the screen is on... this prevents fly and bird landing. (yes... birds and squirrels will steal your sticks) The sun's natural heat dries and weds the leaves quickly. Depending on the size of your stick, dry time can vary based on conditions... I'm in Delaware so we are semi-humid a 48+RG should be about 3-5-SDM per 10 Degrees. Temps above 90 should use the 3 SDM time. People in dry regions should SD with sun rise and sun set sun... moister regions with high noon to 4pm sun. Roll over every 15 Minutes... sticks will be warm but will cool quickly to a nice smokeable delicious room temp within a few hours. This only sucks if I have to roll when there is no sun for days at a time :( It requires a lil more monitoring and handling but worth it... that's why I reserve it for my Vault Sticks... I can't image having to SD hundreds or dozens at a time all by oneself :p lol Hope this was helpful <~xox
I beg to differ. FX Smith's factory is a century and a half old, yet a good deal of space is devoted to aging rooms, with rack after rack of boxes pressing 500 at a time, and a cool humidor room in the basement. I dunno that they keep sticks for more than a few weeks. I cannot say.

Bermacol is what they use. Cellulose with a brand name. Made out of trees, so plenty organic.

I shoulda snapped your pics while you guys were over here, so I could show these guys you and your crew.

The heck's an SDM? Wiki gives me:
Not drying much of anything today outside in Dull-Aware. It's studgy. You could cut it with a knife, but the two pieces would just splooge back together. Tried working on the porch, but I was soaked in sweat by 9 a.m. Gonna roll a batch of parejos today instead, to christen my new parejo mold. One part Mata Fina, two parts Criollo, PA bound, Corojo Oscuro wrapped. I'll dry them couple days on the desk -- the window air conditioner helps with that. Then a week in the dry box. Then stash them four months. Holy Crapanoli they're gonna be awesome by autumn..

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I beg to differ. FX Smith's factory is a century and a half old, yet a good deal of space is devoted to aging rooms, with rack after rack of boxes pressing 500 at a time, and a cool humidor room in the basement. I dunno that they keep sticks for more than a few weeks. I cannot say.

Bermacol is what they use. Cellulose with a brand name. Made out of trees, so plenty organic.

I shoulda snapped your pics while you guys were over here, so I could show these guys you and your crew.

The heck's an SDM? Wiki gives me:
Not drying much of anything today outside in Dull-Aware. It's studgy. You could cut it with a knife, but the two pieces would just splooge back together. Tried working on the porch, but I was soaked in sweat by 9 a.m. Gonna roll a batch of parejos today instead, to christen my new parejo mold. One part Mata Fina, two parts Criollo, PA bound, Corojo Oscuro wrapped. I'll dry them couple days on the desk -- the window air conditioner helps with that. Then a week in the dry box. Then stash them four months. Holy Crapanoli they're gonna be awesome by autumn..
I'm sure we all know that cigars are much older than a few centuries... aging became a practice... but months and years old aging wasn't always the practice... still today you can find farmers rolling tobacco into cigars and smoking on the spot... or within days of rolling... women who roll in the marketplace who roll and smoke at the same time... or those who purchase their fresh rolls and begin smoking immediately... it's not at all an uncommon practice not to age a cigar today and certainly not in the days of ole ;) SDM = Sun Dried Minute lol... I think it was funny that you posted that list lol... none of those are relevant to cigars :p I'm sure there are many many MANY acronyms and initials that you will not be able to Wiki lol :p DE is crazy humid these days ... glad you are rolling something tasty ... as I noted... can't SD on days like today... but the sun may come out ... tomorrow ... betcha bottom dollar that tomorrow ... lol Save the pic from when my WHOLE crew visits lol... the Mrs. may not be able to handle that many folk lol... we'd have to bring a grill and bbq :p lol perhaps next... you will come blow some smoke with us ;)

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Blend test results so far. 48x5.5-6. Hab 2000 wrapper and Dom Binder.
9a: true 111 with criollo ligero, corojo viso and corojo seco. Wood, earth, mild pepper that was complimented by a sweetness which balanced the blend. Pepper increased in the last 3rd to give a nice finish.
9b: same as above but I added an extra 1/2 leaf of criollo ligero. Not what I expected. Expected a kick in pepper but instead got a heavy mineral flavor that overwhelmed everything else. I've got another blend coming up with the added ligero so I'll see if this was an anomaly or not.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
If you're a wood, earth, leather and pepper fan you'll really like it. I'd like more sweetness, cocoa or coffee for balance.
Swap the corojo viso out for Brazilian viso or WLT's mata fina and that might be what you're looking for! How much age did it have?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Swap the corojo viso out for Brazilian viso or WLT's mata fina and that might be what you're looking for! How much age did it have?

3 days. The best balance so far has been with corojo viso and corojo seco. The sweetness balanced the wood, earth, leather, and pepper. The nic habano seco gave a lot of leather. I've got one test sample with no corojo seco and a whole leaf of nic habano seco to test.

Last edited:

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
3 days. The best balance so far has been with corojo viso and corojo seco. The sweetness balanced the wood, earth, leather, and pepper. The nic habano seco gave a lot of leather. I've got one test sample with no corojo seco and a whole leaf of nic habano seco to test.
Hmmmmm, interesting.... maybe the wrapper can give you the profile you're looking for.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hmmmmm, interesting.... maybe the wrapper can give you the profile you're looking for.

I agree. I do prefer a maduro and have rolled plenty of PA oscuro, SA and I forget the other one. I'm looking to roll other wrappers with balanced blends and learn the nuances of those leaves. Not trying to turn everything into my preferred profile eventhough it sounds like it. To many leaves and not enough time.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
9d: hab 2000 wrapper, Dom binder, 1.5 criollo ligero, 1 Corojo viso, .5 Corojo seco and .5 nic hab seco.

Strong and full bodied. Wood, earth, pepper, a bit of leather and sweetness. Still a touch of metallic or mineral flavor from the extra .5 leaf of ligero.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0

Here we go, #1 blend with 2 months age, and 3 days in the dry box. The metallic flavor i had before, seems to be alleviated by the dry box time. Maybe it's also an artifact of being young? Definitely how i remember this one. Dry cocoa, cedar, cashews, and a hint of citrus.

My blend:
1 Dominican seco
1 Brazilian viso
0.5ish criollo ligero
Dominican binder
Brazilian wrapper

I have been a good boy and have not had this cigar with the Brazilian mata fina substitute yet, but i need to compare it soon and know what leaf to keep buying.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If you're a wood, earth, leather and pepper fan you'll really like it. I'd like more sweetness, cocoa or coffee for balance.
Try 1 part criollo ligero to 3 Corojo seco. Maybe swap out one of the secos for a leaf of Nica habano. Or 1 Corojo viso to 2 criollo ligero. Wrapped in broadleaf they fall somewhere between the profile of a Tat Reserva or a CroMag.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Try 1 part criollo ligero to 3 Corojo seco. Maybe swap out one of the secos for a leaf of Nica habano. Or 1 Corojo viso to 2 criollo ligero. Wrapped in broadleaf they fall somewhere between the profile of a Tat Reserva or a CroMag.
Yum. 9e one leaf nic hab seco and no Corojo seco., sat or Sunday's smoke. Gonna be up to 9z in no time.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
1 leaf corojo seco (WLT), 1 leaf criollo viso (WLT), 1 leaf Dominican ligero (jorge), Ecuadorian binder (jorge), PA broadleaf wrapper (LO). Rolled 3/30/16

Initial flavors are sweet cream, cocoa, some toasted nuts, espresso, and the perfect amount of leather and earth for my tastes. I was expecting more spice than I am getting but I can overlook that with everything else that's going on. An inch in starting to get hints of vanilla. Draw is a little snug due to a tightly packed bunch but a flattened paperclip opens it right up and now the spice I was looking for starts to show. This pairs exceptionally well with some Russels Reserve bourbon.

Going into the second third the flavors are staying about the same but some hints of toasted oak appear. Approaching the halfway point the spice is steadily increasing and each draw is better than the last. There is a lot going on here I can't put into words, but I'm thinking the ligero from Jorge is where most of the magic here is coming from. Along with the other flavors I'm picking up some nutmeg now and the retro is pure red pepper.

The final third the strength is building. I'm having to slow myself down because the smoke is getting hot but it's hitting my buttons so well I'm having a hard time pacing myself. The spicy retro is my favorite part at this point. I would reach for this more than I would most commercial sticks. The only drawback has been the tight draw. Now I want to try this blend wrapped in Brazilian Mata Fina and CT broadleaf to decide what works best for this filler blend.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
9e: hab 2000 wrapper, Dom binder, criollo lig, Corojo viso and nic habano seco. Tossed it. Bad bitter wood flavor. May make up another.

9f: hab 2000 wrapper, Dom binder, criollo lig leaf 1.5 leaf, Corojo viso and nic hab seco. Spicy and woody. Pepper is building as the smoke progresses

Rolled some BH MM blends with Jorge Dom lig today.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
9e: hab 2000 wrapper, Dom binder, criollo lig, Corojo viso and nic habano seco. Tossed it. Bad bitter wood flavor. May make up another.

9f: hab 2000 wrapper, Dom binder, criollo lig leaf 1.5 leaf, Corojo viso and nic hab seco. Spicy and woody. Pepper is building as the smoke progresses

Rolled some BH MM blends with Jorge Dom lig today.
That mm with the Jorge ligero should about knock your socks off. I can't get enough of em