What's new

Blending Thread

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Is it meant to be limited to 3?
In the spirit of less is more I usually stick to this, but one of my best blends uses a half leaf of two different secos and also only uses a half leaf of ligero so it is only a 1:1:.5 blend. The 1:1:1 just seems to work as a good starting point for me as far as a "balance" in a blend and if I want complexity I will use more than one of different primings.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here an interesting review of the Cuban Montecristo. They dissect the cigar and determine the amount of binder, volado, seco and ligero.
They talk about the importance of the seco in the blend and the difficult job of the blender to maintain the proper balance.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Gonna say you linked the wrong vid since there's no dissection. Great vid, though! Makes me want to hop a plane to go visit some of my gaming buddies in Melbourne.
Incidentally my current batch of MC4 from 2015 is great, but nowhere near the epic level of the pre-Bubble MC4s (~1994) which were the best I've had.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna say you linked the wrong vid since there's no dissection. Great vid, though! Makes me want to hop a plane to go visit some of my gaming buddies in Melbourne.
Incidentally my current batch of MC4 from 2015 is great, but nowhere near the epic level of the pre-Bubble MC4s (~1994) which were the best I've had.
You are correct! Sorry bout that.

This is the one with the dissection and break down in percentages...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You are correct! Sorry bout that.

This is the one with the dissection and break down in percentages...

Great video! I do this with every box I get, but I never compared two boxers from different years and thought about it in terms of "the blender had to up the ligero to get it to medium strength but lost the flavor complexity of the seco because that was the situation with that year's crop." Awesome insight into the blenders' troubles.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Tonight's trial blend is only 5 days old.
The leaves were as follows :
.5 Piloto Cubano seco
1 Mata Fina
.5 Dominican ligero
.5 Dominican binder (which is Piloto cubano )
Ecuador Shade Seco for wrapper.
The first couple drags were very sweet, maybe because I had already sipped my 4 Roses Small Batch on ice.
The flavors quickly turned to cinamon and graham cracker, not what I expected but good none the less.
By an inch and a half in, some spice joined the party, maybe nutmeg? I can't quite nail it down.
Anyway, half way in and I'm picking up a bit of breaddough on the drag followed by cinamon while blowing it back out. (I think I'll have to reproduce this blend!)
Retrohale brings pepper to my nose but still not on my tongue.
Uh-oh, my daughter found me on the porch, let's hope I can stay out here and finish this one!
After the retrohale, the next hit brings less cinamon and some pepper, still not much though. Plenty of thick chewy smoke, and the second drag after retrohaling is back to cinamon and spice.
It's hard to let this one rest between drags!
20170719_212701.jpg

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
.5 Piloto Cubano seco
1 Mata Fina
.5 Dominican ligero
The first couple drags were very sweet, maybe because I had already sipped my 4 Roses Small Batch on ice.
The flavors quickly turned to cinamon and graham cracker, not what I expected but good none the less.
By an inch and a half in, some spice joined the party, maybe nutmeg? I can't quite nail it down.
Anyway, half way in and I'm picking up a bit of breaddough on the drag followed by cinamon while blowing it back out. (I think I'll have to reproduce this blend!)
Uh-oh, my daughter found me on the porch, let's hope I can stay out here and finish this one!
After the retrohale, the next hit brings less cinamon and some pepper, still not much though. Plenty of thick chewy smoke, and the second drag after retrohaling is back to cinamon and spice.
View attachment 98722
Nice! This is my style blend! Mata fina front and center, then tweak the seco and ligero around it!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
.5 Piloto Cubano seco
1 Mata Fina
.5 Dominican ligero
View attachment 98722
Good night man, if home rolls are that good then I'm on a very slippery slope, indeed.

If one were to reproduce your blend would it be important to know where your leaves came from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Good night man, if home rolls are that good then I'm on a very slippery slope, indeed.

If one were to reproduce your blend would it be important to know where your leaves came from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, I think it does. I'm sorry I didn't include it before.
Mata Fina is from WLT
Everything else I think is from LO.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
.5 Piloto Cubano seco
1 Mata Fina
.5 Dominican ligero
View attachment 98722
Alright. Its high time I dip into the rolls you sent me. That one there sounds tasty