What's new

Blending Thread

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Columbian leaf had a definite 'barnyard' horse shittiness that I must admit I kind of liked. Many Cubans I've smoked had a similar barnyard aroma as well. I would imagine that some growers use manure and some use man made fertilizer. This could be the reason? Maybe.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
The Columbian leaf had a definite 'barnyard' horse shittiness that I must admit I kind of liked. Many Cubans I've smoked had a similar barnyard aroma as well. I would imagine that some growers use manure and some use man made fertilizer. This could be the reason? Maybe.
That's right, you're the other guy who likes this leaf :)

I should play with more seco, i love the aroma and flavor of the stuff we can buy

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hmmmmm, never even had a commercial infused stick.

I will say that @remixoligist does tea infusing with her rolls, maybe she has some insight

I'll just say... A) if it's not alcohol, I hate liquid infusions of any other type... they eventually have a weird liquidy somewhat sappy bitter back up in the final phase of the stick. Probably a result of varying retail humidor environment controls and maintenance. This problem is hit or miss but far too often for my liking. B) I don't infuse ;) I marinate... a very different process in which two dry products (teas or native american tobaccos alongside conventional whole leaf cigar tobacco) are rolled together and marry as though two mates sleeping in the same bed and nobody gets wet... ehemm. The tea is tasted more on the retrohale but subtly so on the draw. The two maintain their unique flavor profiles consistently from beginning to end with no sap crap.

Xox

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hmmmmm, never even had a commercial infused stick.

I will say that @remixoligist does tea infusing with her rolls, maybe she has some insight

I'll just say... A) if it's not alcohol, I hate liquid infusions of any other type... they eventually have a weird liquidy somewhat sappy bitter back up in the final phase of the stick. Probably a result of varying retail humidor environment controls and maintenance. This problem is hit or miss but far too often for my liking. B) I don't infuse ;) I marinate... a very different process in which two dry products (teas or native american tobaccos alongside conventional whole leaf cigar tobacco) are rolled together and marry as though two mates sleeping in the same bed and nobody gets wet... ehemm. The tea is tasted more on the retrohale but subtly so on the draw. The two maintain their unique flavor profiles consistently from beginning to end with no sap crap.

Xox
Sleeping in the same bed and nobody gets wet? Somebody done something wrong
Don't mind me...
Tisk Tisk there Hooligan... perhaps I should have said two very old folk lol... now we all know the stick doesn't get wet till the mouth goes to work on the draw... it's all about the great anticipation ;) I knew you missed me lol

Rating - 100%
41   0   0

Xox

Tisk Tisk there Hooligan... perhaps I should have said two very old folk lol... now we all know the stick doesn't get wet till the mouth goes to work on the draw... it's all about the great anticipation ;) I knew you missed me lol
I'm just saying, but you made it even dirtier with that last bit. Doesn't get wet till the mouth goes to work?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I imagine Columbian Leaf tastes like shit out of a skunks asshole... but some people like that. For me it isn't bad a sliver at a time... it's metallic after bite can be over powering... but blended well in minimum portions can cut that harsh shittiness ;)

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
If I had a recipe for Espresso Bean, I'd be trying to make those (@Hopduro ) but since I don't, I'm going for this blend:
Piloto Cubano Seco
Brazilian Viso
Mata Fina
Dominican Ligero
They'll be bound with Dominican binder, some wrapped in ECSS, some PA Oscuro.

I'm also working in some Honduran filler. May substitute in for the Piloto, or may split half a Piloto and half a Honduran leaf along the way.
So many options, happy blending brothers!

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
If I had a recipe for Espresso Bean, I'd be trying to make those (@Hopduro ) but since I don't, I'm going for this blend:
Piloto Cubano Seco
Brazilian Viso
Mata Fina
Dominican Ligero
They'll be bound with Dominican binder, some wrapped in ECSS, some PA Oscuro.

I'm also working in some Honduran filler. May substitute in for the Piloto, or may split half a Piloto and half a Honduran leaf along the way.
So many options, happy blending brothers!
Hmmmmm... I'd skip the viso and up the mata fina, just my 2 cents!

I'm not one for keeping blends a secret, that way we're wasting less time blending shit!

Btw, most of my blends are simple... less is more when you're learning a leaf.

Espresso bean (32 x 4.5):
1:1 mata fina to Colombian seco
Dominican binder
Any wrapper, i think those were SA or Ec. Ligero

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not one for keeping blends a secret, that way we're wasting less time blending shit!
This is a good point. Sharing information is how we can get better cigars and keep the home roller an enthusiastic hobbyist.

I'm still a hopeful believer that 'petuning' is the answer to creating better cigars. Imagine if each person in this forum performed different experiments how much faster we could evolve?

In the world of cooking, recipes are quick to be shared with the rest of the community. In the cigar world these discoveries are quickly held as secrets not to be divulged to anyone. I understand this is what makes a certain cigar unique but in this non-professional forum we should remain open to sharing information.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0

Dominican binder

Sounds good B, I'll make some with more MF, skipping the BV. I don't have Columbia seco so that one's out. I agree that simpler is better sometimes. My first success was 1.5 Nicaraguan Seco: 1.5 Nicaraguan Ligero. Made that based on @blisscigarco formulas for blending/weighting.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Sounds good B, I'll make some with more MF, skipping the BV. I don't have Columbia seco so that one's out. I agree that simpler is better sometimes. My first success was 1.5 Nicaraguan Seco: 1.5 Nicaraguan Ligero. Made that based on @blisscigarco formulas for blending/weighting.
Well dammit! Should have sent you some!

Yeah, if anyone wants my blends I'll post em up. One of these days I'll create a thread for successful or failed blends, all in one post!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Well dammit! Should have sent you some!

Yeah, if anyone wants my blends I'll post em up. One of these days I'll create a thread for successful or failed blends, all in one post!

You don't know what you don't know!
Thanks for sharing your recipe though, that Espresso Bean was a great little smoke.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0

Dominican binder

Where is the love button? I willingly share my blends as well for the same reason. I have also found that the majority of the time less is more but I still like having seco, viso, and ligero in a blend normally. 1:1:1 is my starting point and I tweak from there. A "winning blends" thread would be cool but taste is subjective and we don't always see eye to eye