What's new

Blending Thread

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've rolled a couple using the WLT habano seco filler as wrapper. It certainly burns well enough but it doesn't look pretty. It looks mottled or bruised. Maybe I rushed it or something because I thought the habano seco filler leaves were in good shape for wrappers until I tried this. What do you think of the WLT Nic Habano seco that you have?
I've also used that as a wrapper. In fact the last sticks I rolled, as mentioned in the "Botl rolls" thread, use that leaf as a wrapper. It burns great, tastes great, but like you said it produces a mottled stick. But actually I also did a rush job on those: all prep, binding, and rolls done over one lunchtime rather than my usual three days. I'm curious to have a go at working these leaves into better shape. Right now they're my otherwise-fave "wrapper," so I hope it can be done. These are those:

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I always forget about that stuff, even though I used the seco and ligero for like 1.5 years straight. My brain must have burned out on its existence.
The most important part, especially for newbies, is that it's so easy to work with. Stretchy, oily, and very forgiving. Plus that burn is top notch

Sent from the past on VeLoRoK's flip phone

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So I'm intrigued by the listed ingredients on these 601 Steel stogies:
20170322_200312.jpg
Has anyone home rolled this combo or tried these smokes? I may have to order a 5er and some more leaf to mimic them...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just dissected a Cuban Partagas No. 4 robusto. Going by leaf color and placement it appears to be one leaf volado(seco), 2 seco(viso), and one ligero. This is what I call a "2" blend, meaning dead-even balanced. 1+4+3 = 8.

8/4leafs = "2."

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So I'm intrigued by the listed ingredients on these 601 Steel stogies:
View attachment 93643
Has anyone home rolled this combo or tried these smokes? I may have to order a 5er and some more leaf to mimic them...
We should know in a few. Heading to the porch with this now.

Of course, they don't tell you which Nic. I used one small leaf WLT Nic Ligero, two small leaves Mata Fina, a half leaf San Aandres wrapper for binder, and a half leaf of the darker, smaller, & coarser LO Nic wrapper as wrapper (which I appear to have inadvertently wrapped inside out!). A crude quickie, but good enough for a taste test. Nothing dampened at all.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Not much to recommend it, as far as I am concerned. The predominant flavor was char. Like if you started with coffee, but removed all the oils.

But it may just be me. I'm just not much of a ligero guy. That may be where I went wrong. I should have tried this with a nic seco.

I've tried the whole gamut of ligeros, nic, dom, criollo, corojo, hab, whatever. Just can't get behind it. Visos are too bland, ligeros are too char, seco is just right.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Tried it again... nominally the same leaves, following the 601 spec; but very different leaves nevertheless, and with a very different result. First time round, remember, I used one small leaf WLT Nic Ligero, two small leaves Mata Fina, a half leaf San Andres wrapper for binder, and a half leaf of the darker, smaller, & coarser LO Nic wrapper as wrapper. This second time, I used one large leaf WLT Nic seco, three small leaves Mata Fina, a half leaf San Andres wrapper for binder, and a half leaf of the lighter, larger, & so much more delicate Nic wrapper I got from LO more recently. Here's the result:

Fired that up on the porch yesterday. Instantly recognized the flavor of it: it's a dead ringer for the Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8. I scored a box of those last Fall for give-aways. Still had a handful left. So I ran up to the office and pulled one out of the humidor and sparked it. Yep, it's a dead on clone for flavor. Here they are together:

As usual, I took a blurry picture. I dunno what it is with me and this phone.

Anyways, the only diff I could tell smoking these two side by side is the 8-5-8 has mellowed over time, whereas the quickie naturally has some rough edges from being ROTT.

I gotta say, I'm getting into this quickie rolling business. I'm not about to go all deluxestogie over it. Deluxe never molds, never ages, never even glues... just whips one up, licks it, and sparks it. But I am getting to like his minimalist approach.

Between tending R2knee2 after her second knee replacement and workitty work work work I haven't had the time to roll hardly a stinkin thing here for a couple weeks. Still need to embark on my Uppowoc Bob project. In honor of Bob (aka deluxestogie) who came up with the blend, it occurs to me that I should roll all of these Bobs unmolded. You can actually get a decently cylindrical shape on a quickie, without much practice, to tell the truth. Not so smooth a surface, but entirely smokable. In fact, the quickie you see above actually held up under fire much better than the Fuente did. That drew looser, but the wrapper split pretty soon, & it went out quickly if ignored; whereas my quickie drew just right, burnt even, and smoldered contentedly, all while I read yet another book about the Bounty.

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Café Oro blend with half a leaf of CBL filler and CBL wrapper.

Might be CBL overkill, but the leather and chocolate were on point!

Tomorrow, I'll compare it to the classic café Oro blend, but with only the CBL wrapper

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Blends?