What's new

Blending Thread

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Will do. Really I was trying to get a manageable spice and flavor like the Havana VI, But you guys are correct there are way too many variables.
I would try a habano wrapper with some corojo and criollo filler, probably some Nicaraguan habano seco as well to help round out and balance things out. Is it going to be a tat clone? I doubt it, but it should give you lots of flavor and a decent amount of spice. For even more spice you could try wrapping in San Andrés. I have been avoiding trying any new blends, but y'all have me itching to bust out some new stuff and see what happens.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
What priming is your Cameroon? I can't really say for sure as I have only used the criollo seco and the San Andrés wrapper out of those options. I imagine that with the primings listed you will have a pretty mild filler blend that may not stand up well against the flavor of the San Andrés.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What priming is your Cameroon? I can't really say for sure as I have only used the criollo seco and the San Andrés wrapper out of those options. I imagine that with the primings listed you will have a pretty mild filler blend that may not stand up well against the flavor of the San Andrés.
Well I'm trying to get the following flavors and it may just be too much to ask for one cigar: Cedar, Tea, White pepper, Oak, Leather. The tea is the wild card

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@blisscigarco @BrewinHooligan @Hopduro @webmost
What do yall think of this blend I've been rattling around
Filler: Criollo seco, Nicaraguan Volado, Cameroon
Binder: Sumatra
Wrapper: San Andreas
My first thoughts, which are probably useless: Criollo seco (WLT?) = light chocolatey-creamy. Which Nic Volado? What Cameroon? I haven't liked any of the Sumatras. They taste green and herbal. But a high-quality Ec Sumatra is a nice leaf I wish I could get. Which San Andreas? The MAS I've tried from the retailers was a low-quality leaf with maybe mild chocolate but not as good as the chocolate in the PBL offerings....

Tell you what, I think I am onto something with these WLT Nic Habano blends I've been working on. This is producing a legit spicy Nic cigar. I'm going to try to score some NHV and see what happens with that... sucks I have to use seco filler for a wrapper, tho....

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My first thoughts, which are probably useless: Criollo seco (WLT?) = light chocolatey-creamy. Which Nic Volado? What Cameroon? I haven't liked any of the Sumatras. They taste green and herbal. But a high-quality Ec Sumatra is a nice leaf I wish I could get. Which San Andreas? The MAS I've tried from the retailers was a low-quality leaf with maybe mild chocolate but not as good as the chocolate in the PBL offerings....

Tell you what, I think I am onto something with these WLT Nic Habano blends I've been working on. This is producing a legit spicy Nic cigar. I'm going to try to score some NHV and see what happens with that... sucks I have to use seco filler for a wrapper, tho....
Lol I've only ever worked with the LO tobacco. And really only know about LO and WLT as a source. I've heard other names on here. What about a thread listing links for tobacco sources for reference? or is there one already?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Lol I've only ever worked with the LO tobacco. And really only know about LO and WLT as a source. I've heard other names on here. What about a thread listing links for tobacco sources for reference? or is there one already?
I don't find "Nic volado" at LO. Do you mean the Dom Volado, or the Nic Seco?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This cameroon? I've also one used Seco in my filler. Today marks one month of rolling.
https://www.leafonly.com/cigar-tobacco-leaf/tobacco-leaves/cameroon-tobacco-leaf-seco-cigar-filler
Who knows, man. I've used that listed item years ago and made some good sticks and some sticks that sucked ass. You just never know what you're gonna get, order to order. That's one good thing about LO, is those quarter-pounders.

One thing you're gonna learn on this excellent adventure is that finding good leaf and matching blends you like can be a little bit tougher than you've been lead to believe. We want to buy into the hype, "This is the exact same leaf used by top brands in their major awesome sticks!" Lol. :cigar::dead:

Rating - 100%
6   0   0

It's a slumgullion.

I say for the first couple years try to limit yourself to 3 complementary leaves at most. For instance, from the above, try the Criollo seco and Nic volado bound & wrapped in San Andreas. Now you've got flavors you can identify and control. You might not like it, so you might say "I'm gonna try corojo instead of criollo". That teaches you something. But if you have five leaves in your stew, where do you start? How do you identify which leaf is not playing nice with the others? Too many variables.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you can take Web's above words deeply to heart you will do so much better and save so much wasted effort.

Remember, the vast range of Cuban cigars is made from essentially one kind of leaf: some variety of Corojo. The vast range of Nic cigars is made from essentially two kinds of leaves: Corojo and Criollo.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Listen, Bliss and I were talking about that wonderfully aromatic Habano 2000 wrapper. Just cannot get it to burn as a wrapper. But I can't stand the thought of throwing it out, cause it's so smellicious. So we were talking about surrounding it with some burny stuff, in other words as a filler. So here's what I tried this weekend. Came out wonderful.

First, ^^ this parejo ^^, a half leaf H2k rolled up entubado; then surrounded by 2 other leaves of corojo viso, also tubed up; then one piloto surrounding the others; that double bound tight using Butcher's Kentucky Sumatra; all wrapped in Ecuador shade seco. Kinda breaks the very advice I just gave above. But what I was doing, I was adapting a deluxestogie recommendation from the FTT forum of how to replicate a typical Cuban. Absolutely excellent. I am going to stash a box of these parejos and call them Uppowoc Bobs ... just cause the name is so very irresistible. You can see the tube of H2k in the center. Makes a good draw and keeps it burning. I made sure to set it down several minutes at a time, to guarantee it burnt well. I was testing three cigars at once, plus doing garage chores. Good burn, great subtle flavor. Lookit the different colors as the different layers burn.

The other was simply a half leaf of this H2k surrounded by two leaves of Dom volado to make it burn. bound in a leaf of Jorge binder, and wrapped in dark Nicaraguan. This made the most delicious little perfecto you could possibly imagine. Totally batchworthy. I dunno what to call these. Had a real spice kick the other didn't.

Had a very productive weekend far as finding new good blends. Blends are more elusive, so stumbling onto one is more valuable work than rolling batches of known quality. Good blends are flat out hard to find.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
If you can take Web's above words deeply to heart you will do so much better and save so much wasted effort.

Remember, the vast range of Cuban cigars is made from essentially one kind of leaf: some variety of Corojo. The vast range of Nic cigars is made from essentially two kinds of leaves: Corojo and Criollo.
This right here is golden advice. And as a scientist, it's the rules i will forever follow. Start simple and change one thing at a time.

I absolutely love the simplest blend i came up with: Colombian seco and Mata fina. Earthy, horseshitty, rich coffee, and that is just a cheroot with a dominican binder! Add a wrapper and now you've changed everything. San andreas adds some spice and leather. Mata fina adds a creamy latte sweetness. Ec habano rounds out the flavors and accents the coffee.

And I'm not even done messing with the wrappers on that blend! Or even the binder now!

Try to figure out what the leaf is doing in your blend, or there's no reason to leave it in there.

Sent from the past on VeLoRoK's flip phone

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Been thinking. So, the Havana VI lists binder and filler as Nica, and wrapper as ec. "habano rosado."
Now, I am soon taking possession of some Nic Habano viso and ligero from Webmost to compliment the seco he already gave me, which was producing a nice mild spice good-quality stick. So I'd say a good start at this blend would be soemthing like what I'll be trying when I get that leaf.
Next is the wrapper, which we can basically say is Ecuador Habano. This stuff is hard to get as a good wrapper right now, as far as I know. You can get it from Jorge, but it's too dark and too strong, not good. You can get an Ec. Maduro from WLT, but it's probably broadleaf, not Habano, and doesn't burn well or taste good, at least the batch I bought. WLT also sells an H2K, which is an Ecuador Habano. I have just today rolled some WLT Nica habano filler in that. The problem is, I have not yet come across a batch of that stuff that burns well enough to be used as a wrapper. But let's see what happens. As I told Web, my sticks have been burning well lately and maybe I'll get lucky. But probably not. I will say that IF that H2K decides to burn for no good reason, then wrapping that around some WLT Nica Habano filler would be as good as any place to start experimenting. And as it so happens, I am doing just that now, and will let ya know.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Been thinking. So, the Havana VI lists binder and filler as Nica, and wrapper as ec. "habano rosado."
Now, I am soon taking possession of some Nic Habano viso and ligero from Webmost to compliment the seco he already gave me, which was producing a nice mild spice good-quality stick. So I'd say a good start at this blend would be soemthing like what I'll be trying when I get that leaf.
Next is the wrapper, which we can basically say is Ecuador Habano. This stuff is hard to get as a good wrapper right now, as far as I know. You can get it from Jorge, but it's too dark and too strong, not good. You can get an Ec. Maduro from WLT, but it's probably broadleaf, not Habano, and doesn't burn well or taste good, at least the batch I bought. WLT also sells an H2K, which is an Ecuador Habano. I have just today rolled some WLT Nica habano filler in that. The problem is, I have not yet come across a batch of that stuff that burns well enough to be used as a wrapper. But let's see what happens. As I told Web, my sticks have been burning well lately and maybe I'll get lucky. But probably not. I will say that IF that H2K decides to burn for no good reason, then wrapping that around some WLT Nica Habano filler would be as good as any place to start experimenting. And as it so happens, I am doing just that now, and will let ya know.
The Ecuadorian habano I've been using from LO is really good imo. If you want to try before you buy I'm your huckleberry

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I've rolled a couple using the WLT habano seco filler as wrapper. It certainly burns well enough but it doesn't look pretty. It looks mottled or bruised. Maybe I rushed it or something because I thought the habano seco filler leaves were in good shape for wrappers until I tried this. What do you think of the WLT Nic Habano seco that you have?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The Ecuadorian habano I've been using from LO is really good imo. If you want to try before you buy I'm your huckleberry
This is true as far as wrapper quality. All thin, flexible, and attractive leaves.
However, there's a banana step in flavor between the seco, viso, and ligero of that wrapper.

I'm all over the LO Ec Hab shade seco. Here's a three leaf blend for you LuckyAce: mata fina and piloto bound and wrapped in half a leaf of that LO Ec shade H2k seco. The leaves are plenty large enough so that after you cut out a strip from your half leaf for wrapper, you have enough left over to bind the next one. I stashed a box of perfectos like this in January which I'm looking forward to burning for my birthday in July. I call them matalotos, and I've burnt thru batch after batch of them. I've sent dozens to BOTLs at cigar.com, & they like 'em too. Takes just two and a half leaves to make one, if the leaves are decent size: 1 mata, one piloto, one half H2k wrapper.

Where's our Queen of Cigar Bling, by the way? She loved the mataloto when she was over here last year. Haven't heard a word from her for a while.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is true as far as wrapper quality. All thin, flexible, and attractive leaves.
However, there's a banana step in flavor between the seco, viso, and ligero of that wrapper.

I'm all over the LO Ec Hab shade seco. Here's a three leaf blend for you LuckyAce: mata fina and piloto bound a wrapped in half a leaf of that LO Ec shade H2k seco. The leaves are plenty large enough so that after you cut out a strip from your half leaf for wrapper, you have enough left over to bind the next one. I stashed a box of perfectos like this in January which I'm looking forward to burning for my birthday in July. I call them matalotos, and I've burnt thru batch after batch of them. I've sent dozens to BOTLs at cigar.com, & they like 'em too. Takes just two and a half leaves to make one, if the leaves are decent size: 1 mata, one piloto, one half H2k wrapper.

Where's our Queen of Cigar Bling, by the way? She loved the mataloto when she was over here last year. Haven't heard a word from her for a while.
Thanks! I'll give this a try