What's new

botls' rolls

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

@Marc L rolls an amazing cigar. Beautiful, and perfect draw. Mild/medium from start to finish; wood, hay, some sweetness with the smallest touch of spice.
That sounds like it turned out okay. I hope it was to your liking. I wish I could tell you what was in it.. I do think that was a Criollo wrapper though. A lot of them are somewhat of a mystery to me. I do like it that way.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Today I fired up this Hooligan HandRoll named Cherry Bomb:

I like these coronitos. Maybe 42 rg, 5". Hard to roll something small and skinny and still get it to draw well. This was a touch tight. But extremely flavorful. A real nubber. I believe BH says criollo ligero, corojo viso, wrapped in Ec hab seco. Dunno what proportions nor what binder. Damn good.
Another great Cigar along w the Marshmallow m all of Jonathan's great handrolls, I'm on the list for next batch in January:cigar::finger:

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Sometime ago @Marc L sent me a very generous sample of his home rolls. I've been slowly smoking down the stash, having now smoked a bit over half of what he sent. If I were to choose one word to describe his cigars, I would choose:

elegant

@Marc L rolls beautiful cigars that remind me of what a high-end smoke used to be, before boutique makers like Tatuaje turned the market to full power, pepper bombs. The construction is better then almost any other cigar made. I haven't had one that needed correction or failed to burn properly. His blends taste in comparison to the highest end, limited edition Davidoff and AVO I've smoked.

Of his cigars I've smoked, without question my favorite was the short belicoso pictured in my profile. If possible, I'd have a life time supply of those in my collection. Absolutely the best cigar I've smoked.

If you ever get the chance to smoke one of his cigars, do. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Got a wild hair and spent my lunchtime today on an interesting(?) project.

Web recently sent me a pound each of WLT Nic Habano seco, Corojo viso, and piloto Cubano ligero. My burn and aroma tests indicated the following: NHS: burns great, smells of cigarette butts. Corojo viso: doesn't burn after flame is removed, but smells decent while flame is applied. Piloto Cubano ligero: good burn and smell. Possibly more mild than WLT's "Dominican ligero." Although they might actually be the same leaf.

Aroma doesn't give you as much a clue to flavor as you'd hope, so what I decided to do was roll a "Nic puro," using the NHS for filler, binder, and wrapper. So I zapped a few "wrapper" leaves with h20 and got bunching. Then I decided to put half a leaf of the viso in one of the bunches; and half a leaf of ligero in another; and then half a leaf of each, plus a half leaf of WLT "Mata Fina 2013 crop," of which I had a sample bag, in the fourth. The MF2013 tested both a poor burn and bad smell (burning rubber). All four of the bunches featured 3 whole leaves of the NHS, all bound and wrapped in the NHS. Boy, they ain't pretty.

I'll let them dry overnight, put ID labels on'em, and smoke'em a week hence.

So here's a contest: Please guess two things: 1) Will any of them not suck; 2) which will be best or least bad.

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0

Web recently sent me a pound each of WLT Nic Habano seco, Corojo viso, and piloto Cubano ligero. My burn and aroma tests indicated the following: NHS: burns great, smells of cigarette butts. Corojo viso: doesn't burn after flame is removed, but smells decent while flame is applied. Piloto Cubano ligero: good burn and smell. Possibly more mild than WLT's "Dominican ligero." Although they might actually be the same leaf.

Aroma doesn't give you as much a clue to flavor as you'd hope, so what I decided to do was roll a "Nic puro," using the NHS for filler, binder, and wrapper. So I zapped a few "wrapper" leaves with h20 and got bunching. Then I decided to put half a leaf of the viso in one of the bunches; and half a leaf of ligero in another; and then half a leaf of each, plus a half leaf of WLT "Mata Fina 2013 crop," of which I had a sample bag, in the fourth. The MF2013 tested both a poor burn and bad smell (burning rubber). All four of the bunches featured 3 whole leaves of the NHS, all bound and wrapped in the NHS. Boy, they ain't pretty.

So here's a contest: Please guess two things: 1) Will any of them not suck; 2) which will be best or least bad.

Thanks!
The one that has a half leaf of each should be good or at least "suck the least"

Rating - 100%
11   0   0

Thanks!
I've really enjoyed the NHS & Mata Fina combined with Criollo ligero so I will guess the one with all four will be best. I haven't enjoyed the Corojo viso as much and started leaving it out, letting the Mata Fina take its place.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've really enjoyed the NHS & Mata Fina combined with Criollo ligero so I will guess the one with all four will be best. I haven't enjoyed the Corojo viso as much and started leaving it out, letting the Mata Fina take its place.
All right, thanks for your vote. Ya know, a couple years ago the Corojo Viso was part of my home blend, a really great pro-tasting stick. But the batch I have now I'm not sure has aged very well. I wonder if it's from the same crop or not.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
All right, thanks for your vote. Ya know, a couple years ago the Corojo Viso was part of my home blend, a really great pro-tasting stick. But the batch I have now I'm not sure has aged very well. I wonder if it's from the same crop or not.
It would be interesting to know. My MF label was printed as 2013 crop but pen marked over wrote as 2010. The Corojo viso didn't have any such identifiers that I could see.