What's new

botls' rolls

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's actually my marshmallow blend wrapped in Sumatra grown by a fella in Texas. A half leaf of Jorge ligero in there, but no more than that is his. I get a salted pistachio flavor from that one but was limited on the Sumatra I had and haven't found any more so you got one of my last two.
How was this Sumatra leaf?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It would be interesting to know. My MF label was printed as 2013 crop but pen marked over wrote as 2010. The Corojo viso didn't have any such identifiers that I could see.
Hm. How does that MF2010 burn and smell? My 2013 is a pretty poor on both accounts.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hm. How does that MF2010 burn and smell? My 2013 is a pretty poor on both accounts.
I wish I had a good answer. I had no problems with burning in cheroot form nor any of the blends I tested. As for testing the leaf with a flame, I've not done that. It's something I should probably practice and learn. The 2010 MF is the wrinkliest and sandiest leaf I've encountered but I like it enough to order again soon as I'm almost out.
Edit: I hope the 2013 crop is as good! I did order this batch from the most recent stock of WLT inventory.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I wish I had a good answer. I had no problems with burning in cheroot form nor any of the blends I tested. As for testing the leaf with a flame, I've not done that. It's something I should probably practice and learn. The 2010 MF is the wrinkliest and sandiest leaf I've encountered but I like it enough to order again soon as I'm almost out.
Edit: I hope the 2013 crop is as good! I did order this batch from the most recent stock of WLT inventory.
Okay, thanks.

Yeah, I could never stick a leaf in a blend without knowing its aroma and burn qualities. If it smells bad it'll usually ruin the blend; and if it doesn't burn but smells good then it's gotta be slotted into the center of the bunch somehow. If it burns great it's gotta be slotted towards the perimeter.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
if it doesn't burn but smells good then it's gotta be slotted into the center of the bunch somehow. If it burns great it's gotta be slotted towards the perimeter.
That's what I'm trying now. I can't stand the thought of wasting that H2k like I sent you. It has such an intense chocolate and spice odor to it that I just crave. It just won't burn for mje. So today I'm rolling test quickies with a half leaf of that H2k surrounded by volado.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That's what I'm trying now. I can't stand the thought of wasting that H2k like I sent you. It has such an intense chocolate and spice odor to it that I just crave. It just won't burn for mje. So today I'm rolling test quickies with a half leaf of that H2k surrounded by volado.
That's what I did with that Honduran Corojo wrapper that wouldn't burn. Basically used it as ligero. One tube in the middle of three burny secos. Problem solved.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Here's one of these test quickies wrapped in Ec Shade Hab:

I am a big fan of the habanos. I know you're not. Love the flavor. Don't get me wrong -- I do love a good CT shade, too. But these are real flavorful. I love to roll a habano leaf around in my mouth when I smoke.

I find that the heads on my quickies tend to be soft. Need to pay more attention to filling up that top end.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Today's contestant, the seco+viso:

This was also excellent, but definitely different than the puro. Whereas the puro was basically smooth kitchen spice and Cohiba-esque, this had more fricative alkaline "nose tickle" to it, for the most part. It also never had any barnyard notes, which the puro had for a few minutes in the middle. This was heavier bodied with more mouth feel. It also had an occasional gentle black pepper note that was absent in the puro. If the puro was more Cuban, this one was more what I would call "popular domestic."

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
All righty. This phase is over. The seco+ligero was disgusting. I had to snuff it after 2 inches. Burnt rubber, soap, and something else, maybe burning cotton or paper. Yum. So I moved onto the seco+viso+ligero+mata fina. Obviously this one was handicapped by the presence of the disaster piloto cubano ligero, but since it was a small % of the overall leaf, it was smoke-able. There was some ammonia, which I think was coming from the mata fina. And definitely some of that sweetness that people seem to enjoy in that leaf, that "maple syrup." Not really my cuppa, but not bad either. My next steps are to make a seco+mata fina, and a seco+viso+mata fina. So far I give the nod to the seco+viso. Here's the seco+viso+ligero+mf robusto: