Votes: 35 17.8%
  • Both

Votes: 109 55.3%

• Total voters

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I don't think length of time has anything to do with it. I know guys at my local shop that have been smoking cigars for 20+ years that couldn't tell you country of origin of their favorite cigars. Then I know guys like...well...me...that have jumped in with both feet, and in 3 years has developed what I think is a pretty good knowledge. Does that make him more of a "true cigar guy" than me?
I don't doubt that there are guys like the one you described, but on the whole, I do think length of time is a factor. I have seen lots of guys (I don't know you, so this isn't using you as an example) jump in head first, think they know it all, and 6 months or a year later they are selling their humidors and all their cigars. There is also undeniably a difference in the experience of a 30 year cigar smoker over a 3 year cigar smoker. We can agree to disagree, but that's my opinion, and nothing you have said has altered it. No offense intended.

slave2theaxe

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Man...I really stirred up a hornets nest with this one...:argue:lol

This wasn't meant to be a "which is better" or "who is right" topic...I was just curious if you guys smoked one, the other, or both. As was stated earlier...it was a personal preference question...it's IMPOSSIBLE to be right or wrong with this type of question.

:peckkiss:Can't we all just get along?:kissforeh lol

Bsneed51

Lock and Load
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't doubt that there are guys like the one you described, but on the whole, I do think length of time is a factor. I have seen lots of guys (I don't know you, so this isn't using you as an example) jump in head first, think they know it all, and 6 months or a year later they are selling their humidors and all their cigars. There is also undeniably a difference in the experience of a 30 year cigar smoker over a 3 year cigar smoker. We can agree to disagree, but that's my opinion, and nothing you have said has altered it. No offense intended.
Not offended at all. I will agree with you that someone who has been at this passionately for years will know more than I will, I just don't think it's accurate to say unless you've been in this hobby X number of years, you're not a true enthusiast, and don't know your stuff. That's all I was getting at.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
My take is this...everyone has different tastes. In my experience I like 'em both. Some days I might feel like a LP T52 hits the spot, other days a DPG Blue, while still other days may call for an ISOM. Just depends on my mood. To say that CC are better than NC is, these days, just not accurate. I've had some very good cigars from both realms and from what I can tell the quality is equally as good or maybe slightly better in NC. Just my $0.02 :dunno:.

Dan
I couldn't agree more.

I'll smoke both, because one of them is going to strike my mood; if I'm in the mood for a good medium cigar, I'll reach for a Partagas Serie D No. 4 over a Master Blend 3 anyday. If I'm in the mood for a full-bodied, knock my socks off powerful cigar, I'm obviously going to reach for a Dirty Rat over anything out of Cuba.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Fair truth, bro. Then again, we probably all know the guys who have been smoking for decades that wouldn't know a good stick if it sat on their lap and wiggled. :halfgrinw
......I've seen a few blind tastings prove what you've said.....LOL. I feel that both nc/cc have a lot to offer.....imho.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Not offended at all. I will agree with you that someone who has been at this passionately for years will know more than I will, I just don't think it's accurate to say unless you've been in this hobby X number of years, you're not a true enthusiast, and don't know your stuff. That's all I was getting at.
Absolutely, I know I was loving cigars and trying to absorb as much as I could early into the addiction.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some good CCs out there, but I would grab a Nicaraguan 95% of the time if not more. But just like A holes, everybody has a opinion ha ha.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I like NCs every now and then as a change of pace cigar, but I definitely prefer CCs.

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
MY TURN you cranky bunch.
I personally believe that more people AROUND the world smoke cubans due to the fact that they have been around for over a century. If Nica and Cuba both started producing cigar 15 years ago, for example, I do believe you would find a greater ratio between the two throughout the world. Since CC's have been around for so long, the NC's are playing catch up. Now you can use Joya's as an example of being around in the 70's but those were shut down for a long time.
This is in no way an arguement for flavor, just the whole "around the world one is prefered". Is Honda\Nissan prefered over domestic? Thats the same type question that has no answer, but the "big three" had a monopoly before those came along and now they are facing hard times due to quality issues...just like CC's are going to run into unless they stop making boxes of cigars that you get 1-3 unsmokable sticks in.
I love both, but an arguement doesnt need to ensue about your own personal preferance.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I can find pleasure in both but money plays into it in a big way which leans me more toward CC's. A quick comparison between my favorites from both "worlds", do the math.

A box of 25 BBFs $190 compared to a box of 24 Liga Privada T52 - Belicoso $267
A box of 25 RASS $170 compared to a cab of 50 Illusione Epernay Le Ferme - $425

sonarman

Hey Skimmer!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Well, a guy who has been smoking cigars for 30 years might have a more experienced and educated background with cigars than someone who has been smoking them for 6 months? :wtf:
I can see your point. I can also now see the what I have been missing. To answer the question at hand I started off as a mild to medium smoker, then went to the Full scale. After that I went back to a medium profile because of the FLAVORS that I found lacking in my fuller bodied smokes. Then I smoked a PSD4, and well I'm pleased as punch with the complexity. Will I ever swear off NC's? Probably not, am I as concerned by chasing all the HTF N.C's now? Not one bit, there is a new game in town for me and its for the most part cheaper but and more rewarding. Just my 2 cents.

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Ive had a few CC's, not a lot, but im running about 50% on problems with them.

Plugged, tunnelled, canoed, relights.
(Now I havent been through a box - were talking at most 6-7 in the last 3 years).

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
I smoke an equal amount of NC's, CC's, and Dominicans. I don't really prefer any over the other. I know what brands bring the flavor profile I want at any particular moment and I just go with that. My favorite cigar of all time is a CC, but my favorite cigar of this moment is a brazilian puro. I am all over the place.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Those who truly appreciated cigars would find great sticks from both CC and NC that they enjoyed.
Well said.

It isn't often I have a cigar I dislike. Yet I read reviews from people where 9/10 of their reviews are negative. Here's an idea, maybe you don't really like cigars?

I can find enjoyment out of most cigars, though it may not be ideal it's still enjoyable.

:tazerblas pew pew pew