Votes: 35 17.8%
  • Both

Votes: 109 55.3%

• Total voters

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
While in Mexico last January, I picked up a box of Cuban Cohibas. I hadn't (and still haven't) completely developed my palette yet, but they were obviously good cigars. If the ban were lifted right now and I could get ahold of CCs, I'd probably still hold off. I'd want to really get an appreciation for NCs (and further narrow my palette) then maybe try CCs and get the full experience

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I can't really offer too much of an opinion here, as I've never had a Cuban... how on Earth do you get one of them???
From what I understand, there are various sites that will ship them to you regardless of your US address.

Outside of that I am guessing you can trade with people on here or just take a vacation to another country :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While in Mexico last January, I picked up a box of Cuban Cohibas. I hadn't (and still haven't) completely developed my palette yet, but they were obviously good cigars. If the ban were lifted right now and I could get ahold of CCs, I'd probably still hold off. I'd want to really get an appreciation for NCs (and further narrow my palette) then maybe try CCs and get the full experience
Chances are that if you picked up a box in Mexico that you still have not smoked a CC.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Chances are that if you picked up a box in Mexico that you still have not smoked a CC.
I didn't buy them from a "shady" cigar dealer. The store was actually quite nice. Of course, outside of that I have nothing to go by. Are counterfits really that common even when you're not trying to get illegal ones back in the states?

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I recently got into smoking CCs after years of smoking only NCs. I love full flavor full body cigars but after smoking various CCs I have to admit I'm starting to like light/med much better. I can pick up bit more flavors smoking lighter smokes and CCs have a distinct flavor that I don't get from NC cigars.

Another reason I like CCs are the prices. Limited, HTF, hot release NCs cost $10+ and thats if you can find them. You can get CCs with age for less. I'm not talking about Behikes or Esplendidos but my fav CCs cost in the $4-5 range and readily available.

I still buy both and will continue to smoke both. Right now tho, I tend to grab CCs more often.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I can't really offer too much of an opinion here, as I've never had a Cuban... how on Earth do you get one of them???
As per Habano Guidelines:

Please do not discuss about sources, retailers or vendors. Asking for sources on the forum is considered bad etiquette and frowned upon. If you are in search of reliable and proven retailers, please look no further than our site sponsors. If you wish to inquire about a certain retailer, please do so privately. Thanks!
Hope this helps.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I smoke a mix of both, probably 70 cuban to 30 non cuban.
I tend to enjoy balance and complexity of cubans, which is lacking to me in many NCs power bombs.
With that said there are many NCs that I absolutely love as much as my favorite cubans, like many illusiones and tats that I have.

38-50

rg
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
It's been mentioned and seems to be generally accepted that NC's are not suited for long term aging. I have a hard time believing this. I've smoked some 30 year old Dominicans that, to my taste, are significantly better than anything being produced currently with Dominican tobacco. Maybe the crop is different now, or the blending styles have changed over the years, but I would be leary of counting out all NC's for aging potential. I am especially interested to see what becomes of some of the fuller flavored spicy/sweet Nicaraguan puros.

As for the debate at hand, I would have to put myself in the both category. I enjoy the flavors produced by all the various tobacco growing countries including but not limited to: Cuba, Nicaragua, Honduras, Brazil, Costa Rica, Ecuador, USA, and maybe least of all, the aforementioned Dominican Republic. Quality control is deffinitely a benefit of NC's. An educated smoker can rely on any number of bargain, mid priced, and premium NC's for uniformity, draw, burn performance, and appearance. On the other hand, there is no doubt in my mind that the best cigars ever made were made in Cuba. I think most "real cigar smokers" would prefer to be smoking 20 year old Cubans on the daily.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
It's been mentioned and seems to be generally accepted that NC's are not suited for long term aging. I have a hard time believing this. I've smoked some 30 year old Dominicans that, to my taste, are significantly better than anything being produced currently with Dominican tobacco. Maybe the crop is different now, or the blending styles have changed over the years, but I would be leary of counting out all NC's for aging potential. I am especially interested to see what becomes of some of the fuller flavored spicy/sweet Nicaraguan puros.

As for the debate at hand, I would have to put myself in the both category. I enjoy the flavors produced by all the various tobacco growing countries including but not limited to: Cuba, Nicaragua, Honduras, Brazil, Costa Rica, Ecuador, USA, and maybe least of all, the aforementioned Dominican Republic. Quality control is deffinitely a benefit of NC's. An educated smoker can rely on any number of bargain, mid priced, and premium NC's for uniformity, draw, burn performance, and appearance. On the other hand, there is no doubt in my mind that the best cigars ever made were made in Cuba. I think most "real cigar smokers" would prefer to be smoking 20 year old Cubans on the daily.
I find it funny that people would say NC's of any kind are not suitable for aging. As far as I concerned I prefer most cigars aged regardless of origin. Tats and illusione seem to come alive with age. Many people will swear by aged opus as well. I cannot say I have I have real long term aged NC's but some
fuente's as old 12. They were not the greatest but 898's aren't my favourites. VSR rounds seem to be doing quite well. While my top cigars have always bee Cuban there are tons of great NC's that I am sure will age well biggest thing being they are usually better aged from the factory so require less but don't think that means they will not get better.
Posted via Mobile Device

Josh.CHI

The Dude abides
Rating - 81.8%
10   2   0
+1

there has only been a handful I disliked. there may have been burn issues or not quite my flavor profile but cigars are good

Well said.

It isn't often I have a cigar I dislike. Yet I read reviews from people where 9/10 of their reviews are negative. Here's an idea, maybe you don't really like cigars?

I can find enjoyment out of most cigars, though it may not be ideal it's still enjoyable.

:tazerblas pew pew pew

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I find it funny that people would say NC's of any kind are not suitable for aging. As far as I concerned I prefer most cigars aged regardless of origin. Tats and illusione seem to come alive with age. Many people will swear by aged opus as well. I cannot say I have I have real long term aged NC's but some
fuente's as old 12. They were not the greatest but 898's aren't my favourites. VSR rounds seem to be doing quite well. While my top cigars have always bee Cuban there are tons of great NC's that I am sure will age well biggest thing being they are usually better aged from the factory so require less but don't think that means they will not get better.
Posted via Mobile Device

Aaron, and perhaps this would make a better thread on its own, but do you not think that the fact that NC's tend to be aged both as leaf and as rolled cigars prior to shipping affects HOW they age, if not their suitability for aging?

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
really i just got started into smoking. Just got my first humi. Inside it has both cc and nc. for me right now i want to have a diverse humi so i can enjoy all flavours. i like both

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I thoroughly enjoy both. It depends on my mood.. Sometimes I need a Padron, Fuente or Tat.. As a morning smoke is would always take a CC, preferably a RyJ Short Churchill.:awholelot

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I can only speak from my own experience, which is, in the grand schemata, limited.

For the limited amount of time I have been smoking, I have smoked a wide variety of stuff, both NC and CC. My first experience with CCs were a bad run. Plugged, the wrong brands too young, etc.

Then I smoked a string of perfect CCs. Timing, construction, and age were all excellent. The common denominator given the different flavor profiles? QUALITY of tobacco! It's overwhelming! I smoked a NC and I think, "hmm, this is good, flavorful and I start thinking critically. The response to a good/great CC is almost always more visceral to the point of being overwhelmed. Smoke a great CC and it will change you.

Finally, why is it when I smoke a great NC, I always seem to say or think, "wow, this is like a Cuban?" Hmmmmm.....

Pete's smokes are the ones that usually do that to me. Not all of them, but the ones that have...BLAMO!

Last edited: