What's new

China Hutch Humidor Conversion with Pics!

shadowcam

BoM April '14
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Unreal man. These are some very impressive home builds. Might have a few orders for China hutch humis pretty soon.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I should give a little update on the project. Getting very close to being done! Should be moving it into the house one day next week!!!!

(82) A lot of you are going to call sacralidge on this for painting a beautiful solid wood hutch, just, as I did! I love natural wood myself, as well. My wife however, wanted it painted to match the kitchen in which it will sit. So, in order to be able to bring it into the house I thought that was a small trade. I got my Humie and she got the color she wanted LOL! However after getting it almost done I really like it better painted than the natural wood! Everyone has there opinions, so lets hear yours!

First coat of Slate Gray Paint.

(83) First round of antiquing glaze applied. The glaze gives the appearance of old weathered wood.

(84) Painting and glazing complete, all hardware reinstalled, doors and drawers back on, as well, as and edges sanded a little to mimic wear and tear on the cabinet. All that is left to do is reinstall the lock in the door and wax the entire cabinet. Will be moving it into the house sometime this week.

This is a bitter sweet post for me. I'm happy, as heck to be almost done with it, but I will miss working on it a little every evening LOL! Might be time to start on a walk-in? The next post will be the last after I have it in its final resting place and loaded up with smokes! I figure it will take three to four weeks to season up enough to start loading. I can't wait!!!!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, what everyone has been waiting for including myself LOL! The "Chinador" is all loaded up and working flawlessly!

(85) Just brought into the house and the seasoning begins!

(86) Finally, the money shots! All loaded up and working great!!! The next few pics were taken under a 6,000K Photographers Studio Light.

(87) Looks washed out in the pics, but in person the LED's just give off a very soft white glow. I have, however found out that the lights can only be used for very short periods of time because they raise the internal temp by 5-10 degrees depending on the outside temps. Kind of a bummer, as it looks fantastic with them on.

(88) The last few pics were taken under regular incandescent light.

Well, that's it folks! It has been a very fun build and I couldn't be more happy with the final results! If anyone is in the process or thinking about doing something like this I would encourage you to go for it and custom retrofit or build something that can be handed down for generations to come that is as good or better than anything that can be bought pre-fab. If anyone should have any questions please feel free to message me, kybluecollar@yahoo.com Thanks for following the thread and thanks for all the great comments along the way!

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Very, Very cool.

If I ever can afford a collection to justify something like this, I'll be following your footsteps.

Really neat. Love it.

Was not happy when I saw you painted it, but with the glaze, it works.

Last edited: