What's new

Coffee Roasting

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Roasted some Panama Boquete Camiseta Estate that I got from Sweet Marias. I had a sample pound of this from my initial orders from them - loved the first pound so much bought a fiver.

However I tried using some of the different roast profiles on the Behmor and was not happy with the results at all! First roast using the sample was a P1 preset - highest roasting temperature and ramps up fastest. When I used this one, the coffee was fantastic.

This time I used the P2 and P4 presets. The temperature is supposed to ramp up slower and the roast is supposed to take longer. They were definiately longer, and they both definitely made it through 1st crack, but these roasts are a very far cry from when I did it on P1. Going to try another P1 with this bean and see if it gets back to what I was hoping for.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Roasted some Panama Boquete Camiseta Estate that I got from Sweet Marias. I had a sample pound of this from my initial orders from them - loved the first pound so much bought a fiver.

However I tried using some of the different roast profiles on the Behmor and was not happy with the results at all! First roast using the sample was a P1 preset - highest roasting temperature and ramps up fastest. When I used this one, the coffee was fantastic.

This time I used the P2 and P4 presets. The temperature is supposed to ramp up slower and the roast is supposed to take longer. They were definiately longer, and they both definitely made it through 1st crack, but these roasts are a very far cry from when I did it on P1. Going to try another P1 with this bean and see if it gets back to what I was hoping for.
Sounds about right to me. I have done many roasts with all the profiles and now I stick to P1 or P5. With P5 I open the door about 1/2 way into first crack and drop down to P3. I'd say I use that on about 80-90% of the batches I do now.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Small beans are hard to roast in a air popper... Eg; Ethiopians and peaberries. I probably won't try those again until I upgrade to a roaster.
The small beans, especially the peaberry work really well with the stove top whirley-poppers. They just require some manual labor. It's much cheaper in the meantime as you save up for a roaster.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Small beans are hard to roast in a air popper... Eg; Ethiopians and peaberries. I probably won't try those again until I upgrade to a roaster.
That's a shame, Ethiopians are one of my favorites. As wad said earlier a stove top whirly pop is cheap (about 20ish bucks) and yields pretty good results, plus you can do larger batches. I usually do about a pound at a time, twice a week.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I tried blending, think I'll stick with single origin for now lol. Didn't turn out very good, but don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to that.
My beer brewing background gives me a little bit of an edge I think. I try to get familiar with the specific single origins I have then try to pair things up that I think will compliment each other. I balance acidity by mixing in a variety with low acidity to counter varieties with high acidity. I try to find varieties that have chocolate/cocoa flavors and then blend with varieties that have refined sugar/caramel flavors. I like to challenge myself and it keeps the hobby interesting to me. Naturally some results will be better than others. My best advice for blending is to start small and take good notes. Roast up a few different varieties and get an accurate scale. Then try blending just enough for a single cup to try. Having a pourover brewer or a French press works best for blend testing so you aren't committing to whole pots at a time in case you don't care for what you create.