What's new

Crowned Heads - La Imperiosa

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I know. Cigars are better when shared. Heck. I'm the only one buying but all my friends and my brother mooch off me. You guys aren't getting my point. It's the prestige of the Limited title. And that only a few are left.

And by people appreciating my efforts, I meant the makers. Some of us take care of those cigars for years. Suddenly making that cigar readily available is like a slap to our faces.

Look at it this way. A Honda will get you grom point A to point B. Same with a Bugatti. But the its the rarity that gets your heart beat fast.

@atbat82. No you're not a a complete dick. Just a little. Lol. Peace.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
This whole resizing a cigar and calling it something different is getting kinda old. Tennessee Waltz= Paniolo=
Yellow Rose= I'm sure there be another one.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I remember when I chased around town to get a "short packed" version of the Mr. Burns action figure from The Simpsons. After a week I finally found one and even paid a little extra for it. When I got home I realized it was the same exact figure as the regular one, just a different color pair of pants and tie. After all that running around and stressing over finding it, it wasn't really any different at all.

A few years later my house burned down and my entire collection was lost in the process, point being... Life is too short to sweat the small shit, cigars and hobbies are meant to be enjoyed and as soon as you take the fun out it's no longer a hobby.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I remember when I chased around town to get a "short packed" version of the Mr. Burns action figure from The Simpsons. After a week I finally found one and even paid a little extra for it. When I got home I realized it was the same exact figure as the regular one, just a different color pair of pants and tie. After all that running around and stressing over finding it, it wasn't really any different at all.

A few years later my house burned down and my entire collection was lost in the process, point being... Life is too short to sweat the small shit, cigars and hobbies are meant to be enjoyed and as soon as you take the fun out it's no longer a hobby.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I think a certain number of people "invested" in the LC2014's and are frustrated that their investment isn't going to pay out like they planned.
This isn't directed at you, personally, xjsnake, rather the concept of investing in cigars.

I don't understand anybody "investing" in cigars and then getting pissed when their "investment" doesn't flip them 500% returns in a year.
"All investments involve some degree of risk." is on every prospectus you read. Anyone who doesn't understand that, doesn't understand what investing is. Even retail sales, you are buying something with the hope that someone else wants to pay you more money for it than you paid yourself. But even with all the market research in the world, you are still assuming some degree of risk that you're going to get stuck with surplus inventory. Hell, that was a significant contributing factor to the great depression!

The second component that bugs me about "investing" in LE cigars is that anyone who is buying cigars with the intent to sell them at a later date for a profit--without the proper licensing-- is running an illegal business in all 50 states. Although I can think of a couple of very specific scenarios where the state might not come after you for the money, the feds sure as hell want their chunk of your income. And that's exactly what it is, income.

As a guy who has invested in getting the proper tax license from the state (which I'm still waiting on and involves a degree of risk because they could reject my application and not refund my money) in order to sell cigars legally, people running side jobs of tax-free cigar sales kind of piss me off. If you want to be in business, do it legally. Sit down once a month, fill out the TT-8 form, and send the revenuer a check by the 20th. Your state may vary, but everyone has to do something like it.

Manufacturers are in business. Businesses, by design, are intended to make money. If you have a product that is successful--even if it was limited release-- you'd be a fool to not try to recreate that. Maybe you do it well, maybe you don't, but you have to try. Anybody who thinks it's disingenuous marketing is completely free not to buy products from them anymore. I went off in BOTL Pipers GroupMe chat just last night about one manufacturer who will not get a penny of my money. Period. If enough people do that, manufacturers get the hint.

I, on the other hand, as a guy who buys cigars to smoke, am happy as can be about this announcement. I only got a fiver of the OR LC's (thanks to the generosity of a BOTL) and I think they're fantastic. The thought of getting a couple of boxes, excites me.

Thus endeth the sermon.
Edits: a couple of slight edits to clarify and for ease of reading.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I love the LC 2014, probably one of my favorite cigars ever. In that aspect I'm stoked about the announcement. Personally I could couldn't care less about an LE cigar. Yeah they're cool and all but I buy cigars to smoke.

On the other hand, to me making a LE cigar into a regular production line kinda defeats the purpose of a LE. IMO of course.

Myself, I'm curious if this is something we will see each year. Are the LC 2015 going to be a production line in 2016?

I'm a huge CH fanboy. The Jericho Hill are my "everyday" smokes. @Jon Huber is a genius in the cigar industry, again, IMO, I just hope they don't end up with too many "production" lines and loose sight of making quality cigars. Seems to me that their are companies that do something very well and try to keep expanding on that and end up with too many irons in the fire. I hope this doesn't happen to CH because they are a forerunner in the cigar industry.

All this is my opinion of course. YMMV

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
This isn't directed at you, personally, xjsnake, rather the concept of investing in cigars.

I don't understand anybody "investing" in cigars and then getting pissed when their "investment" doesn't flip them 500% returns in a year.
"All investments involve some degree of risk." is on every prospectus you read. Anyone who doesn't understand that, doesn't understand what investing is. Even retail sales, you are buying something with the hope that someone else wants to pay you more money for it than you paid yourself. But even with all the market research in the world, you are still assuming some degree of risk that you're going to get stuck with surplus inventory. Hell, that was a significant contributing factor to the great depression!

The second component that bugs me about "investing" in LE cigars is that anyone who is buying cigars with the intent to sell them at a later date for a profit--without the proper licensing-- is running an illegal business in all 50 states. Although I can think of a couple of very specific scenarios where the state might not come after you for the money, the feds sure as hell want their chunk of your income. And that's exactly what it is, income.

As a guy who has invested in getting the proper tax license from the state (which I'm still waiting on and involves a degree of risk because they could reject my application and not refund my money) in order to sell cigars legally, people running side jobs of tax-free cigar sales kind of piss me off. If you want to be in business, do it legally. Sit down once a month, fill out the TT-8 form, and send the revenuer a check by the 20th. Your state may vary, but everyone has to do something like it.

Manufacturers are in business. Businesses, by design, are intended to make money. If you have a product that is successful--even if it was limited release-- you'd be a fool to not try to recreate that. Maybe you do it well, maybe you don't, but you have to try. Anybody who thinks it's disingenuous marketing is completely free not to buy products from them anymore. I went off in BOTL Pipers GroupMe chat just last night about one manufacturer who will not get a penny of my money. Period. If enough people do that, manufacturers get the hint.

I, on the other hand, as a guy who buys cigars to smoke, am happy as can be about this announcement. I only got a fiver of the OR LC's (thanks to the generosity of a BOTL) and I think they're fantastic. The thought of getting a couple of boxes, excites me.

Thus endeth the sermon.
Edits: a couple of slight edits to clarify and for ease of reading.
Nothing personal about it, and for the record, I agree with you.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Nothing personal about it, and for the record, I agree with you.
Good, I read your post as you were talking about other people and didn't want you to think I was directing my irritation at you because I quoted you. Looks like we're all reading the same sheet of music.

Stogie_Bear

Chulo Savage
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I strongly believe we are way off base here.... first off, stop saying "rereleasing the same cigar in a different size."

It is not the same cigar. Difference in size has the potential to change everything, so calling it the same cigar is foolish. Insinuating that the blend will taste exactly the same is foolish. Insisting that your Las Calaveras 2014s are now worthless is foolish. Inferring that somehow Jon had the ability to make the LC2014 a regular production cigar on the first go, especially considering the obvious growth in market share and financial health of Crowned Heads over the last 12 months, is foolish.

Shoot me for saying so, but geez... let's take a better look at this one, please.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
BOTL - It's been interesting, to say the least, to read everyone's take here on La Imperiosa. Good--bad--indifferent, I appreciate and respect everyone's opinion.

My .02: I don't really see how La Imperiosa takes anything away from the OR Las Calaveras EL 2014. How does it 'cheapen' anyone'e experience who purchased the Las Calaveras '14? That cigar was released, people seemed to enjoy it, and now there will be an opportunity to enjoy that blend on a regular basis. Where did we go wrong there?

The reality is this--we released Las Calaveras EL 2014 last year. We /never/ said it was a Limited Edition (EL) due to some scarcity or limited production of tobaccos (ex: Four Kicks Mule Kick LE 2012...we produced 5,000 total cigars because that was all of the available tobacco for that blend--we never released Mule Kick as a regular production brand, despite the demand for it to this day).

After releasing Las Calaveras '14, and subsequently selling out the production, we /constantly/ received requests (from both retailers and consumers) to "..Make more Las Calaveras '14."

Yesterday, we announced that we are releasing the LC 14 blend--in the form of a regular production brand, i.e., La Imperiosa; and now we are getting 'backlash' for responding positively to that same demand??? Color me 'confused'....

Thanks for listening...

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://halfwheel.com/las-calaveras-edicion-limitada-2014-lc550/59398

Well then that's just false advertising right there.

But yeah I understand. I'd do the same thing if I were in their shoes. People want it. So give it to them. Just saying. Don't call it limited whatever if it isn't. That is my .02.

The LC 2014 was a fantastic cigar. CH makes fantastic cigars. But you can't blame me for feeling bad at the moment. It's great for the folks who didn't get the chance to smoke them before. But then again. What about the people who got romanced with the notion of a rare gem? After all, cigars are about experiences. And this takes some of it out.

Last edited: