What's new

Crowned Heads - La Imperiosa

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I've been smoking cigars for 34 years. When I find a blend I like, I buy multiple boxes. I'll usually smoke one box and put the others away for special occasions. There is something special about a LE cigar. After years of sitting in the humi there is nothing better than to have cigars to share with friends/ botls that they simply cannot be find again.Taking a cigar that was supposed to be a LE and making it a regular production cigar makes the cigars less special.
Everyone remembers the Mule Kick because it was special.
The LC is a great cigar, but nothing to sit around the campfire and talk about anymore because it now can be found anywhere anytime. All the waiting in anticipation of this release is lost.
I wish I could have the 72 Dolphins back but I cant.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been smoking cigars for 34 years. When I find a blend I like, I buy multiple boxes. I'll usually smoke one box and put the others away for special occasions. There is something special about a LE cigar. After years of sitting in the humi there is nothing better than to have cigars to share with friends/ botls that they simply cannot be find again.Taking a cigar that was supposed to be a LE and making it a regular production cigar makes the cigars less special.
Everyone remembers the Mule Kick because it was special.
The LC is a great cigar, but nothing to sit around the campfire and talk about anymore because it now can be found anywhere anytime. All the waiting in anticipation of this release is lost.
^^^ This. It's about the experience. Smoking something that can not be found anymore.

And dare I say, at the risk of antagonizing everyone. People who say otherwise are smoking for the habit, not the hobby.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
I have a hard time believing that. If folks are miffed by the fact that they have hoarded boxes of the 2014 LC, I wouldn't be worried that they will be devalued in any way. It is differentiated by the band and the size. Also, if I am sitting around a campfire and I have the new cigar and you have the 2014 LC, we have two different cigars. The 2014 Las Calaveras aren't being rereleased, therefore the La Imperiosa is not the same as 2014 Las Calaveras.

Rating - 90%
9   1   0
^^^ This. It's about the experience. Smoking something that can not be found anymore.

And dare I say, at the risk of antagonizing everyone. People who say otherwise are smoking for the habit, not the hobby.
So some like me who smokes three times per week (max) and who generally doesn't care about limited releases is smoking out of habit and not for enjoyment of the hobby?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the exact same bkend Kill King.
IMO. And I may be so so Wrong. They should've released a TWEAKED version if the 2014s. Even if its just 1% difference. At least that way, they would've appeased both parties.

Stogie_Bear

Chulo Savage
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I think we need to set some ground rules on terminology. Yes, the blend is the same. Meaning they used the same leaves from the same priming from the same farm. No, the proportions and differences in the smoking experience caused by the change in size/shape CANNOT possibly be the same. Therefore, it is a "tweaked" Las Calaveras 2014, as you wish, because the Las Calaveras only exists as such in the 5x50, 6x52, and 7x54. I think some of you may be getting the Las Calaveras 2014 confused with the La Imperiosa, available in 5 3/4 x 46, 4 1/2 x 52, 6 3/8 x 50, and 5 1/2 x 54.

Also, I believe "false advertising" is pretty strong considering the article you cited was Halfwheel, an independent company in no way affiliated with Crowned Heads.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just 1 site. Other sites called it Edicion Limitada or whatever. I doubt that these people merely assumed that the LC was limited ed.

Stogie_Bear

Chulo Savage
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
That's just 1 site. Other sites called it Edicion Limitada or whatever. I doubt that these people merely assumed that the LC was limited ed.
You mean like you're assuming that doubt right now? Not to mention most of the sites I've seen say "limited to 1000 boxes per size for the year 2014" or something similar.... It's been the year 2015 for 6 months now.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Smoqman smoke them blind. Tell us if you can tell the difference. If you can, then you are one of a few and you should get a job as a master blender or taster or whatever. I hear it pays a ton. Congratulations.

We've all said our piece. And this will go on forever. So let's just go and smoke what we want.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
http://halfwheel.com/las-calaveras-edicion-limitada-2014-lc550/59398

Well then that's just false advertising right there.

But yeah I understand. I'd do the same thing if I were in their shoes. People want it. So give it to them. Just saying. Don't call it limited whatever if it isn't. That is my .02.

The LC 2014 was a fantastic cigar. CH makes fantastic cigars. But you can't blame me for feeling bad at the moment. It's great for the folks who didn't get the chance to smoke them before. But then again. What about the people who got romanced with the notion of a rare gem? After all, cigars are about experiences. And this takes some of it out.
Never had an LC so I have no horse in this race but quoting halfwheel is not the same as manufacturer claiming something. I also think that it's important that it is a different size. There are several cigar blends I like in only one size (or strongly prefer one size) because the size changes the flavor and experience.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
One of my favorite cigars is the Angel's Anvil 2014 and to my understanding it was a LE. When they announced that the 2015 was a different blend I was somewhat disappointed as I had hoped it would be the same blend in a just in a different size (I do have a box of the 2015 arriving today though :happy:). So if they ever re release the 2014 I will be very happy and smoke my last half box without worrying about never having them available again. I definitely won't be upset that one of my favorites will be available on a regular basis!

Another thing, I have a full box of 2014 Tat TAA and just a couple of the 2012's left and I think those are the same blend in a different size if I'm not mistaken. I still find it special when I smoke the 2012 even though I know I have a full box of the 2014 left.

I don't understand being upset with a company that listened to the people and gave them what they wanted. More companies should do that. I say kudos to the man @JonHuber for listening.

I don't really have a dog in the fight since I am one of the few who didn't care for the LC 2014, but I'm looking forward to trying the CG size.

-Mike

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
@Smoqman smoke them blind. Tell us if you can tell the difference. If you can, then you are one of a few and you should get a job as a master blender or taster or whatever. I hear it pays a ton. Congratulations.

We've all said our piece. And this will go on forever. So let's just go and smoke what we want.
I'm not as fancy as smoqman but I can smoke 3 different sizes of T52s and tell you they are definitely different.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
The reality is this--we released Las Calaveras EL 2014 last year. We /never/ said it was a Limited Edition (EL) due to some scarcity or limited production of tobaccos (ex: Four Kicks Mule Kick LE 2012...we produced 5,000 total cigars because that was all of the available tobacco for that blend--we never released Mule Kick as a regular production brand, despite the demand for it to this day).
Not LE due to scarcity or tobacco production. LE due to that size, label, blend and box for that year. Each year will change.