What's new

Crowned Heads - La Imperiosa

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
As in "You can't please everyone, so you gotta please yourself."

@JonHuber, haters gonna hate! In the mean time, those of us who love the blend will continue to rejoice over the fact that something that we thought we'd lost for good has been found, and in abundant and continuous supply.
Oh. Never heard that associated with a garden party...

See folks, BOTL can teach you something new any given day ( even after hanging around for 5 years).

As for the cigars, I'm pumped. When I smoked an LC 2014, I thought "I'd love this in a smaller gauge..." and my dreams came true. Thanks @Jon Huber. And thank you for being part of this conversation. I'm sorry if some of the brothers forgot this place is about building community, and not just a soapbox for airing grievances. (And, brothers, this is in no way pointed at anyone person or persons - if you feel this applies to you, I'm apologizing outward, not fingerpointing inward at you. )

Big love, all around.

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm super-psyched for this release!!! Unlike many guys here, I missed the LC2014 boat--I had a crazy year. I had little or no time to focus on cigars until the holidays, and by then it was too late. All LC2014s were gone. All I know about Crowned Heads is that they make a damn fine cigar at a totally reasonable and fair price. That's the only thing that's really relevant to the consumer: high quality, fair price. If I owned Crowned Heads and saw the insane demand for the Las Calaveras brand, I would do the same thing. When the people at Crowned Heads decided to release LC2014 EL, how could they gauge how the cigar would be received? Could they have predicted how well it would have been received? No way. They made a great cigar and people want it. GIVE THEM WHAT THEY WANT. I buy cigars to smoke them. If a person bought LC14s to put away in their humidor so that they would be 400% more valuable in the market place 5 years down the road, I don't know what to tell you. But guess what? You still have a box of LC14s, not a box of La Imperiosas (which, by the way, is a really cool name with historical significance). It amazes me how people, who enjoy the benefits of a free-market society every day, can turn against that system so quickly. Crowned Heads is FREE to do whatever the hell they want, because we all live in a FREE-MARKET society. If you don't like it, pack your bags and move to Mogadishu.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
As in "You can't please everyone, so you gotta please yourself."

@JonHuber, haters gonna hate! In the mean time, those of us who love the blend will continue to rejoice over the fact that something that we thought we'd lost for good has been found, and in abundant and continuous supply.
Exactly this! So there are a few people that are upset and can't seem to realize that a different size of the same blend (which could still be very different as the crops vary from year to year) will provide a different smoking experience than what they have previously had in a different vitola that has now also been aged an extra year. From my limited experience in rolling cigars at home, even the same base blend is going to have a very different smoking experience in different vitolas and I am no expert.

@JonHuber cannot please everyone, but what he is doing is pleasing the majority and is the right thing to do for his business. If you don't like it, that's fine. Don't buy it so the rest of us that love CH sticks and this blend can buy it.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Oh. Never heard that associated with a garden party...
Ah. The lyric "See ya can't please everyone, so ya gotta please yourself" is from the song Garden Party by Rick Nelson.

When I smoked an LC 2014, I thought "I'd love this in a smaller gauge..." and my dreams came true. Thanks @Jon Huber. And thank you for being part of this conversation.
Ditto this.

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I mean, why didn't they just make it a regular production in the first place?
Lol, you're kidding, right? They didn't have a crystal ball. Damn them!!! LOL!!!

Also because the company, Crowned Heads, probably didn't have the money to buy enough tobacco from My Father Cigars S.A. to produce more LC14 ELs than the amount produced. Last time I checked, tobacco is a commodity--not an asset. Old Man Pepin grows some of the best tobacco on the market, so I don't imagine it's cheap. And I bet, had CH predicted the demand and had they had enough money to do it at that time, they would've definitely put the LC14 EL into regular production. How could they not?

Let's say I own a company that makes pens. I can only afford to make and sell 1000 pens. People love the pens I made and they sell out in a week. I find out that 100,000 people want my pens. What do I do now?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
a different size of the same blend (which could still be very different as the crops vary from year to year) will provide a different smoking experience than what they have previously had in a different vitola that has now also been aged an extra year.
THIS^^^ Specifically, the highlighted points... In a way, don't these things make the original 2014 LE a little more special? Years from now, anyone who has the originals can bust them out and say "hey man, ya like La Imperiosa? Check this out - the original 2014 LC that the LI was based on..."

I have no dog in this fight, but I like this forum and I'd really like to see everyone find some happy here...

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
My thoughts (I know you all were anxiously awaiting them):

Mixed reaction. On the plus side, I remember smoking LC550 and being blown away. I don't like what mine did with a year in the humi, wasn't to my tastes. So, I'm pumped that me and everyone else can experience the "wow" again.

Part of me is a little bummed, though. When I saw CH was expanding regular production line, I was super pumped for something new and different. LC2015 seemed out of the wheelhouse of what CH has been producing lately. It is unique. I can't say I've had a stick like that in recent memory. So damn good.

So I'm a selfish consumer. Sue me. Damn fine work, Jon.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
If CH doeant take a sharpie and write LE on every band I will be solely disappointed..... Serious Jon da F*ck were you thinking giving us exactly what we have been asking for! In seriousness thanks looking forward to it

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
BOTL - And we're not gonna "re-package" the cigars in some marketing-driven BS bundle with a goofy name/sticker on them and charge you $18++ per cigar....

Just saying. LOL

Cheers.

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads
This release will give me the opportunity to try the 2014 EL next to the Imperiosa and taste-test. As well as test the Imperiosa against the 2015 EL!