What's new

Fuente Anejo's with Mold!!!!

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
After following another post on mold here at the BOTL and inspecting my Anejo's and finding mold, I decided to start another thread with Anejo and mold in the subject line in case other brothers with Anejo cigars were not following that thread.

This is not a new issue here or at other online cigar forums. If you have been following it you know what I am talking about. I'd like to use this thread as a place you can post your Anejo mold issues, what steps you are taking and what if any kind of luck you are having returning them.

Ok this is what I found last night while inspecting my Anejos. Be very careful not to just inspect the cigars while in the cello, take them out of the cello for inspection. Most of my 2 dozen or so cigars did not show the mold while in the cello but did once removed. Most of my cigars show mold on the foot with some having mold on the wrapper and the foot. If you have any of the Anejos wrapped in cedar slide out the cigar and take a closer look, I found mold there too! Luckily my Shark from the Carlito's Way sampler seems fine so far but others online have found mold on them too so don't forget to check those also.

Needless to say I removed all of this years Anejos from the NC humi and bagged them. I sent Holts an e-mail this morning asking if they can be returned. I will post the reply here.

It will be nice if they return my money but I am more concerned about losing a year in my rotation of Anejo's. I buy the Anejo's and put them down for a year and smoke the previous years stock. They are incredible with a year or more on them. I'll miss them next year for sure!!!

Hopefully your luck will be better than mine but either way don't put off a closer inspection of the Anejo's you bought this season.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Thanks for the informative post and update John. The one I have is the sand shark from the same sampler. I looked pretty good at it, but did not remove from the cello. I certainly will do so. I will also check to see if feels too moist as when they roll them they are too wet. I am sure Holt's will take care of this matter and they probably are aware of the issue. I am really surprised at this from Fuente.

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Thanks for the heads up. I picked up quite a few of these this season and to be real honest I did notice something that I assumed was plume. After reading this post I am about to take a much closer look at my inventory.

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
After careful review...I removed a total of 12 Sharks out of my cabinet for suspicion. The white substance on the wrapper wipes off easily. However, there is definitely visible evidence of something white on the foot of each of these sticks. All of which were purchased this season. The rest of which that I have been aging for sometime now are perfectly fine.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
From other posts online it seems that some are good but a majority may have mold on or in them.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Ouch...Of course, I have no clue if they inspect the boxes before shipping them out?

gpugliese

Beware the penguins...
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
i had no mold on the 46's, 48's, 49's, 50's or 55's that I got from Tampa Sweethearts and/or a Boston B&M. Nor the 77 Sand Sharks from Holt's. The 77's from TS, however, had a few white spores near the foot, so I took the cedar out and wiped it off.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
had two out of ten sand sharks with the suspect white stuff,,, coming off the body of the smoke and connecting with the cello. took all of them out of their cellos, and put them in their own humi! not sure what else to do,,, guess i'll smoke em!

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Here's a direct reply from a representative of the Fuente's regarding the mold issue:

We are sorry to hear about the negative experience you had with our cigars. I am forwarding your email to Holts, and I am sure they will make good on any problem you have. They are very reputable and like the Fuente Family they stand behind every product they sell.

I would also ask you to contact the other retailers so they intern can make good on this problem.

I will contact Carlito and make him aware of this so he may have his supervisors in the Dominican Republic follow up on and see what is occurring.

Again we are truly sorry for this inconvenience and we pledge to look into this, determine the problem and resolve it is an expeditious manor.

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and we thank you for supporting our company.

Karl Herzog A. Fuente & Co.,Inc.

Taken from this thread

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Well I heard back from Holts today with good results.

John,

Dallas passed on your email to me in reference to your Anejos. Bring back anything you bought here and I will take a look at them. Needless to say I can’t replace them because the Company doesn’t have anymore. I will give you a refund or a store credit.

Gregory Kushner
Assistant General Manager
Holts Cigar Company
1522 Walnut St
Philadelphia, Pa 19102

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Seems to me like Fuente should be doing the refunding. Or is this strictly a Holts matter?

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
what rh do you guys store your NC's at?? i have been storing my anejos with my cc's at 60% and havent found mold yet. and ive been looking very carefully since this topic has come up.