What's new

Fuente Anejo's with Mold!!!!

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
TAKE OUT THE BOVEDA PACK!!! I've found a couple of them in my Anejo boxes have released humidity at 80%!

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I didn't know this was an old thread so kinda freaked as I have a dozen or so boxes half being 77's. So anyway after checking no mold on anything I think maybe a new thread would have been better than bring up a ancient one even if it's the same issue.

THIS THREAD IS FROM 2007!! The last few posts are recent

Altercall

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
There was a shipment in 07-08 that was VERY susceptible to mold. Many boxes started growing mold in, or directly out of the shop. Anejos in general seem to be more susceptible to mold than other sticks, though, so its good to check them periodically.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
TAKE OUT THE BOVEDA PACK!!! I've found a couple of them in my Anejo boxes have released humidity at 80%!
Seriously? Never heard of this happening before. I've got 30 jars with cigars in each of them along with a 65% Boveda and all are in top form. Some of the jars are holding steady after two years with the same pack.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I never leave the humi pac in any of my boxes, too big of a risk. I've heard horror stories of people having to throw out whole boxes because they leaked.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I know a lot of the CAO Vision boxes ended up getting moldy because of the humipacks inside. CAO had to recall a decent % of the release due to that. As it happens, the Vision wrappers just like a lower humidity than 70% (I keep mine at 60% and they are quite fantastic cigars). So I always take mine out and just let the cigars in the bin all be humidified by the cedar, which itself is aided by my beads.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Seriously? Never heard of this happening before. I've got 30 jars with cigars in each of them along with a 65% Boveda and all are in top form. Some of the jars are holding steady after two years with the same pack.
That's interesting. Are they cigars that came in jars, or did you aquire jars just to age them this way? Lately I've been considering the "no-air" concept to aging and I'm wondering how it works for people.

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
That's interesting. Are they cigars that came in jars, or did you aquire jars just to age them this way? Lately I've been considering the "no-air" concept to aging and I'm wondering how it works for people.
Same question here too.
Thanks

Altercall

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Yep. I've got two Fuente boveda packs that I just gave up on after swinging them from on after switching them around from cooler to cooler. Every cooler I've put them in has shot up to 80%. I had been burping one cooler every couple days to try and control the humidity. Haven't had a problem since getting rid of the Fuente rh pack.

It might just be the interaction of the rh pack and the beads in the same storage container. Either way, I've given p on them as a humidity aid.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
No, I buy the jars by the case and use them instead of a humidor. You can fit 30 coronas or 20 of a 50 ring guage in a 2 Liter Fido jar. I use the 65% Boveda packs because I do open the jars fairly often when I want a cigar, I'd imagine that if you planned to use the jars strictly for aging you'd be best served with the smaller Boveda shipping pack since the jars are air tight.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco-Glass-Canning-Italian/dp/B0032F2OLI/ref=pd_sim_k_1"]Amazon.com: Case of 6 Bormioli Rocco Fido Glass Canning Jar Italian - 2 Liter: Home & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31t5oZiVe1L.@@AMEPARAM@@31t5oZiVe1L[/ame]

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
No, I buy the jars by the case and use them instead of a humidor. You can fit 30 coronas or 20 of a 50 ring guage in a 2 Liter Fido jar. I use the 65% Boveda packs because I do open the jars fairly often when I want a cigar, I'd imagine that if you planned to use the jars strictly for aging you'd be best served with the smaller Boveda shipping pack since the jars are air tight.

Amazon.com: Case of 6 Bormioli Rocco Fido Glass Canning Jar Italian - 2 Liter: Home & Garden
Strife, wow, that is friggin awsome. I'm gonna check it out, might be exactly what I need?
Thanks!